Variable input lag

All Unidentified Forum Objects go in this area! Any fun alien talk goes in this U.F.O. Abduction Lounge, even topics other than monitors or computers. Introduce yourself!
Tutuzu

Variable input lag

Post by Tutuzu » 09 Oct 2023, 04:06

Lately I've been trying to find the perfect setup for playing games at 30 fps. So far, after weeks of thread-surfing, I have come to the conclusion that the formula for the smoothest 30fps is as follows:
-driver-level 1/2 vsync (in NVPI)
-RTSS external lock at 30 fps
-set maximum pre-rendered frames to 1 to decrease input lag.

The latter is the problem. If I follow all the steps, then I will seemingly achieve what I seek: a stable framerate with a stable frametime. However, should I open the menu or the inventory screen and then close it, then the input lag will change (it will increase, to be precise). It drives me up the wall, because I can't quite figure out what parameters I have to turn on or off or decrease or increase in order to nullify the occurence of the variable IL.

Now, I did find a post here, on Blur Busters, dedicated to the exact same problem (that's where I picked up the name of it from, anyway), but there didn't seem to be a solution to it. People just pondered and shared whatever tests they'd conducted in various games.

Thanks in advance to whomever answers

loccomacco

Re: Variable input lag

Post by loccomacco » 09 Oct 2023, 05:28

Tutuzu wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 04:06
Lately I've been trying to find the perfect setup for playing games at 30 fps. So far, after weeks of thread-surfing, I have come to the conclusion that the formula for the smoothest 30fps is as follows:
-driver-level 1/2 vsync (in NVPI)
-RTSS external lock at 30 fps
-set maximum pre-rendered frames to 1 to decrease input lag.

The latter is the problem. If I follow all the steps, then I will seemingly achieve what I seek: a stable framerate with a stable frametime. However, should I open the menu or the inventory screen and then close it, then the input lag will change (it will increase, to be precise). It drives me up the wall, because I can't quite figure out what parameters I have to turn on or off or decrease or increase in order to nullify the occurence of the variable IL.

Now, I did find a post here, on Blur Busters, dedicated to the exact same problem (that's where I picked up the name of it from, anyway), but there didn't seem to be a solution to it. People just pondered and shared whatever tests they'd conducted in various games.

Thanks in advance to whomever answers
Add up lowering your screen brightness to it's lowest possible, maybe make your screen colors more black or red IDK, underclock and undervolt GPU and CPU, have more but I think you don't mind about them.
Anyways, even if does work, probably it not good to play with 30 fps, I have seen once fr33thy (not sure if I spelled it write, but he is a well known windows tweaker on YouTube) played with 30 fps and he was so satisfied of his game. In my opinion you can play better but as the time goes, your problems will come back (anyways I don't know what problems you have and why you want to play with 30 fps)

Tutuzu

Post by Tutuzu » 09 Oct 2023, 06:38

Thank you for your reply, but I'm sure that the issue has nothing to do with my monitor. As for underclocking and undervolting (though I'm not sure how this may help either), I'd rather leave this as the last resort.

Alardert

Post by Alardert » 15 Jan 2024, 10:04

I have the same problem with variable IL. I use 1/2 vsync, RTSS, and max pre-rendered frames 1, but the input lag still changes when I open menus. It's very annoying and I can't find a fix.