Passive 3D Displays and Devices in 2020

All Unidentified Forum Objects go in this area! Any fun alien talk goes in this U.F.O. Abduction Lounge, even topics other than monitors or computers. Introduce yourself!
CameraTraveler27

Passive 3D Displays and Devices in 2020

Post by CameraTraveler27 » 06 Oct 2020, 13:24

There a amazing amount of technical knowledge on this forum and after my research I'm having a hell of a time finding any 2D/3D displays that use passive 3D polarized glasses. Surely someone is still making them or are available in the aftermarket. The ideal device would be a either be 4K portable display roughly around 15" OR a Windows 10 tablet (or 2-n-1) with about a 15" 4K display. Any leads or keywords you can offer me to help find what I'm looking for would be very appreciated.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Passive 3D Displays and Devices in 2020

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Oct 2020, 15:21

For passive, there's a variety of small ones; stereoscopic (2-image) or "holographic" (full side-to-side parallax)?
https://www.magnetic3d.com/products/displays/
https://lookingglassfactory.com

Have you considered active 3D? They work on most high-Hz gaming monitors, with some hacks. Usually stereoscopic displays use a strobe backlight so you can commandeer a display's motion blur reduction mode to do the same thing. But a workaround can be simply sheer Hz -- a generic 240Hz panel can double as a 120Hz shutter-glasses display using software BFI (left-black-right-black frame sequence), using black frames for the shutter-glasses switch time. You will need a shutter glasses controller that can adjust phase/delay. This can be somewhat of a hacky solution.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

CameraTraveler27

Post by CameraTraveler27 » 08 Oct 2020, 15:25

Thank you! I took the time to research the two links you provided and unfortunately Magnetic 3D Displays only make glassesless displays and nothing around 15". Looking Glass is amazing but the kind of content that is compatible with their displays in more 3D models and not VR content. Looks like my best bet is to use active shutter 3D glasses with this 17" 120Hz TN LCD for my portable application. Specs I wouldn't have known to look for without your help so thank you. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YBV8RQM/?c ... _lig_dp_it

We also need to create a more stationary, large sit down Three monitor setup. Two final questions I have for you are can active 3D glasses work with a LED (not LCD) display if it's 120Hz? I ask because there are a lot more very affordable large LEDs rather than LCDs.

The other question is if VRR, G-Sync or FreeSync absolutely needed for a display when using Active shutter glasses or would the variable nature of these three technologies actually make the shutter glasses go out of sync with the display?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Oct 2020, 20:05

CameraTraveler27 wrote:
08 Oct 2020, 15:25
Thank you! I took the time to research the two links you provided and unfortunately Magnetic 3D Displays only make glassesless displays and nothing around 15". Looking Glass is amazing but the kind of content that is compatible with their displays in more 3D models and not VR content. Looks like my best bet is to use active shutter 3D glasses with this 17" 120Hz TN LCD for my portable application. Specs I wouldn't have known to look for without your help so thank you. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YBV8RQM/?c ... _lig_dp_it
Try a 240Hz TN portable screen with a large blanking intercal (Vertical Total 2250) in Custom Resolution, to allow 120Hz refresh cycles to scan in only 1/240sec so your glasses shutter can be open for a longer period (4ms or so) on completed refresh cycles, since not all pixels refresh at the same time, www.blurbusters.com/scanout
- the need for fast GtG
- the need for a guard period (long VBI or strobe backlight) during eye change
- the need for less crosstalk
- the need for a brighter image.

I also provide consulting services on 3D glasses systems, see https://services.blurbusters.com and contact me [email protected] .... as Present()-to-Photons expert ourselves, we can guide a business on such matters.

Refresh rate headroom is your best friend in reducing 3D glasses crosstalk for a non-strobed LCD

VRR is incompatible, unfortunately with active shutter glasses. In theory, passive 3D can be done with VRR.

There are many possible options, but also easy to go the wrong route because of a missed consideration.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

CameraTraveler27

Post by CameraTraveler27 » 09 Oct 2020, 12:28

Thank you Mark. I'm interested in purchasing some time for a phone consultation. I'm available today and just sent you a email with my details.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Oct 2020, 13:08

Emailed. I'm already helping multiple 3D vendors on the confusing Present()-to-Photons black box.

Note: I prefer video calling, as I am deaf, and all my video software (Zoom, Skype, Discord) have closed captioning features or plug-ins nowadays.

RonaldKTM

Post by RonaldKTM » 27 Jun 2021, 07:37

Hi Mark,

Just new to this site and forum.

I am looking to customize/develop a simple dichoptic stimuli (eg gray background both eyes and "R" seen by the right eye and a "L" seen by the left eye) at 40 cm and 4 M viewing distance, with an active shutter system.

What do you suggest? I am pleased to take this offline and invest in your services.

Ron

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Aug 2021, 04:49

RonaldKTM wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 07:37
Hi Mark,

Just new to this site and forum.

I am looking to customize/develop a simple dichoptic stimuli (eg gray background both eyes and "R" seen by the right eye and a "L" seen by the left eye) at 40 cm and 4 M viewing distance, with an active shutter system.

What do you suggest? I am pleased to take this offline and invest in your services.
Hello Ron, you may contact [email protected] for Blur Busters Services. I have worked with multiple stereoscopic 3D clients.

Thank you!

LiguFlo

Post by LiguFlo » 08 Apr 2022, 07:14

Here are some passive monitor options.

They are costly. The contour does not require glasses, but you need to sit in front of it at a specific angle for it to work.

Vision Engineering Contour
VrLogic SeeHawk
Schneider PluraView
Vision Engineering Vectour

There are some DIY guides for making your own beam splitter. Maybe worth a try if you're handy... The monitors used are not actually all that expensive, from what I read.

BlackMyth

Post by BlackMyth » 22 Jun 2022, 22:05

Given that they are inexpensive glasses with an inexpensive system, they probably can tolerate some aberration. Will watching a 3D movie cause you to notice minute image problems? The plastic film-based products are also much less expensive than things like quartz.

In addition, I'm sure economies of scale play a role.