Are Cougar Mice Legit 2000hz Polling Rate?

All Unidentified Forum Objects go in this area! Any fun alien talk goes in this U.F.O. Abduction Lounge, even topics other than monitors or computers. Introduce yourself!

lexlazootin

Re: Are Cougar Mice Legit 2000hz Polling Rate?

Post by lexlazootin » 20 Jan 2018, 20:34

If i recall USB3 supports upto something like 16,000 hz so it's not completely unreasonable, I've personally overclocked my WMO1.1a to 8khz on a USB3 port. Cougar isn't rubbish either, they have made plenty of good mice.
Minos X5 brings you the fastest polling rate available on the market. Real 2000 Hz, not overclocked as in many competitors. Every half a millisecond, your computer will receive updated information, getting as close as real-time tracking as you can get in a gaming mouse.
And they seem pedantic about pushing the point that it DOES 2000hz. The only way to check is to buy it and test it with a refresh checker app but i would believe them. ;)

darzo

Post by darzo » 20 Jan 2018, 20:39

I recall Asus having a 2k polling rate mouse for a while but the story on that is that it's crap. Not sure how to research this. Been cancelling and returning a lot of mice recently. The Roccat Kone Pure Owl Eye I'm currently using might be good but the primary buttons are a little hard to press.
Minos X5 brings you the fastest polling rate available on the market. Real 2000 Hz, not overclocked as in many competitors.
https://cougargaming.com/us/products/mi ... ngRate.php

Ooo, a whole page.

https://cougargaming.com/us/products/mice/revenger_s/
https://cougargaming.com/us/products/mice/minos_x5/

Guess I'll pick up one of these. Not excited about the symmetrical design of the minos like the logitech pro, which I'm looking for an improvement of, but it'll have to do. By the way, is the 250 ips a problem?

darzo

Post by darzo » 20 Jan 2018, 20:59

Hmmm, I'll pick up both and give them a try. Let's see.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1631447/coug ... h-3330/170

I like that they are aggressive on this.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 21 Jan 2018, 01:47

I wouldn't buy a mouse just for the 2khz feature, mouse weight, button feel, shape and of course sensor have more of a impact then just 2khz.

Logitech do pretty good mice, what didn't you like about the G-Pro? if you want more of a asymmetrical shape have you tried the G403?

darzo

Post by darzo » 21 Jan 2018, 03:10

I've tried the Pro, g403 and 703, g900/3, g502, Steelseries Rival 310, Roccat Kone Pure Owl Eye, and the Razer Deathadder Elite. The Pro has been the mouse I use but sometimes I notice my cursor moving around a little as I'm trying to handle the mouse. Turns out an ergonomic right-hand shape is better than the ambidextrous shape, which is why I'm inclined to keep the Roccat mouse I mentioned to supplant the Pro (it's otherwise similar to the Pro and the floor for the sensor is 3360 when I'm considering mice in general). Initially I had some problems with it but I think changing the liftoff distance from low to high might correct whatever was wrong (I presume Logitech has the default higher and they don't let you adjust it). I noticed today that the primary buttons also offer too much resistance for my liking and being unable to play Overwatch due to technical issues I started looking around at still more mice, with Rocket Jump Ninja's Top 40 as a starting point.

I recall the Chief mentioning in another thread that a 2000hz polling rate would be significant with a 240hz monitor and am not at all averse to grab any advantage in general that I can so the polling rate quickly caught my eye, and Cougar are assertive that it's not a gimmick in their mice, which were very recently released. The sensor is the 3360 and the shape and weight of the Minos is very similar to that of the Pro and the Roccat Kone Pure Owl Eye, so there's the first contender. Unfortunately it is a symmetrical mouse so we'll see. It has a quirky shape though and at least a thumb indentation so maybe it handles well. The Revenger S is more similar to the Rival 310, which I'm returning due to its shape, and the Razer Deathadder Elite that is not ideal for me but it's supposed to be somewhat smaller and I might as well try it too.

By the way, does Amazon ever convey that they disapprove of trying and returning products like this? Not all the mice have been from there but if I end up returning those two it'll be getting a little much.

PS

The g403/g703 was awful for me. Hate the bump at the top. The g502 was surprisingly fine in shape despite being a larger mouse but it weighs so much.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 21 Jan 2018, 04:11

I'm not sure about Amazon but I've heard that you have a 'rep' and returning a item because you don't like it might hurt it a bit.

darzo

Post by darzo » 21 Jan 2018, 04:23

How does that rep affect anything as a buyer?

...Ordered three more mice from elsewhere- DREAM MACHINES DM1 PRO S MATTE GAMING MOUSE, NINOX VENATOR GAMING MOUSE - BLACK, and NIXEUS REVEL GAMING MOUSE BLACK. Goddamn if I won't know what is what. Think I've about covered the bases.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 21 Jan 2018, 04:33

Well I've heard stories of people wanting a replacement because they ordered the wrong thing (it was a 7700k in the last story i heard) and amazon told them to keep it and they sent them the right thing for free (which was a 8700k). This apparently happens often if you spend a lot of money and don't have any issues.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Jan 2018, 04:37

lexlazootin wrote:I wouldn't buy a mouse just for the 2khz feature
I want true 2 KHz mice.

As long as tracking is as good as current 1000 Hz mice.

It will help ULMB (strobed modes). Microstutters are amplified in strobed modes (since there is no motion blur to mask microstutters) and I can see microstuttering at the 1000Hz poll rate due to the beat-frequency factor (as a ~40Hz beat frequency from 120Hz beat-frequencying against 1000Hz) --

It is subtle but noticeable especially with ULMB Pulse Width = 50% combined with very fast window-dragging -- text during ULMB (on GSYNC monitors) blurs slightly more from the 40-microstutters-per-second beat frequency vibration of mouse-driven moving text -- moreso than using keyboard arrow keys for scrolling (e.g. Chrome/FireFox perfect 120fps scrolling of webpage). The higher the poll Hz and the finer the mouse position reports, the less likely there is visible beat frequency effects (ultra-tiny mouse microstutters, even if they're just 1-pixel or 2-pixel amplitude vibrations).

Going to true 2000Hz or 4000Hz accurate tracking + accurate report rate would pretty much put these ULMB mouse microstutters below human noisefloor at least for medium-DPI gaming monitors (e.g. 1440p ULMB display).

(From Blur Busters Mouse Guide).

Mouse manufacturers, you've been reminded. But it has to be true 2,000 position updates per second, spaced exactly 0.5ms apart.

In addition, not just for ULMB (extreme torture test for microstutters) -- it also helps 240Hz and VRR too.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!