ASUS ROG Swift 500Hz Announced!

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
Dalek

Re: ASUS ROG Swift 500Hz Announced!

Post by Dalek » 25 Jan 2024, 08:22

babooz99 wrote:
23 Jan 2024, 21:21
You guys need to stop crying about dark spots and this and that. The monitor brings 540hz. Does the 540hz work? Does it give you a competitive advantage? Is it smooth?

Yes? Then monitor is good. You paid all that money for the 540hz, not anything else. Stop crying babies
A monitor at this price range should be flawless, not just solely good at one thing.

SirensOW

Post by SirensOW » 31 Jan 2024, 12:28

unklezog wrote:
22 Jan 2024, 15:04
What fps you guys getting in Overwatch at lowest settings 1080p and what videocard. I get 600fps but it dips around 400-450 dps in heavy fights on a 3080ti + 14900k.
I have a 14900k + 7800mhz DDR5 + 4070ti. That range sounds about right. I usually only bottom out at ~450fps during ridiculous ult fights. 500fps+ 95% of the game. Some maps are just much worse than others. A good benchmark is Kings Row. That map provides the highest FPS. 600fps locked entire game.

Check your GPU utilisation - is it hitting 95%+ usage?

What is your RAM speed? Have you attempted to use a faster XMP profile/ do manual timing tuning?

Also, try turning "Reduce buffering" off or on, this setting can drastically limit max fps

daviddave1

Post by daviddave1 » 02 Feb 2024, 16:00

| Now: ASUS PG248QP 540Hz. | Past : VG259QM with the Qisda panel/PG27AQN/XL2566K

Boop

Post by Boop » 04 Feb 2024, 18:07

masneb wrote:
16 Jan 2024, 23:04
If you're talking about the screen door effect, distance between pixels is more noticeable with this monitor then others. Not exactly sure why, goes away if you move around a bit.

I've also found at different refresh rates it's more prevalent then at others. Monitor definitely has some strange nuances.
https://www.testufo.com/chase#backgroun ... &height=-1

This artifact is very easy to recreate too. Use the link above and set your browser zoom to 33%. If you zoom in then the artifact disappears. At 60hz it's horrible to look at even on the desktop or menus in games and resembles an interlaced picture. If I turn on G-Sync and the refresh rate dips low enough, the artifact will appear even more often. I've tried swapping Display Port cables, disabling DSC, disabling ULMB, disabling G-Sync, different resolutions, and still no change.

gab848

Post by gab848 » 06 Feb 2024, 18:44

daviddave1 wrote:
07 Jan 2024, 15:21
gab848 wrote:
07 Jan 2024, 14:59
daviddave1 wrote:
11 Dec 2023, 16:28
gab848 wrote:
11 Dec 2023, 04:43

Ok, so I want to ask you again. Can you get black bars on any resolution? There is the option in the Monitor Aspect Control - eSports Pro Mode that provides 4 resolutions for black bars. But when this is used the in-game menu alignment is way off. My friend apparently can get black bars without this option. Using 5800x, RTX 4080. Can you try to get black bars on res such as 1024 x 768 or 1440 x 1080 or 1480 x 1080. When you use the eSports Pro Mode is the alignment fine to the in-game menu's? Thanks for your help. I'm just really confused how he can get black bars without even using this "eSports Pro Mode" aspect ratio...
WAIT YOU COULD BE ON TO SOMETHING HERE. Apologies about my statement that blackbars are not available on this monitor. Will edit that out.
I just tested it with Quake Champions but the menu acted weird could not move my cursor over the correct object. Got stuck. I then switched to Apex Legends. In the menu of APEX i choose 1024x768 AND in the monitor menu i Choose 1024x768 Under Image, Aspect Control, Esports Pro mode, Res 1024x768. U get black bars on all sides then. UP DOWN LEFT RIGHT. Screen looks good also. Menu works good.

Apex Legends example: Image

If u choose Aspect instead of ESPORTS Pro Mode 1024x768 U ASLO Get bars in Apex Legends but just on top and side

Example : Image
Screen looks a little blocky though and streched. Menu works good.

1440x1080 is only accessible if you put the monitor in Aspect mode. ( so 1440x1080 in Apex Legends and monitor in Aspect mode.) Image

Black Bars top and bottom, Screen looks good. Menu works good.

In Apex legends no problems in the menu. I am checking Quake Champions again right now..

Ok I re-cecked Quake Champions 1024x768 Image black bars only on left and right with e-sports mode 1024x768 menu seems to work now.

