Samsung QD OLED

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
Tom Clancy's E-sport

Re: Samsung QD OLED

Post by Tom Clancy's E-sport » 16 Jun 2022, 05:52

jasswolf wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 01:27
Tom Clancy's E-sport wrote:
15 Jun 2022, 19:31
It seems AW3423DW has strange flickering. How long can you play games with this monitor? Hae you ever noticed any fatigue?

https://youtu.be/Ny7Nlk0V9DA.
This has been covered a fair bit, and isn't anything like PWM-based dimming solutions from the past. It's a normal feature of OLED panels, and shouldn't be an issue for eye strain.
I think this is likely why the flickering is worse. The frequency of the flickering is the same as the refresh rate of the monitor. It's 175Hz and below. It is a rather low frequency.

For the past months, I use the monitor in a dim room and I often find my eyes rather stressed after using the monitor for an hour. This never happened when I use other monitors.

jasswolf

Post by jasswolf » 21 Jun 2022, 00:27

16 Jun 2022, 05:52
jasswolf wrote:
It seems AW3423DW has strange flickering. How long can you play games with this monitor? Hae you ever noticed any fatigue?

This has been covered a fair bit, and isn't anything like PWM-based dimming solutions from the past. It's a normal feature of OLED panels, and shouldn't be an issue for eye strain.
I think this is likely why the flickering is worse. The frequency of the flickering is the same as the refresh rate of the monitor. It's 175Hz and below. It is a rather low frequency.

For the past months, I use the monitor in a dim room and I often find my eyes rather stressed after using the monitor for an hour. This never happened when I use other monitors.
I doubt the brightness change even registers physiologically, at least beyond the tiniest response in photoreceptors.

Tom Clancy's E-sport

Post by Tom Clancy's E-sport » 21 Jun 2022, 17:14

jasswolf wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 00:27
jasswolf wrote:

I doubt the brightness change even registers physiologically, at least beyond the tiniest response in photoreceptors.
Compare to other monitors, I can certainly feel the stress when looking at it.

The brightness graph shows increased 100nits dip in just SDR, not even mentioning HDR.

jani80k

Post by jani80k » 22 Jun 2022, 09:26

Does anyone know whether it is a downside to use this monitor with a Radeon 6900 XT.
It does support Freesync according to my research.
Is there an increased input lag vs using it with a GeForce & G-Sync?
AW_FS.com.png
AW_FS.com.png (31.65 KiB) Viewed 9856 times
The reason I am asking is I will build a PC with 5800x3D and 6900XT because of SAM.
In theory it should work fine with this monitor - am I overlooking anything?

jasswolf

Post by jasswolf » 23 Jun 2022, 21:52

21 Jun 2022, 17:14
jasswolf wrote:
jasswolf wrote:

The brightness graph shows increased 100nits dip in just SDR, not even mentioning HDR.
Anything being recorded - assuming it's being done correctly - is a brightness oscillation with the panel refresh, not a backlight pulse.

The intensity recorded suggests that's being measured with a moving image? And even then, it's 50 nits, not 100.

Tom Clancy's E-sport

Post by Tom Clancy's E-sport » 25 Jun 2022, 19:11

jasswolf wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 21:52
jasswolf wrote:

Anything being recorded - assuming it's being done correctly - is a brightness oscillation with the panel refresh, not a backlight pulse.

The intensity recorded suggests that's being measured with a moving image? And even then, it's 50 nits, not 100.
The chart with 100 brightness is the supposed 260nits in SDR. The lowest point is around 160nits. This is already 100nits dip, more than 1/3 total brightness, in just SDR, at 175Hz or below. The chart doesn't even show the HDR dip in brightness. It can be even bigger dips in HDR. The stress when looking at the monitor is quite strong.

jasswolf

Post by jasswolf » 26 Jun 2022, 01:53

25 Jun 2022, 19:11
jasswolf wrote:
jasswolf wrote:

The chart with 100 brightness is the supposed 260nits in SDR. The lowest point is around 160nits. This is already 100nits dip, more than 1/3 total brightness, in just SDR, at 175Hz or below. The chart doesn't even show the HDR dip in brightness. It can be even bigger dips in HDR. The stress when looking at the monitor is quite strong.
And yet the chart you're linking suggests it's a 50 nit change. Putting aside that brightness changes are not perceived linearly, this is still a much larger change than any other such measurement taken for this monitor.

How has everyone else missed this?

Tom Clancy's E-sport

Post by Tom Clancy's E-sport » 29 Jun 2022, 10:25

jasswolf wrote:
26 Jun 2022, 01:53
jasswolf wrote:

And yet the chart you're linking suggests it's a 50 nit change. Putting aside that brightness changes are not perceived linearly, this is still a much larger change than any other such measurement taken for this monitor.

It's from a review of another monitor.

https://youtu.be/O5ARpyB4KTg?t=358

They mentioned AW3423DW when they retested the flickering, which makes things worse than trinational PWM as the flickering is bonded to the low refresh rate. Even it is a 50nits dip per frame, it is still quite a lot drop in total brightness. That is enough to cause eye strain than other gaming monitors. I also find the monitor not suitable for competitive gaming because eye strain happens quite often.

jasswolf

Post by jasswolf » 02 Jul 2022, 11:42

29 Jun 2022, 10:25
jasswolf wrote:
jasswolf wrote:

They mentioned AW3423DW when they retested the flickering, which makes things worse than trinational PWM as the flickering is bonded to the low refresh rate. Even it is a 50nits dip per frame, it is still quite a lot drop in total brightness. That is enough to cause eye strain than other gaming monitors. I also find the monitor not suitable for competitive gaming because eye strain happens quite often.
That doesn't answer my question. No one else observed results like these when testing for this exact issue.

How are they getting this result? What is the difference in their test procedure that has them concerned?

Tom Clancy's E-sport

Post by Tom Clancy's E-sport » 05 Jul 2022, 14:16

jasswolf wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 11:42
29 Jun 2022, 10:25
jasswolf wrote:

That doesn't answer my question. No one else observed results like these when testing for this exact issue.

How are they getting this result? What is the difference in their test procedure that has them concerned?
Maybe their test equipment are more industrial than others. They are one of the fewer reviewer who tears apart monitors. This monitor indeed flickers. Eye strain is real.