Frametime

All Unidentified Forum Objects go in this area! Any fun alien talk goes in this U.F.O. Abduction Lounge, even topics other than monitors or computers. Introduce yourself!
Tutuzu

Frametime

Post by Tutuzu » 21 Sep 2023, 00:45

Hi, everyone! I'm having trouble measuring frametime in Fallout 4. So far I've used 3 programs: RTSS + CapFrameX , OCAT , FPS Monitor. I ran the game at 60fps with no external RTSS lock with in-game Vsync ON. CapFrameX presented me with 16.6ms with occasional fluctuations. OCAT registered 16.9ms, again, with occasional highs and lows. However, judging by FPS Monitor, the frametime is incredibly inconsistent, with it never staying the same, and sometimes going well above 20ms or below 14ms. I take it that the issue with the latter is that the program doesn't count the average, but rather presents me with instantaneous results, but that's just a guess. I'm new to the whole 'framerate & frametime' thing, so I might be doing everything wrong.

My question is: which program shows my frametime proreply? And is it actually as consistent as all the test on the Internet deem it to be? A flat 16.6 or 33.3ms line?

Thanks to whoever answers my thread in advance

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Frametime

Post by RealNC » 21 Sep 2023, 02:18

Tutuzu wrote:
21 Sep 2023, 00:45
(Moved to off-topic.)

Fallout 4 isn't exactly known for stable frame times. Just saying :P
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Tutuzu

Post by Tutuzu » 21 Sep 2023, 03:48

Maybe so. But the question isn't as much about the inconsistency of the frametime in-game (though having a stable one would be preferable), as it is about the programs confidently showing disparate measurements. Hence the question : which program is telling the truth.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 22 Sep 2023, 08:10

Tutuzu wrote:
21 Sep 2023, 03:48
Maybe so. But the question isn't as much about the inconsistency of the frametime in-game (though having a stable one would be preferable), as it is about the programs confidently showing disparate measurements. Hence the question : which program is telling the truth.
They are probably measuring different things. There's different kinds of frame time. Frame presentation interval is one example. This is what RTSS measures. This is the interval at which the game itself presents a frame to the used API (like DirectX or Vulkan.) It's up to the GPU when exactly to actually show these frames. Which brings us to another kind of frame time: the interval at which the frames actually get shown by the GPU and become visible on the display.

Those two frame times can differ.

Edit:

There's also another kind of frame time. It's the amount of time that elapsed between the game starting to render a frame and presenting it. So again, you need to know what exactly the software you're using is actually measuring.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Tutuzu

Post by Tutuzu » 23 Sep 2023, 06:52

Sorry for the late reply and thank you for the answer you provided! I suppose the right type of frametime is stated somehwere in the settigs of the programs, though I'm not sure where exactly. I'll have to look ino this.

Alardert

Post by Alardert » 16 Jan 2024, 13:21

Hi, I have a similar problem with frametime in Fallout 4. I think the game engine is not very optimized for high FPS and causes a lot of stuttering and inconsistency. I have tried different programs to measure frametime, but none of them seem to agree with each other. I have read that the best way to stabilize frametime is to cap your FPS to 60 or lower, and disable V-sync and weapon debris in the game settings Some people also recommend using Fast Sync or Enhanced Sync in your GPU drivers I have not tried these solutions yet, but I hope they work. I wish Bethesda would fix their game engine and make it more smooth and stable. It's a shame that such a great game has such a poor performance. Fallout 4 and escape rooms are my favorite ways to spend a weekend. Fallout 4 is an amazing post-apocalyptic role-playing game that lets you explore a vast open world, customize your character, craft weapons and armor, and fight against various enemies and factions. It has a gripping story, immersive graphics, and addictive gameplay. I can spend hours playing it and never get bored. Escape rooms are also a lot of fun. They are immersive, interactive, and thrilling. You get to work as a team at all rooms solve puzzles, and escape from a challenging scenario. You can choose from different themes, such as horror, mystery, adventure, or comedy. They test your ingenuity and skills, and also give you a rush of adrenaline. I think Fallout 4 and escape rooms are great hobbies for anyone who loves adventure and creativity. They are both ways to escape from reality and have fun with your imagination. I recommend them to anyone who is looking for something new and exciting to do.