Suggestion for website guides

All Unidentified Forum Objects go in this area! Any fun alien talk goes in this U.F.O. Abduction Lounge, even topics other than monitors or computers. Introduce yourself!
Talrivian

Suggestion for website guides

Post by Talrivian » 16 Aug 2019, 09:04

As a new comer to the topic and science of vision and monitors and the myriad affects associated with it, I have a suggestion for some of the guides on the website explaining different effects.

Perhaps I missed some crucial explanation near the beginning, but when discussing MPRT, I feel as if a lot of the guides assume that the reader already knows what persistence-of-vision is and how it functions. When starting out, I personally didn't know the first thing about eyes and the retina and how any of that worked, so I didn't really understand a lot of concepts being explained until I went out and did some more research.

Also, I find it interesting that explanations of persistence-of-vision and motion blur that are very straight forward and simple are hard to find.

I actually feel kind of stupid, because I feel like this is some kind of common knowledge about eyes that I some how missed growing up and never learned, so everyone assumes it's just known, lol.

Maybe it would be a good idea to include a basic overview at the beginning of the guides that explains what the MPRT phenomenon is and why it exists in the first place? (i.e. the photoreceptive cells in our eye's retinas hold image data for X milliseconds and require time to reset or "refresh", therefore making moving objects streak when "dragged across" our retinas, rather than being held stationary in the center of our vision.)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Suggestion for website guides

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Aug 2019, 17:27

Good ideas,

Blur Busters has traditionally focussed on more advanced & technical content. As I get more widespread in the industry, I'm in more demand which pulls me somewhat away from the traditional hobby Blur Busters blog-writing.

Fairly recently, I have begun to offer classroom training services (Blur Busters Einstein classroom) for vendors/manufacturers that start with much simpler training than what I write for website -- it's a service I now offer to industry, and have travelled a few times this year (including across both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans this year!) -- where I show a fully animated presentation including custom TestUFO animations, some not yet public. To train a vendor on how vision works & how display artifacts work.

My classroom sizes have varied from 2 persons to 15 persons.

So in effect, I already do this service of teaching the simple concepts (vision, artifacts) as a hired teacher in person. More than one client said it was one of the best uses of their consulting money, and that I am a great teacher -- even though I have not yet begun to advertise my services widely.

However, it's also my wish to convert some of the training stuff into online materials, so that some of the basics can at least be relayed better. My classroom teaching services is not currently widely advertised, but it effectively does what you speak of (And far beyond).

Many employees at many display manufacturers are surprised at what they learn. Consider that not everyone knows everything -- the person making a rocket engine gimbal may know nothing about ICU firmwares. Or a factory car assembler focussing on door assembly may know nothing about piston assembly. Same thing happens in display industry -- I know lots of things that apparently more than 90% of display manufacturer employees do not know. So that's where my Blur Busters Einstein classroom training service come in to show off animations, TestUFO, high speed footage, and other stuff in a simple self-explanatory way beginning with the simplest concepts. Pretty much exactly what you speak of.

I mic-dropped a lot of arguments at display manufacturers who belated told me I am totally right, on all kinds of topics like tech limitations preventing high-Hz benefits, to things like interactions between cameras+displays, as well as other vision science aspects.

____

Blur Buster sometimes requires writers to help out in this territory of writing there kinds of articles. Since I have to keep myself busy inventing stuff & offering advanced services including training classes -- it sometimes means I have difficulty with time to write these big famous articles for public consumption. I try my best though! :)

I now rely on others to help write for the coverpage of Blur Busters. Blur Busters has recruited a writer Robb (gridl0ck) for the main website but we are recruiting a 2nd writer. If you know of one, inquire within -- [email protected]

_____
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Talrivian

Post by Talrivian » 16 Aug 2019, 19:44

Wow! That's incredible what you are doing with education in the industry! Maybe it will have a huge impact in years to come as this information is disseminated!

I hope I didn't make your blog posts sound inadequate! Your information has enraptured me and I'm sure others and opened up a whole new hobby for me.

Keep up the great work! Best site out there for monitor technology and knowledge!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Aug 2019, 13:08

Thank you!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!