What's the situation now on 120Hz recording in games and elsewhere?

All Unidentified Forum Objects go in this area! Any fun alien talk goes in this U.F.O. Abduction Lounge, even topics other than monitors or computers. Introduce yourself!
RonsonPL

What's the situation now on 120Hz recording in games and elsewhere?

Post by RonsonPL » 11 Aug 2021, 16:14

Hi

This topic will be mostly about gaming, cause camera recording can have issues with blur (shutter speed settings etc.)

Youtube only allows to get 120fps by a trick. Record in slow motion, upload as 60fps at 50% speed, and the viewer sets the playback speed to 2.0x
Tried googling for some content but :|
It's really hard to find anything.

Help me get up to date

1. Is there a way to record 120fps easily using hardware integrated in GPU, so good image quality and almost no CPU performance degradation?
2. If so, which cards allow for that?
3. If my ancient graphics card doesn't support it, what's the chance for CPU?
- Is it possible to record uncompressed video during gaming, to encode it later on? If yes, does it work with SSDs or it still requires a RAM disk? (Tried long time ago, good SATA SSD was capable of 300MB/s write speed but it didn't work even at 540p at 70MB/s)
- if it's doable, does it require certain specs, like 6core would work, but 4 cores not etc?

Then of course. Higher refreshrates. Not sure if framerate is capped by hardware or it's technically possible to record at any framerate as long as software allows for that and it's within bandwidth capabilities of the hardware.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: What's the situation now on 120Hz recording in games and elsewhere?

Post by RealNC » 13 Aug 2021, 03:44

RonsonPL wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 16:14
1. Is there a way to record 120fps easily using hardware integrated in GPU, so good image quality and almost no CPU performance degradation?
2. If so, which cards allow for that?
3. If my ancient graphics card doesn't support it, what's the chance for CPU?
- Is it possible to record uncompressed video during gaming, to encode it later on? If yes, does it work with SSDs or it still requires a RAM disk? (Tried long time ago, good SATA SSD was capable of 300MB/s write speed but it didn't work even at 540p at 70MB/s)
- if it's doable, does it require certain specs, like 6core would work, but 4 cores not etc?
It's doable. I can record 120FPS with OBS using nvenc to offload encoding to my GPU (a 980 Ti.) You aren't even limited to 120FPS. You can do 180FPS, 240FPS, or even higher, as long as your GPU's video encoder is fast enough, and also your CPU is fast enough to actually grab the frames from the game at those speeds.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: What's the situation now on 120Hz recording in games and elsewhere?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Nov 2021, 14:17

IndiiOw wrote:
14 Nov 2021, 09:46
How do I know if my CPU is fast enough to sustain that capacity?
It’s usually more the GPU responsibility for streaming, not the CPU. A good RTX card will have no problem streaming without a significant drop in frame rate — If your recent NVIDIA RTX GPU already can far exceed 120fps, there is usually no issue streaming at 120 if your Internet connection is fast enough.

You will have to check experienced streamers. I recommend the Discord channels that covers this such as HalfwayDead’s as well as MonitorEnthusiasts. Some of them have an area for streamers who are discussing how to do high-frame-rate streaming, and the system requirements.

We welcome streamers to post here to exchange ideas too!

So I’ll let others chime in, if there are others reading.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!