Samsung Odyssey G7 - Global Launch (June

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
jasswolf
Posts: 26
Joined: 23 Jan 2020, 05:09

Re: Samsung Odessy G9 is HERE !

Post by jasswolf » 17 Jul 2020, 02:45

Joel D wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 02:15
Yea I could see that. For me, its just too wide. Nothing even spits out a 32:9 image does it ? None of my games do. Never seen that option. No movies I know do. Don't really see the point. Wont non-32:9 content either look stretched or have black bars down the sides ? I just think its a touch ridiculous. I don't even see like that in real life, lol. I think 16:9 is a perfect sweet spot.

That said, if the monitor could do 2 16:9 images (like could I do dual desktop on it ?) then doing dual desktop on 1 monitor would be cool !
Your settings are limited by the capabilities of your monitor. Not all games have full ultrawide support, but many do. Without said monitor, the option won't appear.
Joel D wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 02:15
Ok, good news. I've been asking this but no one can give me a straight answer. Can I ask you something - So I have a cable like that. I bought it as overkill. BUT it says 8k @ 60hz. But someone else told me to ignore descriptions and just go with speed transmission capabilities. Either way, I got a Vesa Certified DP 1.4 HBR3 cable. And I also got the Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (and processor just as bad ass, brand new computer, windows 10 64, etc..) what are my limits with those things ? 8k @ ?, 4k @ ? 2560x1440 @ ?

Please let me know, as I'd like to know what's the furthest I can go with a monitor as it sits.. Thanks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPo ... dard_video

That will show you what's possible. 8k120Hz is possible with 8-bit colour, DSC and chroma subsampling (4:2:2 in this case), but I wouldn't recommend pushing past what DSC alone covers.

It's unlikely your 2080Ti will ever push far beyond 4k240Hz or 8k60Hz performance, and only then through either DLSS or massive graphical tweaks to boost frame rates. With RTX 3000 cards to be released in a couple of months, that's probably going to leverage the kind of graphical fidelity you might be targeting with 4k120Hz and up.
Joel D wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 02:15
Oh good to know about VA's. But I did read QLED was proprietary guess it was wrong, or its more like the name is Proprietary and the technology under a different name is just technology. ?? But either way, no sir, I definitely don't think IPS is king. I personally like OLED as it looks the best to date to me. Calibrates to true industry standards and is just best right now to me personally. But I did read the article to fill me in on other panels. Thanks for that.

This G7 32" does look interesting to me too. But besides all the specs, the question is, how does it really look in real life and how does it really perform ? I was excited to see it released just cause what it means is more tech is coming soon. This is a exciting day !
Quantum dot technology is not proprietary, but QLED is a Samsung term for their version of that, probably under trademark.

I would compare it a budget HDR TV, just with much better response times (and refresh rate). So you get wonderful rich colours compared to most monitors, but a tacked-on HDR experience. That being said, it looks like a VA that you could genuinely use for competitive (read: fast-paced) gaming, namely shooters.

Joel D
Posts: 118
Joined: 25 Apr 2020, 19:06

Re: Samsung Odessy G9 is HERE !

Post by Joel D » 17 Jul 2020, 13:26

jasswolf wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 02:45
Your settings are limited by the capabilities of your monitor. Not all games have full ultrawide support, but many do. Without said monitor, the option won't appear.
Ahh, yes I get it. Obviously same thing for movies too (though what camera can film that ? And why ? haha), but I get it, the option doesn't appear till it detects your gear.
jasswolf wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 02:45
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPo ... dard_video

That will show you what's possible. 8k120Hz is possible with 8-bit colour, DSC and chroma subsampling (4:2:2 in this case), but I wouldn't recommend pushing past what DSC alone covers.

It's unlikely your 2080Ti will ever push far beyond 4k240Hz or 8k60Hz performance, and only then through either DLSS or massive graphical tweaks to boost frame rates. With RTX 3000 cards to be released in a couple of months, that's probably going to leverage the kind of graphical fidelity you might be targeting with 4k120Hz and up.
Thanks for the answers. Weird cause that chart specifies HBR3 cables only doing 25.92Gb/s. Which just barely keeps me from getting 4k@144hz/fps. But the one I bought says it does 32.4Gb/s, which just barely allows me to get 4k@144hz/fps. LOL So which is it ? And now to add to that, does my 2080Ti (its clocked for gaming btw) achieve 4k@144hz/fps ? Or no ?

