Can VGA send video from monitor camera to video card?

All Unidentified Forum Objects go in this area! Any fun alien talk goes in this U.F.O. Abduction Lounge, even topics other than monitors or computers. Introduce yourself!
sepiashimmer

Can VGA send video from monitor camera to video card?

Post by sepiashimmer » 14 Jun 2019, 14:09

Hi,

After seeing few videos of prototype phones containing under screen camera, I wondered if the curved monitor I have can have such hidden cameras underneath it's screen.

But when I opened it up, I could only remove the back cover, I couldn't remove the PCB and silver colored metal board which I think has LEDs.

So this brings me to the question in the title, can the VGA connection on monitor be used to send data to the video card/computer connected to it?

Or does the signal always travel one way from computer to the monitor and never in the other direction?

Thanks

sepiashimmer

Re: Can VGA send video from monitor camera to video card?

Post by sepiashimmer » 15 Jun 2019, 09:57

Can anyone help me remove the silver colored metal? By giving me tips, guides, tutorials and links to YouTube videos?

Thanks

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 15 Jun 2019, 20:20

I'm sure VGA (D-sub) can be used only for transmitting analog signal from videocard to monitor. Highly-likely same applies to DVI/HDMI because it's 1st mass-market digital interface. And I guess same with DisplayPort. I'm sure only secret service can add camera under screen and no any vendor will do it secretly for consumer products because it's huge reputation risk and just silly. "silver colored metal board" sounds like just a back of lcd panel. Like these:
http://evershine.panelook.com/images/20 ... 850862.jpg
http://www.panelook.com/images/201702/1 ... 358383.JPG
http://www.panelook.com/images/201806/1 ... 197391.jpg
But if you already disassembled monitor I guess you have some paranoia and my answer means nothing for you :]

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 15 Jun 2019, 22:14

put on a mask)
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 15 Jun 2019, 22:18

very strange, you ask such questions on a site with an alien logo. by default, with one eye out of three, he is watching you.
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

open

Post by open » 16 Jun 2019, 02:04

I think the only way to defeat the cameras is with a tinfoil hat. They are built into every pixel. Every time you defeat one two more are 3d printed using alien tech stolen by the govenment. The tinfoil hat creates an electromagnetically resonant chamber that defeats the technology by creating a feedback loop between your head and the power supply.

sepiashimmer

Post by sepiashimmer » 16 Jun 2019, 07:53

Q83Ia7ta wrote:I'm sure VGA (D-sub) can be used only for transmitting analog signal from videocard to monitor. Highly-likely same applies to DVI/HDMI because it's 1st mass-market digital interface. And I guess same with DisplayPort. I'm sure only secret service can add camera under screen and no any vendor will do it secretly for consumer products because it's huge reputation risk and just silly. "silver colored metal board" sounds like just a back of lcd panel. Like these:
http://evershine.panelook.com/images/20 ... 850862.jpg
http://www.panelook.com/images/201702/1 ... 358383.JPG
http://www.panelook.com/images/201806/1 ... 197391.jpg
But if you already disassembled monitor I guess you have some paranoia and my answer means nothing for you :]
Thank you for your helpful reply.

Yes the silver colored metal board looked similar to the ones you posted.

When I used an EMF meter app on my Android phone and moved it over the front of the monitor where the screen is, at certain points it showed low emf activity in red, but at other points even at the same spot on the back it didn't show any emf activity in red. What can this mean?

I connected speakers to the 3.5mm output of the monitor, turned the volume up on speakers, and had someone call me on my cell phone, as it was ringing I moved the ringing cell phone over the monitor, at various spots the connected speakers emitted noise, as if cell signal was interfering with it. Can this point to a hidden camera or some other surveillance device?

Is there a way I can remove the silver colored metal board? Is there any risk I might damage the monitor?

Thanks

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Jun 2019, 13:29

Moved to offtopic as this is not Blur Busters topic content. This is not a Blur Busters topic.

Special screens are required for them to function with cameras behind the screen. Current monitors are not currently shipping with special screens that are sufficiently camera-transparent, and those screens don't yet come in sizes big enough for use in a monitor, as far as I know.

Panels are often manufactured independently of the monitor manufacturer, with that circuit board pre-attached to the panel (TCON/scaler) and utlizing various light-distributing films behind the panel, that distributes light from an edgelight throughout the whole panel to evenly illuminate the LCD. The nature of this assembly precludes the ability to put an unnoticeable camera in the panel.

Even for most expensive GSYNC monitors, the panels made for desktop monitors are often also slightly older LCD technologies to keep monitor costs down, given monitors sell at much smaller quantities than popular smartphone models (more phones being purchased than monitors).

Even with those specially designed assemblies (smartphones with behind-screen cameras), it is possible to see evidence of a camera in a smartphone with a camera behind the panel without even opening up the phone -- they're not rendered perfectly unseeable). If you borrow one of those new phones, you'll see what I mean -- whether by displaying various grey fields (10% through 100%).

One can also easily just use a very bright light to amplify lens reflections through the screens (light is a 2-way street -- for a camera to see out, you can see in too. Just make sure screen is displaying full-white but with the backlight turned off. Some laptops and monitors let you do that, but one can also temporarily disconnect a backlight wire too (although that is harder in some screens that have strongly integrated backlights). That makes the screen as transparent as possible to external light sources. Shine a bright light (and avoid reflections of anything bright) to find any lens-reflection glint. That is what happen with those special sufficiently camera-transparent "phone screens". You see the camera lens through the screen without the unnecessary waste of time of taking apart a monitor. The light-as-2-way-street is quite obvious to people who work around screens.

Generically, if you are looking for help in the basics electronics soldering work, I suggest an electronics forum elsewhere on the Internet.

Just again, this is again, considered a topic not in Blur Busters speciality. What I'm saying is just generic Science/Physics 101 knowledge.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!