When dimensions of leading edge chips like GPU is reaching nanometers, why the field is still called as microelectronics

All Unidentified Forum Objects go in this area! Any fun alien talk goes in this U.F.O. Abduction Lounge, even topics other than monitors or computers. Introduce yourself!
CB_cat

When dimensions of leading edge chips like GPU is reaching nanometers, why the field is still called as microelectronics

Post by CB_cat » 07 May 2023, 12:38

I know that this question is not directly relevant at Blur Busters Forum, but I'm tempted to ask it here because I have a feeling that the answers that I can get here could be better than my imagination and will let me learn "n" number of new things which I was not aware of.

The latest GPUs from Nvidia or AMD are on process nodes of <= 7 or 5 nm. So, why don't we call the current VLSI technology as "Nano-electronics" as opposed to "micro-electronics"?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: When dimensions of leading edge chips like GPU is reaching nanometers, why the field is still called as microelectro

Post by RealNC » 13 May 2023, 10:12

CB_cat wrote:
07 May 2023, 12:38
The latest GPUs from Nvidia or AMD are on process nodes of <= 7 or 5 nm. So, why don't we call the current VLSI technology as "Nano-electronics" as opposed to "micro-electronics"?
"Micro" stand for "microscopic." The opposite of "macroscopic."
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

CB_cat

Re: When dimensions of leading edge chips like GPU is reaching nanometers, why the field is still called as microelectro

Post by CB_cat » 21 May 2023, 10:26

Thanks. It makes sense when read this way.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Aug 2023, 03:58

We still use micro for many things -- like microprocessors, microcontrollers, etc.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!