Thanks for the info though. Ideally (FYI) I do not need to *surpass* 4k@240hz/fps, BUT I would like to achieve that comfortably with no hiccups, solid and smooth style. (8k imo is just not needed for a long time.)
jasswolf wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 02:45
Quantum dot technology is not proprietary, but QLED is a Samsung term for their version of that, probably under trademark.
Yes, I get it. Def under trademark. Ok so the root tech under the hood is Quantum Dot. Got it. (hence the Q).
jasswolf wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 02:45
I would compare it a budget HDR TV, just with much better response times (and refresh rate). That being said, it looks like a VA that you could genuinely use for competitive (read: fast-paced) gaming, namely shooters.
I wanted to address that next, but didn't want to sound snooty here. But yes, EVERYTHING Samsung makes is "budget" imo. When I was testing and testing TV's, Samsung, regardless of their wonder slogans and adds and everything they said in a description, with the same tech and specs as a Sony TV lets say.. ALWAYS 100% of the time fell short and looked horrible in comparison. Honestly worse looking TVs out of Sony, Panasonic, LG, etc..

I also never liked their phones, though I admit thats the ONE thing they do ok if and only if you buy the highest end model. (but there is politics behind that even, as they been sued and court cases over copying Apple and stealing tech from within apple phones to make their phones back in the beginning of Samsung smartphone days). TBH, I despise Samsung as a company in general. Though this monitor specs and advertises as something exciting to me now... I have a gut feeling for some reason when you unbox it and calibrate it, it just won't look as good as a competitor ONCE that competitor has the same exact tech and specs and calibrated. Long story short, Samsung just sucks to me and always has. They are one notch above generic and thats only cause they got a name. lol So I am weary of it. And sharing the fair educated warning.

jasswolf
Posts: 26
Joined: 23 Jan 2020, 05:09

Re: Samsung Odessy G9 is HERE !

Post by jasswolf » 18 Jul 2020, 06:07

Joel D wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 13:26
Thanks for the answers. Weird cause that chart specifies HBR3 cables only doing 25.92Gb/s. Which just barely keeps me from getting 4k@144hz/fps. But the one I bought says it does 32.4Gb/s, which just barely allows me to get 4k@144hz/fps. LOL So which is it ? And now to add to that, does my 2080Ti (its clocked for gaming btw) achieve 4k@144hz/fps ? Or no ?

Thanks for the info though. Ideally (FYI) I do not need to *surpass* 4k@240hz/fps, BUT I would like to achieve that comfortably with no hiccups, solid and smooth style. (8k imo is just not needed for a long time.)
That reads like you were looking at the limits for 8-bit colour, SDR/sRGB without compression. DSC gets you to 4k 240Hz and 8k 75Hz with 10-bit colour and HDR.

Joel D
Posts: 118
Joined: 25 Apr 2020, 19:06

Re: Samsung Odessy G9 is HERE !

Post by Joel D » 18 Jul 2020, 14:42

jasswolf wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 06:07

That reads like you were looking at the limits for 8-bit colour, SDR/sRGB without compression. DSC gets you to 4k 240Hz and 8k 75Hz with 10-bit colour and HDR.
Ahh, ok, dang this stuff is so confusing. lol

jasswolf
Posts: 26
Joined: 23 Jan 2020, 05:09

Re: Samsung Odessy G9 is HERE !

Post by jasswolf » 19 Jul 2020, 06:00

Joel D wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 14:42
jasswolf wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 06:07

That reads like you were looking at the limits for 8-bit colour, SDR/sRGB without compression. DSC gets you to 4k 240Hz and 8k 75Hz with 10-bit colour and HDR.
Ahh, ok, dang this stuff is so confusing. lol
You might also be getting snagged on is that only 80% of the cable bandwidth is used for the video signal. The other 20% is for encoding purposes.

Joel D
Posts: 118
Joined: 25 Apr 2020, 19:06

Re: Samsung Odessy G9 is HERE !

Post by Joel D » 19 Jul 2020, 14:41

jasswolf wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 06:00
You might also be getting snagged on is that only 80% of the cable bandwidth is used for the video signal. The other 20% is for encoding purposes.
Oh man.. there's more !?!?!?! lol :lol: :o

Post Reply