Are Cougar Mice Legit 2000hz Polling Rate?

All Unidentified Forum Objects go in this area! Any fun alien talk goes in this U.F.O. Abduction Lounge, even topics other than monitors or computers. Introduce yourself!
mello

Re: Are Cougar Mice Legit 2000hz Polling Rate?

Post by mello » 07 Feb 2018, 06:13

Just saw this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66 ... escription
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DXsc1IaI9A

But it is strange that there is no mention whatsoever about polling rate, and even their software doesn't have this information (or even ability to change it!). From advertisement standpoint they should have included this information, so it looks a little amateurish to me :/

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Feb 2018, 14:28

mello wrote:Just saw this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66 ... escription
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DXsc1IaI9A

But it is strange that there is no mention whatsoever about polling rate, and even their software doesn't have this information (or even ability to change it!). From advertisement standpoint they should have included this information, so it looks a little amateurish to me :/
Certainly not having this info is certainly problematic for eSports.....

....but I do love the idea of building a thumb joystick on the side of a computer mouse. It's fantastic for RTS, Minecraft, weapon grid selection, gas, throttle, walkspeed/flightspeed changes, and other applications -- and of course, flight simulators, space simulators. Like the hat joystick on top of a large Thrustmaster joystick, but a hat joystick for your thumb on the side of a computer mouse. And the whole mouse acts as an analog joystick too, so a hybrid between a mouse and a Thrustmaster joystick in a kind of way.

Two embedded joysticks (mouse tilting as analog joystick + digital thumbstick on side) is fantastic for all kinds of flying simulators. Flight simulators. Space simulators. Could be a fantastic casual-gaming mouse regardless of its Hertz when it comes to the basics for just playing Minecraft or RTS or a flight simulator etc.

Obviously we need more information about mouse Hz, since that is absolutely essential for competitive and eSports usage, as well as lag-sensitive people. Who knows, this specific run may not be good for eSports (until verified as such) but should be great for a lot of genres!

I hope this spreads to multiple mice over the coming years!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 09 Feb 2018, 17:53

That mouse does seem pretty cool. The problem is the tilting hinders normal mouse movement. I would never use it for competitive gaming because of that.

darzo

Post by darzo » 10 Feb 2018, 00:57

Finalmouse, who/him/whatever has a spotty reputation but I'm still willing to give a product a try, just came out with a mouse that weighs under 70 grams, which makes it by far the lightest with a 3360 sensor and its dimensions are if anything too big. This was accomplished by cutting out wholes from the shell. One of the potential problems is a 500 polling rate. Is that acceptable? How will it be different from 1000?

Niko

Post by Niko » 19 Dec 2018, 20:55

I have Minos X5. Its legit 2000hz. I tried to OC it more but no luck.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Dec 2018, 02:16

Niko wrote:I have Minos X5. Its legit 2000hz. I tried to OC it more but no luck.
Fantastic, I need to buy one of those for my tests.

Not just for eSports, but for enjoying microstutterless ULMB

2000 Hz should be helpful for VSYNC ON ULMB at Pulse Width 50%.

When blurless+stutterless+tearingless is numero uno over latency -- like enjoying the world's smoothest RTS drag-scrolling during ULMB -- with ULMB Pulse Width 50% (roughly ~0.5ms MPRT) -- the benefits of 2000Hz mouse poll rate becomes noticeable if you use
(A) NVIDIA ULMB
(B) ULMB Pulse Width ~50% for 0.5ms MPRT
(C) VSYNC ON, or the use of RTSS Scanline Sync (if you can guarantee your 0.1% frametime never exceeds a refresh cycle)
(D) Full framerate perfectly matching refresh rate (powerful GPU or older game)
(E) Clean mousepad with extremely smooth surface
(F) Clean mousefeet
(G) Control Panel at exact middle "Pointer Speed" settings
(H) DPI very high in vendor mouse UI, as high as it can accurately do (before it becomes inaccurate/interpolated)
(I) Sensitivity set very low in-game to compensate for very high DPI

...Then THIS is when 2000Hz actually makes a more noticeable difference.

For the silky blurless+stutterless+tearingless experience, mouse pollrate limitations begin to manifest itself as mousedrags/mouseturns not being as smooth as keyboard strafe/scrolls.

If you absolutely adore keyboard-fluidity of a computer mouse, during CRT-clarity zero-blur, 2000Hz poll actually is useful. ULMB amplifies visibility of microstutters so much, that the microstutter difference of 1000Hz vs 2000Hz pollrate can become human visible during blur-reduced situations (e.g. ULMB or ultra-high-Hz such as 480Hz+) and becoming even more visible during 0.5ms MPRT situations.

Most eSports players use VSYNC OFF, which adds microstuttering in exchange for the elimination of lag. Thank to the new low-lag VSYNC techniques (RTSS Scanline Sync), the use of framerate-synchronization is now becoming usable again in competitive gameplay, especially on high-Hz monitors. Framerate-synchronization (fps = Hz) amplifies pollrate limitations so 2000Hz becomes visible.

Even for VSYNC OFF, the use of 2000Hz can still help but does require a massive overkill of framerate to become visible -- e.g. Quake Live or simple CS:GO matches. 2000Hz can disappear below the noisefloor at 120Hz or 144Hz AFAIK, and just barely comes above the noisefloor during 240Hz. Now, as refresh rates start to hit 480Hz, 480fps, and 0.5ms GtG, the use of 2000Hz will likely be visible even for sample-and-hold. However, it will be several years before this really happens.

2000Hz benefits are certainly subtle, but definitely not zero-perceivable benefit.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

larryalehman13

Post by larryalehman13 » 28 Apr 2020, 01:22

Cougar bundles the Minos X5 inside a top notch box that has high goals print and pictures on the outside. The crate includes a velcro-made sure about fold that flips up to uncover the mouse, which is an extremely astute approach to bundle the Minos X5. By utilizing this fold style box, clients can see the genuine size and state of the Minos X5, instead of depending on a container realistic, which won't show the best possible size of the mouse.

Cougar incorporates a manual, guarantee manage and a lot of Cougar stickers with the Minos X5. The manual is spread out well and is useful, however physical establishment of the Minos X5 is about as direct as fringe establishments get. Other mouse producers who are excluding additional mouse feet with their mice like Cougar simply aren't doing things right. I constantly prefer to see additional mouse feet included with superior gaming mice, as clients who utilize their mice on hard surface mouse cushions may find that their mouse feet destroy before long.