On 1440x 1080 in menu of QC and Aspect in menu monitor THERE ARE NO BLACK BARS at all in Quake Champions! That's pretty weird. Image

Menu seems good.
So, after extensive testing side by side with the Zowie XL2566K. The ASUS ROG Swift Pro PG248QP is a much better monitor. The colours are far superior. Especially when you turn Wide Gamut On and change colour depth to 12 BPC. And if you do the colour calibration for it, it blows Zowie out of the water, but even the default calibration is fantastic. Zowie can only do 8 BPC, even the new model releases of ZOWIE XL2546X (240Hz Dyac 2) & XL2586X (540Hz Dyac 2). The Monitor is extremely smooth, even when playing games where the engines have a FPS cap limit where the FPS is way below 540 FPS. No screen tearing, smooth as butter. It also has outstanding input lag and close to no ghosting or trailing dependent on the Overdrive setting being used obviously. Much better in terms of input lag and ghosting than the Zowie XL2566K. I have also found an alternative way of how to get black bars without using the eSports mode on the OSD. NVIDIA Control Panel -> Adjust Desktop Size and Position -> Aspect Ratio -> Perform Scaling on Display -> Tick Override the scaling mode set by games and programs. Now the few "downsides" that it has. You cannot create custom resolutions when using 540Hz but this is due to NVIDIA drivers not the Monitor itself, so perhaps in the future it'll be fixed and we might get 540Hz option in Windows 10 Pro, long shot but possible. When using a popular resolution for eSports games such as 1440 x 1080p black bars you can only do 480Hz. It doesn't have some crucial features which it should have considering it's being marketed as "The best eSports gaming Monitor". No Sharpness in the OSD, no Black Equalizer in the OSD (there is Dark Boost - Off, Level 1-3) which is not even close to Zowie's Black Equalizer. Also, when using Motion Blur NVIDIA ULMB 2, the Overdrive setting is disabled and ULMB 2 can be used from 360Hz and above only. As far as the build quality goes, it's pretty average especially for such a high price tag, but the QC as far as dead pixels go isn't as bad as Zowie's Monitors. Also when using ULMB 2 sometimes it turns itself off when you minimize and maximize games and the fact that you can't change the Overdrive (OD) setting when using ULMB 2 isn't ideal either. The goal of this short review is to help people decide whether to buy this Monitor or not. I'm personally curious about the Zowie XL2586X (540Hz), it will have a colour depth of only 8 BPC and it won't be able to do custom resolutions either at 540Hz, not until NVIDIA release other drivers.
Nice summary! tnx for sharing. I uploaded the ICC profile from TFT central.
The TFTCentral ICC profile makes a pretty big difference imo. Make sure to select reference mode in NVIDIA ctrl panel at colors and to select the ICC profile in the Windows settings of the monitor.
https://we.tl/t-ymniSVe4UW ( u can also dl it from tft but u need a 1 $ patreon account to do so)

From the downloadpage of tftcentral also the following additional info:

Preset mode: Racing
Notes incl. Gamma: Gamma 2.4. Gamut wide
Brightness: 20
Contrast: 50
R:100
G:100
B: 98
( I changed the settings to gamma 2.2 and played with the colors some more. But its a good start.)
I will be keeping my Asus PG248QP over the new Zowie XL2586X because of the colours, they are far superior. And the colour depth of 12 BPC over 8 BPC (Zowie). But the Zowie has certain features that I would've liked the Asus to have. Such as Sharpness and Black Equalizer in the OSD (there is Dark Boost - Off, Level 1-3) which is kind of like Black Equalizer just not as good.
A few updates about the Zowie XL2586X 540Hz. It will have HDMI 2.1 so it could potentially be able to do custom resolutions at 540Hz. But there is still a probability that it's a NVIDIA Driver issue (GPU) and it still might not be possible to have custom resolutions. Also the price of it. It's very steep, considering you're getting a 1080p TN Panel 24.1inch. It's more expensive than the most High-End 1440p Panel which is frankly ridiculous. I didn't think it was possible to be more expensive than the Asus PG248QP, oh but it is. Here is a pre-order €1200 from Amazon Spain without delivery charges and the differences in VAT of each country, so you're looking at around €1300. https://www.amazon.es/BenQ-XL2586X-Moni ... C51&sr=8-1

daviddave1

Post by daviddave1 » 07 Feb 2024, 04:00

gab848 wrote:
06 Feb 2024, 18:44
daviddave1 wrote:
gab848 wrote:
daviddave1 wrote:
11 Dec 2023, 16:28

WAIT YOU COULD BE ON TO SOMETHING HERE. Apologies about my statement that blackbars are not available on this monitor. Will edit that out.
I just tested it with Quake Champions but the menu acted weird could not move my cursor over the correct object. Got stuck. I then switched to Apex Legends. In the menu of APEX i choose 1024x768 AND in the monitor menu i Choose 1024x768 Under Image, Aspect Control, Esports Pro mode, Res 1024x768. U get black bars on all sides then. UP DOWN LEFT RIGHT. Screen looks good also. Menu works good.

