Kickstarter screen - any good?

All Unidentified Forum Objects go in this area! Any fun alien talk goes in this U.F.O. Abduction Lounge, even topics other than monitors or computers. Introduce yourself!
Blurrrr

Kickstarter screen - any good?

Post by Blurrrr » 15 Feb 2021, 06:07

Hi,

Are thing like lumonitor or desklab, taihe any good? [I can’t add url so you have to google the kickstarter yourself]

My screen is a bit broken so I was just wandering... Or maybe I should wait because just like any other kickstarter tech campaign the road will look like:
kickstarter tech -> Chinese knockoffs -> big tech player ?

Blurrrr

Re: Kickstarter screen - any good?

Post by Blurrrr » 26 Feb 2021, 09:34

Anyone? :geek:

I couldn’t link so here are the monitors I found:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/de ... en-monitor
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/92 ... go-monitor
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lu ... le-monitor

I love the idea but is it too early to buy such thing?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Feb 2021, 18:55

Blurrrr wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 06:07
Are thing like lumonitor or desklab, taihe any good? [I can’t add url so you have to google the kickstarter yourself]
At 10 posts, you can post URLs. The URL block is only for forum newbies (because of spammers trying to register and posting advertisements), but you're no longer a forum newbie at your post count.

It is up to you if you buy Kickstarter, but remember it's a dice roll gamble with lots of kickstarter hardware. Only buy if you don't mind a 10%-50% chance of never getting a working product. Sometimes it's worth the gamble (I buy two different kickstarters and I get 1 great product, 1 soso product).

Remember to understand Kickstarter risks and accept/embrace Kickstarter risk without treating Kickstarter as a scam -- it's like peer-to-peer investing (except you don't have a stake in the company, just investing in a unit of factory output) helping a company raise capital to create a product. Some investments succeed and some investments fail.

I cannot advise you whether or not to do crowdfunding, except to be educated about risks and understand what Kickstarter/crowdfunding is for, and to accept the semi-lottery effect that crowdfunding sometimes is. If it is within your risk calculus, go for it. If you don't like to take risks, then wait.

It is a personal risk-threshold level.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 01 Mar 2021, 17:36

My rule for kickstarters is to make sure the funding goal is high enough to actually get the product manufactured.

For example, if you took $35k pledges to design and build a car with a funding goal of 1M, that's a hard no. If you increased the funding goal to $1B, that's a much higher confidence, because it means you have some idea what it costs to engineer a car and set up a car factory. Even if the first option raised $1B anyway, I'd still have much less confidence in the capability of the people running the kickstarter.

So ask, what are the engineering costs to develop the product, and what will it cost to set up an assembly line for the product? IMO, $10k isn't enough for a monitor. Best case scenario is this is a product that was getting manufactured anyway, and is just using kickstarter for advertising.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Mar 2021, 17:53

I'd add product release history.

The existence of a successful track record in previous kickstarter can influence risk-reductions, but may not eliminate all risks.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Blurrrr

Post by Blurrrr » 03 Mar 2021, 06:57

I’m aware of how kickstarter works ;-) Just asking about tech :-]

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 03 Mar 2021, 11:32

What tech? The one that looks LEAST like a scam is still claiming it's supposed to ship two years ago.

Blurrrr

Post by Blurrrr » 08 Mar 2021, 14:53

Sparky wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 11:32
What tech? The one that looks LEAST like a scam is still claiming it's supposed to ship two years ago.
I know I know. Just asking about specs :roll:

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 09 Mar 2021, 16:06

What do I think about the specs? Some important ones are missing.

Two of them don't even specify a display interface, one claims "universal compatibility" which is actually impossible, and none of them specifies refresh rate, which is something you know way before you start manufacturing something.

Practically speaking, buy a normal external monitor, or a portable monitor that's already for sale.

Blurrrr

Post by Blurrrr » 10 Mar 2021, 07:07

Sparky wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 16:06
What do I think about the specs? Some important ones are missing.

Two of them don't even specify a display interface, one claims "universal compatibility" which is actually impossible, and none of them specifies refresh rate, which is something you know way before you start manufacturing something.

Practically speaking, buy a normal external monitor, or a portable monitor that's already for sale.
Any suggestions about the portable monitor? :-)

Anyone? :?