What just happened to my GPU? :/

All Unidentified Forum Objects go in this area! Any fun alien talk goes in this U.F.O. Abduction Lounge, even topics other than monitors or computers. Introduce yourself!
TTT

What just happened to my GPU? :/

Post by TTT » 17 Sep 2019, 11:51

My PC and monitor were on just sat on Windows main screen, nothing running.

I went to plug my TV (which is on standby but hasn't been on for days) into my GPU via HDMi, one end was already in the TV. I've done this with leads countless times in the past, never fully d/c anything from the mains.

Before the HDMI even slightly plugged in to the gpu the plug obviously touched the port and most likely some of the metal back plate.. My GPU fan just locked at what was way over 100% speed and sounded like a jet engine, It disconnected from my monitor so I had no control of the PC.

I had to just hold off on the PC and it did instantly come back on with no problem.

I'm just concerned is this some kind of power or earthing problem?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: What just happened to my GPU? :/

Post by RealNC » 20 Sep 2019, 01:07

The GPU might not be seated well into the PCIe slot. The pressure of plugging in the cable could have made it lose contact temporarily. I've had this issue in the past with my previous PC. To make it stop, I had to remove the graphics card and re-insert it. Make sure it goes all the way in, wiggle it a bit as you insert it.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

TTT

Re: What just happened to my GPU? :/

Post by TTT » 20 Sep 2019, 08:40

RealNC wrote:The GPU might not be seated well into the PCIe slot. The pressure of plugging in the cable could have made it lose contact temporarily. I've had this issue in the past with my previous PC. To make it stop, I had to remove the graphics card and re-insert it. Make sure it goes all the way in, wiggle it a bit as you insert it.
Ah, its a prebuilt under warranty so I don't want to mess with it, plus I don't know what I'm doing! :(

I'll keep tabs on it and send it back if it acts up again.