Is it possible to make subliminals through refresh rate?

All Unidentified Forum Objects go in this area! Any fun alien talk goes in this U.F.O. Abduction Lounge, even topics other than monitors or computers. Introduce yourself!
1000WATT

Re: Is it possible to make subliminals through refresh rate?

Post by 1000WATT » 02 Jun 2019, 04:30

sepiashimmer wrote: WHO was in bed with whorish feminist
RealNC wrote:Not sure if trolling...
:lol:
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 02 Jun 2019, 05:52

I am pretty sure many parents want to send subliminal messages to their gamer boys like "Stop gaming,it is sunny go outside instead of playing,find a job and etc" :D :D

sepiashimmer

Post by sepiashimmer » 02 Jun 2019, 11:40

karavanasam wrote:I am pretty sure many parents want to send subliminal messages to their gamer boys like "Stop gaming,it is sunny go outside instead of playing,find a job and etc" :D :D
I was referring to diabolical ones.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 02 Jun 2019, 11:43

sepiashimmer wrote:I was referring to diabolical ones.
As a Satanist, I find this statement offensive.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

open

Post by open » 02 Jun 2019, 11:58

At least using normal refreshes and technology that I know about, I doubt you
could make the changes happen fast enough to be subconscious 100% of the time. Even on 240hz I can see tearlines and fine details clearly some of the time. Now that's not to say that you couldnt have extra hardware doing something like this. But if there is a conspiracy to do so then it is very unlikely that anyone here would be able to help with anything like that. I'm just being honest that it seems to be either in the realm of paranoia or an unsolveable problem. But yeah at least from my experience even very small, or short (sub pixel, sub frame, ect) details can be noticed. And such is a testament to the existence of this websight. Many are interested in the advancment of technology in these areas.

sepiashimmer

Post by sepiashimmer » 02 Jun 2019, 12:15

RealNC wrote:
sepiashimmer wrote:I was referring to diabolical ones.
As a Satanist, I find this statement offensive.
By diabolical I meant very evil but intelligent.

sepiashimmer

Post by sepiashimmer » 02 Jun 2019, 12:17

open wrote:At least using normal refreshes and technology that I know about, I doubt you
could make the changes happen fast enough to be subconscious 100% of the time. Even on 240hz I can see tearlines and fine details clearly some of the time. Now that's not to say that you couldnt have extra hardware doing something like this. But if there is a conspiracy to do so then it is very unlikely that anyone here would be able to help with anything like that. I'm just being honest that it seems to be either in the realm of paranoia or an unsolveable problem. But yeah at least from my experience even very small, or short (sub pixel, sub frame, ect) details can be noticed. And such is a testament to the existence of this websight. Many are interested in the advancment of technology in these areas.
Thanks, your post is very informative and helpful.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Jun 2019, 13:11

Refresh rate doesn't enable/prevent subliminal ads. It can be done at any refresh rate, though higher Hz means things can be shown briefer but more likely to be missed. Refresh rate is simply a function of how many images per second it is capable of.

If you're playing video, it will look pretty much the same at any refresh rate (nonwithstanding stutters). On most displays, 24fps means a frame is shown for 1/24sec (or nearest, given refresh rate limitations, 60Hz giving you an opportunity to show a frame for 1/20sec or 1/30sec, but not exactly 1/24sec).

Now, if you're playing game, it has more control over the granularity of the frames -- a 240Hz monitor gives you the option of showing something as brief as 1/240sec (1 refresh cycle), 1/120sec (2 refresh cycles), 1/80sec (3 refresh cycles), 1/60sec (4 refresh cycles) and a variable refresh rate monitor can show you any arbitrary duration that's within its refresh rate rate -- e.g. 1/235.291sec or 1/123.58sec instead of 1/240sec.

However, that doesn't influence whether or not a subliminal ad is more likely to happen or not, or necessarily more/less effective.

Now, this topic is a bit out of left field in the Blur Busters Sphere.... so:

Moved to the Offtopic Lounge for continued discussion.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 02 Jun 2019, 13:42

There is one bad side of high refresh rate monitors.High refresh rate monitors bring fluid images and suddenly you start hating your ordinary TV or any cinema screen.I think I watched one tv show about subliminal messaging conspiracy.Cant remember which one though. :)