Apex Legends example: Image

If u choose Aspect instead of ESPORTS Pro Mode 1024x768 U ASLO Get bars in Apex Legends but just on top and side

Example : Image
Screen looks a little blocky though and streched. Menu works good.

1440x1080 is only accessible if you put the monitor in Aspect mode. ( so 1440x1080 in Apex Legends and monitor in Aspect mode.) Image

Black Bars top and bottom, Screen looks good. Menu works good.

In Apex legends no problems in the menu. I am checking Quake Champions again right now..

Ok I re-cecked Quake Champions 1024x768 Image black bars only on left and right with e-sports mode 1024x768 menu seems to work now.

On 1440x 1080 in menu of QC and Aspect in menu monitor THERE ARE NO BLACK BARS at all in Quake Champions! That's pretty weird. Image

Menu seems good.
So, after extensive testing side by side with the Zowie XL2566K. The ASUS ROG Swift Pro PG248QP is a much better monitor. The colours are far superior. Especially when you turn Wide Gamut On and change colour depth to 12 BPC. And if you do the colour calibration for it, it blows Zowie out of the water, but even the default calibration is fantastic. Zowie can only do 8 BPC, even the new model releases of ZOWIE XL2546X (240Hz Dyac 2) & XL2586X (540Hz Dyac 2). The Monitor is extremely smooth, even when playing games where the engines have a FPS cap limit where the FPS is way below 540 FPS. No screen tearing, smooth as butter. It also has outstanding input lag and close to no ghosting or trailing dependent on the Overdrive setting being used obviously. Much better in terms of input lag and ghosting than the Zowie XL2566K. I have also found an alternative way of how to get black bars without using the eSports mode on the OSD. NVIDIA Control Panel -> Adjust Desktop Size and Position -> Aspect Ratio -> Perform Scaling on Display -> Tick Override the scaling mode set by games and programs. Now the few "downsides" that it has. You cannot create custom resolutions when using 540Hz but this is due to NVIDIA drivers not the Monitor itself, so perhaps in the future it'll be fixed and we might get 540Hz option in Windows 10 Pro, long shot but possible. When using a popular resolution for eSports games such as 1440 x 1080p black bars you can only do 480Hz. It doesn't have some crucial features which it should have considering it's being marketed as "The best eSports gaming Monitor". No Sharpness in the OSD, no Black Equalizer in the OSD (there is Dark Boost - Off, Level 1-3) which is not even close to Zowie's Black Equalizer. Also, when using Motion Blur NVIDIA ULMB 2, the Overdrive setting is disabled and ULMB 2 can be used from 360Hz and above only. As far as the build quality goes, it's pretty average especially for such a high price tag, but the QC as far as dead pixels go isn't as bad as Zowie's Monitors. Also when using ULMB 2 sometimes it turns itself off when you minimize and maximize games and the fact that you can't change the Overdrive (OD) setting when using ULMB 2 isn't ideal either. The goal of this short review is to help people decide whether to buy this Monitor or not. I'm personally curious about the Zowie XL2586X (540Hz), it will have a colour depth of only 8 BPC and it won't be able to do custom resolutions either at 540Hz, not until NVIDIA release other drivers.
The TFTCentral ICC profile makes a pretty big difference imo. Make sure to select reference mode in NVIDIA ctrl panel at colors and to select the ICC profile in the Windows settings of the monitor.
https://we.tl/t-ymniSVe4UW ( u can also dl it from tft but u need a 1 $ patreon account to do so)

( I changed the settings to gamma 2.2 and played with the colors some more. But its a good start.)
I will be keeping my Asus PG248QP over the new Zowie XL2586X because of the colours, they are far superior. And the colour depth of 12 BPC over 8 BPC (Zowie). But the Zowie has certain features that I would've liked the Asus to have. Such as Sharpness and Black Equalizer in the OSD (there is Dark Boost - Off, Level 1-3) which is kind of like Black Equalizer just not as good.
A few updates about the Zowie XL2586X 540Hz. It will have HDMI 2.1 so it could potentially be able to do custom resolutions at 540Hz. But there is still a probability that it's a NVIDIA Driver issue (GPU) and it still might not be possible to have custom resolutions. Also the price of it. It's very steep, considering you're getting a 1080p TN Panel 24.1inch. It's more expensive than the most High-End 1440p Panel which is frankly ridiculous. I didn't think it was possible to be more expensive than the Asus PG248QP, oh but it is. Here is a pre-order €1200 from Amazon Spain without delivery charges and the differences in VAT of each country, so you're looking at around €1300. https://www.amazon.es/BenQ-XL2586X-Moni ... C51&sr=8-1
Very interesting info! ty. 1.199,00€ is about the same as the Asus 540hz when it came out in the at EU 1.179,00€ ( there should be no vat if you import a product from a EU country to a other EU country)
The no custom res is most likelyy a NVDIA driver issue indeed. This could mean that the ASUS 540hz will have custom res availble when NVIDIA fixes this.

