Blur Busters Forums

Who you gonna call? The Blur Busters! For Everything Better Than 60Hz™ Skip to content

Modern tech journalism

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see on the Net!

Modern tech journalism

Postby ko4 » 30 Sep 2018, 11:40

ko4

Re: Modern tech journalism

Postby RealNC » 01 Oct 2018, 05:21

LOL. That was seriously bad. When they tested with a high speed camera, one would assume they'd do that to test if there's any VRR going on, not just tearing. You don't need a high speed cam to check for tearing; you have your eyes for that.

Even the title was weird. "TR's FreeSync monitors." Is TR a manufacturer that makes monitors?
TwitterSteamGitHubStack Overflow

The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.
RealNC

Postby zivko » 06 Dec 2018, 01:15

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/29/181 ... tor-review
What a waste it was giving the monitor to that reviewer
zivko

Postby RealNC » 06 Dec 2018, 01:27

zivko wrote:https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/29/18117241/msi-oculux-nxg251-monitor-review
What a waste it was giving the monitor to that reviewer

Isn't that the same people who did that now infamous "PC build" a while ago? These people are simply not qualified to do any of this :-/
TwitterSteamGitHubStack Overflow

The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.
RealNC

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 06 Dec 2018, 03:19

They have their target audience different from Blur Busters -- more mainstream -- so the Verge article cater to the audience they're writing to. The editor subheadline is a little baity ("Is there any reason to buy a 240Hz monitor?") -- but oftentimes that's the master editor's choosing rather than the article writer's (Sometimes to the article writer's chagrin!).

There are good points at the end like "...provided you have a graphics card capable of hitting these kinds of frame rates, of course." which is a pretty reasonable thing to say for 240Hz monitors. There's more acknowledgement of 240Hz benefits within that article than the subheading. So I shall let that one slide -- it's the "There's zero benefit to "X Hz" articles" and the "1000Hz is useless" and the "Humans can't see X frames per second" that I reserve my true disdain for. The science is more complicated (blur effects, stroboscopic effets, etc) than just that.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Return to News / Rumors / Conventions