Stutter

All Unidentified Forum Objects go in this area! Any fun alien talk goes in this U.F.O. Abduction Lounge, even topics other than monitors or computers. Introduce yourself!
clyq

Stutter

Post by clyq » 13 Feb 2018, 11:55

When your FPS falls below your monitors Refresh Rate, there's usually this intense stutter / ghosting / trailing. I had a 120hz monitor and whenever my fps fell below 120 it was quite noticeable. Now, however, I have a 240hz monitor. I turned off multicore processing in the game (CSGO), so my fps is around 120-180, which is well below 240hz, but I do not experience the same stutter unless my fps hits below the 100~ish mark. I'm certain that the monitor is running in 240hz in windows.

Any thoughts?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Stutter

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Feb 2018, 13:05

clyq wrote:When your FPS falls below your monitors Refresh Rate, there's usually this intense stutter / ghosting / trailing. I had a 120hz monitor and whenever my fps fell below 120 it was quite noticeable. Now, however, I have a 240hz monitor. I turned off multicore processing in the game (CSGO), so my fps is around 120-180, which is well below 240hz, but I do not experience the same stutter unless my fps hits below the 100~ish mark. I'm certain that the monitor is running in 240hz in windows.

Any thoughts?
Easy/Short answer:
The higher the rates are (frame rate, poll rate, refresh rate), the progressively less visible stutters are.

Long/Complex answer:
There are many, many microstutter factors:

Harmonic microstuttering effects:
-- Mouse Pollrate-vs-Game Framerate microstutter
-- Mouse Pollrate-vs-Display Refreshrate microstutter
-- Display Refreshrate-vs-Display Framerate microstutter
-- Etc.

Display factors:
-- Overdrive, pixel response
-- GtG pixel transition speed relative to refresh cycle duration
-- Microstutters (when they become small enough) can be hidden by motion blur / GtG limitations.
-- Ultra-high-frequency "microstutters" blend into motion blur. It only looks stuttery/vibrating if at low frequencies

They can interact with each other at beat-frequency, second-order harmonics, third-order harmonics, etc. (e.g. imperfect ~80fps and ~120fps at 240Hz have noticeable third-order and second-order harmonic frequency microstutter .... 240/80 = 3 and 240/120 = 2 .... and stutters/microstutters often resemble beat-frequencies .... and they can multi-layer on.)

There's no easy way to predict how a stutter looks, for a given monitor, refreshrate, mouse, framerate -- but the faster the monitor is + the higher the rates (framerate/refreshrate/pollrate) of all devices, the less visible microstutter generally becomes.

High refresh rate, high mouse poll rate, high frame rate, tend to be your best friends in reducing microstutter even further.

You should check if your mouse is at 125 Hz, 500 Hz or 1000 Hz.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!