desk ergonomics, proper sitting posture etc.

All Unidentified Forum Objects go in this area! Any fun alien talk goes in this U.F.O. Abduction Lounge, even topics other than monitors or computers. Introduce yourself!
mello

desk ergonomics, proper sitting posture etc.

Post by mello » 26 May 2019, 17:29

Well, after 20+ years i decided that i should put more focus and optimize the way i sit in front of the computer. Never have put too much thought into that, and after all these years i have developed some issues, so now i think it is time to correct them and pay much more attention to these things. I hope that it will benefit my health, posture and even gaming performance. Some issues that i have noticed over the years (using different chairs, desks, monitor sizes etc).:

- bad sitting posture, this photo describes perfectly what i have been doing wrong (all 3 positions):

All of that resulted in:

- lower back pain
- slight head forward posture (at least i think so, or i have screen just too far away from my eyes)
- trouble noticing enemies in fps games (like PUBG, Apex Legends) from far distances (either worse eye sight or eyes too far from monitor)
- limited range of motion in right wrist/hand when doing extension motion and elbow pain in right arm, both possibly from having an elbow below desk, instead of in parallel position to the desk. Examples:

Image Image

So now i am searching for an information about proper sitting posture in relation to my desk (height adjustable) and monitor position in relation to my eyes, including the perfect viewing distance. When googling "proper sitting posture at computer" or "desk ergonomics", there are a lot of articles and photos, so i think i know what i need to change. But what about:

- monitor position in relation to my eyes. Basically, should i see a center of the monitor when looking straight or top of the monitor screen ?
- what about tilting of the screen ? Some articles/photos recommendations online include tilting of screen. (?)
- viewing distance in the relation of the screen size, my current one is 27"

Does anyone knows any real good articles that address these issues, as far as both gaming and work related stuff is concerend ?
Or do you have any personal experiences and can do some recommendation that have worked for you ? Thanks !

open

Re: desk ergonomics, proper sitting posture etc.

Post by open » 27 May 2019, 12:22

I sat with no back support at all for a couple years and really liked it. Sat cross legged. It took a good deal of conditioning before I could do it all day. Yoga helped especially the spine inversion poses. Realigns your back and temporarily takes some pressure off.

As for monitor position I think many here have tn panels in which case gamma varries depending on the tilt of the monitor in relation to your eyes. You may find having your eyes slightly above center keeps the contrast in the dark areas better.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 May 2019, 17:37

Indeed -- sometimes the best seat is no backrest.

Helping to fix a bad habit is an exercise ball -- it forces you to sit upright, training bad habits out of you.

Then once you kill a bad habit, but really want a backrest after a long day at grueling work -- maybe you really want a backrest after a long day working at a factory or landscaping. So getting a good chair is important -- a good well-reviewed ergonomic esports chair. Those racing chair looking beasts (Many on Amazon)

They've boomed onto the market with the millions of Fortnite and CS:GO players, so you can often find them on sales for far, far less than an $500-$800 Aeron-like chair that some are so tempted to buy. It's recently forced some great "ergonomic:cost" bang for buck deals recently, so don't dismiss those chairs if you think they're silly! Many rave about how ergonomic some models are.

That said, beware of the knockoff clones that aren't exactly ergonomic (cloners that aren't really paying attention to a good manufacturer's proper ergonomic features)...

It's useful to at least temporarily with an exercise ball (or some other backless chair) if you've got some bad slouch habits that you need to fix.

Now, there are many options depending on personal preferences. But some chairs just amplify your bad habits, while others are helpful.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 28 May 2019, 08:30

https://www.ofiprix.com/sillas-de-ofici ... nto_de_red

This is my boss's chair, the first one of the images.
Seat and back are made of mesh, wich is the future of ergonomic chairs.
This is the best for body tension and summer.
I tried it, the feeling is like floating.
It's the best investment you will get if you can afford it.
Personally, I would not buy those racing chairs over this one.

open

Post by open » 28 May 2019, 12:26

I know the dx racer chairs can have their backs perfectly vertical and they are flat when you dont use the pillows. Alot of people really like using them like that.

nick4567

Post by nick4567 » 28 May 2019, 16:41

mello i would like to discuss some stuff about the issues im having related to internet if u have the time to chat

LancerMiG

Post by LancerMiG » 29 May 2019, 15:01

And what sort of warm weather-friendly chair could you recommend, if such a thing exists? The issue is that I'm not that sensible to warm temperature in the atmosphere, but I can't stand the contact of something hot, or that holds the warmth, on my skin. And since I was looking at buying some of this property in Greece for my personal use some day, I'd like to have a chair that'll allow me to work (and play, of course) without turning into a scalding hot frying pan like leather seats, or without keeping me warm like a fleece blanket, which is something that many seats made out of synthetic fabric tend to do.

mello

Post by mello » 30 May 2019, 08:18

nick4567 wrote:mello i would like to discuss some stuff about the issues im having related to internet if u have the time to chat
Sure, you can PM me. You can also start a new thread about your problem, maybe other forum members will be able to help too.

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 31 May 2019, 10:17

mello wrote: So now i am searching for an information about proper sitting posture in relation to my desk (height adjustable) and monitor position in relation to my eyes, including the perfect viewing distance. When googling "proper sitting posture at computer" or "desk ergonomics", there are a lot of articles and photos, so i think i know what i need to change. But what about:

- monitor position in relation to my eyes. Basically, should i see a center of the monitor when looking straight or top of the monitor screen ?
- what about tilting of the screen ? Some articles/photos recommendations online include tilting of screen. (?)
- viewing distance in the relation of the screen size, my current one is 27"

Does anyone knows any real good articles that address these issues, as far as both gaming and work related stuff is concerend ?
Or do you have any personal experiences and can do some recommendation that have worked for you ? Thanks !
You want your eye level to be near the top of your monitor. You don't want to have to look up at all because it causes neck and eye strain. Looking down isn't very hard on your neck.

You don't need to tilt the monitor at that position. You want the screen to be perpendicular with your line of site. You could have it tilted just slightly up.

For distance an arms length away is pretty good. Stick your arm straight out and you should barely be able to touch the screen.

It should be close enough that text is easy to read, but far enough that you don't have to turn your head to read content on the sides.
If you have a high PPI monitor or bad vision that may mean turning up scaling.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Jun 2019, 14:22

sharknice wrote:It should be close enough that text is easy to read, but far enough that you don't have to turn your head to read content on the sides. If you have a high PPI monitor or bad vision that may mean turning up scaling.
Oh, and eye vision also plays a role.
I have a slight farsightedness tendency, so I prefer slightly beyond arm's length for maximal vision comfort.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!