Best windows for competitive gaming

All Unidentified Forum Objects go in this area! Any fun alien talk goes in this U.F.O. Abduction Lounge, even topics other than monitors or computers. Introduce yourself!
Calypto

Re: Best windows for competitive gaming

Post by Calypto » 31 May 2020, 23:20

Don't touch Windows 10 with a stick if you want decent input.

TTT

Post by TTT » 01 Jun 2020, 02:52

I'm guessing people who use Windows 7 now purely use it on a gaming rig?

Microsoft have no support for it anymore do they?

svperstar

Post by svperstar » 05 Jun 2020, 08:39

Windows 10 has a longstanding issue with DPC latency. That said its a bad idea to use an old discontinued operating system with no security updates.

Shroud and other top tier FPS gamers use Windows 10 and they destroy people. If you are having issues getting kills in competitive games it isn't because of the OS...

schizobeyondpills

Post by schizobeyondpills » 06 Jun 2020, 04:18

svperstar wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 08:39
Windows 10 has a longstanding issue with DPC latency. That said its a bad idea to use an old discontinued operating system with no security updates.

Shroud and other top tier FPS gamers use Windows 10 and they destroy people. If you are having issues getting kills in competitive games it isn't because of the OS...
>That said its a bad idea to use an old discontinued operating system with no security updates.
why? all those security updates/mitigations as well as any antivirus are all useless & bloat because the biggest exploitative factor in malware are humans and human nature, and also malware can be made fully undetected for $20 (FUD crypter) which bypasses any antivirus or security updates since user runs it either way...

>Shroud and other top tier FPS gamers use Windows 10 and they destroy people.
yeah, because their pay2win hardware gives them a lot of advantage over regular poor "people".
yeah, because those people are just kids who not only have worse hardware but also have 30 programs and other bloatware running.
yeah, because if everyone inside that "gaming" set has bloatware which cripples them the effects wont be as visible, and your argument will stand, its like saying legs dont matter in basketball because pro wheelchair basketball players are destroying other half-people basketball players.

if any top player was given a fully tweaked with all bloatware disabled OS/hardware their scores would improve (by a lot, I tested this personally)

>If you are having issues getting kills in competitive games it isn't because of the OS...
it is, since Windows is not a RTOS at all and nothing is optimized for latency, so the adjustments done for latency/realtime responsivness are massive and do give a huge competitive edge especially since not many people are aware of them. and i know you will already come back with "its microseconds,nanoseconds", yes, and your CPU works at billion cycles a second in nanoseconds, and RAM latency is in 30-100 nanoseconds, yet somehow all the major CPUs have 3 levels of cache, surely those nanoseconds matter if there's 3 levels of cache just to shave them off.

i highly suggest you take the free abortion.
[Moderation Note: Inappropriate forum etiquette that violates the forum rule agreed-to upon registration]

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 06 Jun 2020, 07:20

schizobeyondpills wrote:
06 Jun 2020, 04:18
You're fully entitled to your opinion, but please watch your conduct here, this comment was entirely unnecessary. Refer to our forum rules:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=183

Also, I'd point out that whether there is any merit to Windows 10 having higher DPC latency levels than Windows 7 (or any other gaming or performance-oriented "disadvantages"), that a vast majority of Windows users on Steam (and even outside of Steam) now use Windows 10:
https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey ... latform=pc

So, at the very least, most players are starting with an even playing field where the OS is directly concerned.

But of course, any Windows user is free to use whatever version of the Windows OS they prefer.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

theangryregulator

Post by theangryregulator » 06 Jun 2020, 07:42

:shock: imagine thinking pro gamers relied on hardware to be good.

TTT

Post by TTT » 06 Jun 2020, 13:16

schizobeyondpills wrote:
06 Jun 2020, 04:18
svperstar wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 08:39

>That said its a bad idea to use an old discontinued operating system with no security updates.
why? all those security updates/mitigations as well as any antivirus are all useless & bloat because the biggest exploitative factor in malware are humans and human nature, and also malware can be made fully undetected for $20 (FUD crypter) which bypasses any antivirus or security updates since user runs it either way...

>Shroud and other top tier FPS gamers use Windows 10 and they destroy people.
yeah, because their pay2win hardware gives them a lot of advantage over regular poor "people".
yeah, because those people are just kids who not only have worse hardware but also have 30 programs and other bloatware running.
yeah, because if everyone inside that "gaming" set has bloatware which cripples them the effects wont be as visible, and your argument will stand, its like saying legs dont matter in basketball because pro wheelchair basketball players are destroying other half-people basketball players.

if any top player was given a fully tweaked with all bloatware disabled OS/hardware their scores would improve (by a lot, I tested this personally)

>If you are having issues getting kills in competitive games it isn't because of the OS...
it is, since Windows is not a RTOS at all and nothing is optimized for latency, so the adjustments done for latency/realtime responsivness are massive and do give a huge competitive edge especially since not many people are aware of them. and i know you will already come back with "its microseconds,nanoseconds", yes, and your CPU works at billion cycles a second in nanoseconds, and RAM latency is in 30-100 nanoseconds, yet somehow all the major CPUs have 3 levels of cache, surely those nanoseconds matter if there's 3 levels of cache just to shave them off.

Guess this was a touchy subject. :lol:

Brainlet

Post by Brainlet » 07 Jun 2020, 02:21

theangryregulator wrote:
06 Jun 2020, 07:42
:shock: imagine thinking pro gamers relied on hardware to be good.
This is true. For example, look at the top bodybuilders like Ronnie Coleman, Kai Greene, Phil Heath or Jay Cutler. They got to the top 0.0001% through many many years of consistent natural bodybuilding. Meanwhile, a lot of amateur bodybuilders who aren't even natural didn't get anywhere close to these top athletes. It's all about dedication and genetics.
Starting point for beginners: PC Optimization Hub

theangryregulator

Post by theangryregulator » 07 Jun 2020, 05:50

Wait those guys are natural?...... I agree with the latter though. There's a lot of amateurs on the sauce but they're not in the same league. Dedication and genetics 100% though.

Brainlet

Post by Brainlet » 07 Jun 2020, 09:07

theangryregulator wrote:
07 Jun 2020, 05:50
Wait those guys are natural?...... I agree with the latter though. There's a lot of amateurs on the sauce but they're not in the same league. Dedication and genetics 100% though.
"Mr. Olympia is the title awarded to the winner of the professional men's bodybuilding contest at Joe Weider's Olympia Fitness & Performance Weekend—an international bodybuilding competition that is held annually by the International Federation of BodyBuilding & Fitness (IFBB)."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Olympia

"The IFBB has performed Doping Control since 1986."
http://ifbb.com/ifbb-faq/
Starting point for beginners: PC Optimization Hub