NVME SSD for Least Amount of Streaming Stutter?

All Unidentified Forum Objects go in this area! Any fun alien talk goes in this U.F.O. Abduction Lounge, even topics other than monitors or computers. Introduce yourself!
Iamtheguy

NVME SSD for Least Amount of Streaming Stutter?

Post by Iamtheguy » 12 Aug 2021, 10:51

Hi all, building a new pc and am looking for a nvme ssd that would help with streaming stutter. Should I be looking for random read qd1 performance?

Is ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB a good one for this? It does very well on anandtech's Burst 4kb Random Read (QD1) test and is fairly inexpensive. Thanks!

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: NVME SSD for Least Amount of Streaming Stutter?

Post by RealNC » 13 Aug 2021, 03:47

(Moved to off-topic.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Aug 2021, 02:28

Do you mean texture streaming stutter, or do you mean online video streaming stutter?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Iamtheguy

Post by Iamtheguy » 01 Sep 2021, 01:46

I am referring to in-game stutter. I tried to build a pc that can play most modern games locked at 120fps 1080p with motion blur reduction enabled. Unfortunately it just does not work (no matter how much time and money I throw at it) except for the competitive titles/older games. CPU bottleneck is a big one, despite running 5900x with extremely overclocked dual rank 32gb ram; Then there is the streaming stutters; It is also a huge pain to have to spend 5 minutes tuning the whole setup for before playing a different game for maximum motion clarity. I have gone back to VRR for now to preserve my sanity. :oops:

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 01 Sep 2021, 08:54

Iamtheguy wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 01:46
I am referring to in-game stutter. I tried to build a pc that can play most modern games locked at 120fps 1080p
What's your GPU? This should be achievable with something like an RTX 3080.

As for asset streaming stutter, no NVME can help you here. There is virtually no difference in asset loading speeds between an old SATA SSD and the fastest NVMEs money can buy. You need to wait for games that support DirectStorage to come out. Games that will have support for it will finally be able to actually get a benefit when using an NVME.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.