Dual monitor setup for coding (advice)

All Unidentified Forum Objects go in this area! Any fun alien talk goes in this U.F.O. Abduction Lounge, even topics other than monitors or computers. Introduce yourself!
jeje

Dual monitor setup for coding (advice)

Post by jeje » 30 Sep 2020, 16:41

Hi,

For some reason one of my eye nerves is a little bit lazy. The eyes get tired pretty fast especially due to ghosting/shadow from scrolling in IDE and browser (Chrome). I've update the dual monitor setup from 2 Dell u2719dc (60hz) to 2 Dell s2721dgf (165hz). It's somehow better but not enough. I'm thinking at returning them and get something else/better.

I would still go for 27", 1440p since I find they suit best for coding.

I also noticed that although both monitors are connected via display port and are set at 165hz, one if them is not working as expected. It's like one would be setup at 165hz and the other one at 90hz. This looks like a windows 10 issue since if I interchange cables, the other one has the issue. It only happens when setting them up as "extended" and not as "dual".

I think a monitor with no ghosting/shadow on scroll will really help more. It's like the update from a 60hz smartphone display to 90hz.

I would really appreciate your help and suggestions. Maybe the refresh rate is not really the cause but more the response time but, I'm no expert in this field.

Thanks

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Dual monitor setup for coding (advice)

Post by RealNC » 30 Sep 2020, 17:11

I think the Windows 10 2004 update has fixed something relating to running multiple high-Hz monitors. Have you upgraded to that yet?
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

jeje

Re: Dual monitor setup for coding (advice)

Post by jeje » 01 Oct 2020, 06:47

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
I also thought so but, it seems the issue is still persisting, at least for some configurations.
I'm using Windows 10 Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.508).
That's why I'm actually so confused in getting other monitors since I may face the same issue.
Thanks