Is my Seasonic Tx-850W going bad? Shutdown today once 12V noise issue?

All Unidentified Forum Objects go in this area! Any fun alien talk goes in this U.F.O. Abduction Lounge, even topics other than monitors or computers. Introduce yourself!
sew333

Is my Seasonic Tx-850W going bad? Shutdown today once 12V noise issue?

Post by sew333 » 27 Dec 2021, 19:37

Hi dear users. I have had an problem today.

My pc:
10850K stock 4800mhz stock Kraken X73 good temps
2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3000mhz XMP
Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium
Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming OC
Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming
1 TB SSD

I bought machine and plugged in march 2021. No single issue,no reboots,no shutdowns. I played all games for many hours,no issues. Today…i launched Metro Exodus and after cinematic part pc just shutdown. I rebooted again and its fine again.

Happened when gpu load change from 0% to 99%.

My question is. It was psu issue or maybe other hardware?

I remember that when pc goes off ,pc case lights flickered once and monitor flickered. That not happens when i shutting down manually.

i am running now game and no shutdowns. Happened today once. Also i have pc until march 2021 and thats like today never happened.

Is psu going just bad,rma or what you recommend for me. Thank you :)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Is my Seasonic Tx-850W going bad? Shutdown today once 12V noise issue?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Jan 2022, 22:16

Happy New Year 2022.
I presume you mean March 2022, not March 2021.

Sudden power spikes can overload the 12V rail of a power supply, even a Seansonic. If you use detachable power connectors on the power supply, try swapping it with a different power-connector wire (from the original power supply box) -- sometimes semi-defective connectors just voltage-sags more than a good connector. Try jiggling the connectors too.

Also, if your Seasonic uses two 12V rails, and your GPU has two power connectors, try connecting one connector per 12V rail, to balance the voltage/amperage between the two rails.

Some computer builders screw up and connect the whole shebang to just one 12V rail and nothing to the other 12V rail, and boom -- you overload one 12V rail on the PSU. Check if this harebrained mistake was made as that is no way to baby the power of a pricey GPU...

Separate 12V rails may be on the top row and bottom row of detachable power connectors of a PSU that utilizes detachable connectors. So for a 2-connector GPU, try connecting one connector to top row and one connector to bottom row. To redistribute the amperage around better.

Yes, the PSU could in fact be defective, but hit those low-lying apples first -- like replacing those detachable power connectors. The PSU might be fine while the power connector is not, for example. Most enthusiast PSUs now use detachable power connectors (on both ends) which means twice as many weak links for loose connectors, so sometimes it's just a remedy of swapping/moving power connectors cables or connecting to different connections on the power supply -- to avoid those voltage sags that crashes a power-hungry RTX card.

Also slightly overvoltaging the GPU (by under 1% extra voltage) and/or slightly underclocking it (1%-5% below stock), might be all an RTX needs to avoid those major voltage sags until PSU fixes is installed -- if you're worried about corruption from the crashes. Normally the GPU should not crash at its spec but, these are power hungry beasts that are best run on a PSU of a bigger safety margin than just merely 850W in many cases, since those accelerator-pedal-slams (0%->100%) is the moment where internal voltages can sag enough to crash a computer...

Like suddenly turning a heater on or a refrigerator cycling (where lights can flicker), sudden power changes of 0%->100% is where a computer stability is the most fragile (the voltages inside a computer literally flickers the most from the sudden non-gradual cycling -- CPUs and GPUs don't like unexpected voltage variances like this).

Reduce that by improving the connections, connectors, overvolting (a tiny bit), and underclocking (a tiny bit), if you're trying your damndest best to avoid RMA or still waiting for an Amazon delivery of a replacement power-connector cable...

Hopefully it's just simply a loose, bad, or mis-plugged GPU power connector cables that's just an easy swap with a different $5-$10 part from Amazon (if you don't already have extras inside the original boxes).

At these power-hungry RTX that only has infrequent crashes -- even a power connector cable replacement may be all that is needed -- the detachable power-connector ability to deliver can vary by more than 10% in load testing, and a bad cable may deliver slightly less than the rated amperage without a sage below rated voltage tolerance range.

You might still need to RMA, but try low-lying apples first.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

sew333

Re: Is my Seasonic Tx-850W going bad? Shutdown today once 12V noise issue?

Post by sew333 » 05 Jan 2022, 22:16

I remember that when pc goes off ,pc case lights flickered for a second and then turned off completely. That flicker not happens when i shutting down pc manually.
I have checked to ON in bios: Automatic restart after power loss.

Also monitor flickered 10 seconds after shutdown.

In my room i had laptop on connected to other power cord in this moment, and in eventlogs there was not log about power mode changing to battery.So i think power was on in house. Also router plugged to wall dont turned off, because WIFI was active on laptop ,though.

Ok i am running now game and no shutdowns. Happened once 4 days ago. Also i have pc until march 2021 and thats like today never happened.

Is psu going just bad,rma or what you recommend for me. Thank you

It's not overcurrent protection getting triggered.
That causes complete shutdown of PSU needing power cycling to clear it.
I don’t have to flip switch.