Overwatch League Using PG258Q

All Unidentified Forum Objects go in this area! Any fun alien talk goes in this U.F.O. Abduction Lounge, even topics other than monitors or computers. Introduce yourself!
open

Overwatch League Using PG258Q

Post by open » 10 Jan 2018, 23:45

At this point I am just a hopeless fanboy for my PG258Q. So I noticed they are using it for the overwatch league. Clearly they picked the best 240hz monitor.

DevinGil

Re: Overwatch League Using PG258Q

Post by DevinGil » 16 Jan 2018, 08:39

opern wrote:At this point I am just a hopeless fanboy for my PG258Q. So I noticed they are using it for the overwatch league. Clearly they picked the best 240hz monitor.
I didn't notice this! Are they using it on all the computers or is it player specific? I mean to check out the Overwatch League kick off but I was too bussy. I like how professional the production seems to be judging by a clip I've seen.
Last edited by DevinGil on 01 Nov 2021, 19:53, edited 3 times in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Jan 2018, 17:44

Thanks for letting us know about this.

Very interesting to see them adopting 240Hz at this scale.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

open

Post by open » 16 Jan 2018, 22:48

For the preseason I remember them using something else. I wish I could pick their brains as to why they picked these. Off the top of my head I would say It is due to the pg258q being one of the brightest options. And also because of the limited 27" 240hz options. And also as a normalizing factor as most of the players have probably been using 24" monitors. And also the good pixel response times.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 17 Jan 2018, 04:29

Because Asus gave them monitors probably.

It would of made more sense to get Acers since they are cheaper but they probably got a deal.

mello

Post by mello » 17 Jan 2018, 06:47

lexlazootin wrote:Because Asus gave them monitors probably.
This exactly. Event sponsors always provide everything, same goes for players and their teams. Sometimes players are forced to use certain gaming gear, not because it is the best, but because they have obligations to their sponsors.

dadduu

Post by dadduu » 17 Jan 2018, 08:46

mello wrote:
This exactly. Event sponsors always provide everything, same goes for players and their teams. Sometimes players are forced to use certain gaming gear, not because it is the best, but because they have obligations to their sponsors.
Apart from that i truly think players themself pushed the org to have 240HZs in this event to play the game at the best. We talking about Overwatch, and such a monitor makes a lot of difference compared to 144hz, which could be already obsolete for those kind of players that percfecly know/see/feel the differences.

mello

Post by mello » 17 Jan 2018, 11:08

dadduu wrote: Apart from that i truly think players themself pushed the org to have 240HZs in this event to play the game at the best. We talking about Overwatch, and such a monitor makes a lot of difference compared to 144hz, which could be already obsolete for those kind of players that percfecly know/see/feel the differences.
Except that they actually dont... let me explain. Playing at a pro level means your skills (reflex, aiming, timing and decision making) are elite, it doesn't automatically mean that you see, feel or know the difference as far as gaming gear and monitors are concerned. And when the playing field is equal, then it doesn't really matter if they play at 240Hz or at 144Hz, as long as everyone is using exactly the same refresh rate. They are using 240Hz because currently these are the best monitors for eSports and Gaming and are advertised as such. For Overwatch, 240Hz will benefit mostly fast and mobile heroes like Genji or Tracer and maybe few others, and of course everyone will enjoy a slight input lag reduction and increased smoothness in comparison to 144Hz refresh rate.

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 17 Jan 2018, 13:23

It would of made more sense to get Acers since they are cheaper but they probably got a deal.
Maybe Asus gave them to them, but they could have easily bought them. They spared no expense. They have aeron chairs and every piece of equipment is extremely high end.
They probably spent a million dollars on just the stage. The entire thing is custom made completely covered in screens and looks amazing in action.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jan 2018, 16:08

dadduu wrote:Apart from that i truly think players themself pushed the org to have 240HZs in this event to play the game at the best. We talking about Overwatch, and such a monitor makes a lot of difference compared to 144hz, which could be already obsolete for those kind of players that percfecly know/see/feel the differences.
This!

240Hz monitors generally have the best eSports performance now, any other complaints nonwithstanding.

While the MIN lag does not go appreciably lower, the tighter MIN/MAX/AVG ranges means aiming is more powerfully accurate. Depending on the game, lag fluctuations are sometimes more evil than absolute lowest "MIN" lag. The real-world lag-randomization range is one refresh cycle for VSYNC OFF, even for frame rates far in excess of refresh rates.

No matter what settings (VSYNC OFF versus GSYNC, etc), the lag fluctuation range (MIN/AVG/MAX) is reliably tighter at 240Hz.

Compare 1000fps VSYNC OFF apples-vs-apples.

But -- look closer -- even VSYNC OFF 1000fps at 60Hz has more lag randomness (MIN/MAX = 14/27 = 13ms lag randomness) than VSYNC OFF 238fps at 240Hz (MIN/MAX = 12/18 = 6ms lag randomness). One cannot deny the low-scanout-lag advantage of a higher refresh rate, at virtually any frame rate.

Real world game. Not synthetic lag tests.

This makes a big difference in aimfeel by well-honed players during eSports. There may be imperfections in certain 240Hz monitors but the competitive advantage outweighs all.

More frame rate reduces lag.
More refresh rate reduces lag.
Having more of both is best of both worlds for eSports.
Bring on the 1000Hz gaming displays ASAP (prediction: 2025)
--> Share this link to monitor manufacturers please. I have done so to a few I booked appointments with at CES 2018 <--

;)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!