1. Are you absolutely sure the Zowie only supports 8 BPC?
2. I wonder if HDMI 2.1. will still have to use compression at 540 hz 1080P . (There is a camp in this scene that is highly critical on using compression on monitors)
| Now: ASUS PG248QP 540Hz. | Past : VG259QM with the Qisda panel/PG27AQN/XL2566K

gab848

Post by gab848 » 07 Feb 2024, 08:04

daviddave1 wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 04:00
gab848 wrote:
06 Feb 2024, 18:44
daviddave1 wrote:
gab848 wrote:

Very interesting info! ty. 1.199,00€ is about the same as the Asus 540hz when it came out in the at EU 1.179,00€ ( there should be no vat if you import a product from a EU country to a other EU country)
The no custom res is most likelyy a NVDIA driver issue indeed. This could mean that the ASUS 540hz will have custom res availble when NVIDIA fixes this.

1. Are you absolutely sure the Zowie only supports 8 BPC?
2. I wonder if HDMI 2.1. will still have to use compression at 540 hz 1080P . (There is a camp in this scene that is highly critical on using compression on monitors)

1. Yes, I'm 100% sure. Zowie's new X's model will support True 8 BPC only. But at least it won't be this (6bit+2FRC).

2. I'm not sure whether it will use compression or not unfortunately. But on Zowie's official twitter, a person wrote that custom resolutions should work on HDMI 2.1 in theory. While Zowie replied with what I've said previously, that they are unsure if it will work. And that it depends on the NVIDIA Graphic Card Drivers. "(https://twitter.com/daviddave111/status ... 4492752365)"

And lastly what I was talking about was the VAT difference of each country. For example VAT in Germany is 19%, while lets say in Ireland it's 23% so you have to pay the difference of 4% on top of the €1200, plus the delivery it will end up at €1260 - €1300. Currently you can find the Asus Monitor for probably €1000 in Europe and for $899 in the US which is cheap, everything in the US is dirt cheap. Too bad I live in EU 🤣. But as I've said the colours are just too good on the Asus, it's like an anomaly, unheard of for a 1080p TN Panel. Feels like you're playing on 1440p even. I'll be keeping it even though I still have a return window with Amazon. Especially after having used the Asus PG248QP for a significant period of time and then returning to compare the Zowie XL2566K colours seemed to be completely washed out in comparison.

Boop

Post by Boop » 10 Feb 2024, 18:35

https://blurbusters.com/60hz-ulmb-hack-howto/

This ULMB hack works for refresh rates below 360Hz. I was able to make a custom resolution at 250Hz and enable ULMB.

UFO Ghost Test is night and day difference at 250Hz no ULMB vs ULMB enabled with custom pulse offset in the OSD menu.

I'm still experiencing the light colored vertical line artifacts on my screen at certain pixels/sec of motion. I'll probably RMA my monitor to see if maybe a newer unit has it fixed.

just20sent

Post by just20sent » 14 Feb 2024, 13:03

Hi! Just received mine and low key i'm shocked at how much the refresh rate is noticeable :o :o

Can someone recommend ideal settings for the monitor ? :)
I'm on a 13900ks/4090 combo playing a mix of valorant to warzone!

Thanks boys !!

FutureITPro20xx

Post by FutureITPro20xx » 15 Feb 2024, 16:10

just20sent wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 13:03
Hi! Just received mine and low key i'm shocked at how much the refresh rate is noticeable :o :o

Can someone recommend ideal settings for the monitor ? :)
I'm on a 13900ks/4090 combo playing a mix of valorant to warzone!

Thanks boys !!

CPU: i9-13900K

Graphics Card: RTX 4090

Monitor : ASUS ROG TN 540hz

Monitor Setting: Overclocked (unlocks 540hz)

Monitor Setting: E-Sports Mode 1024 x 768

Monitor Setting: Aspect Ratio: Full (full screen)

Nvidia Control Panel: Color Format: YCbCr422 (increases framerate)

Nvidia Control Panel: Performance Mode (increases framerate)

Monitor Setting: Game Visual G-Sync Esports (vibrant colors)

Steam/Epic/Battle Titles:

COD MW3: 540 FPS locked

Overwatch 2: 540 FPS locked

Valorant: 540FPS locked

Combat Master: 540 FPS Locked

Fornite: 500+ FPS

The Finals: 400+ FPS

Apex Legends: 300 FPS Locked

COD Warzone: 350+ FPS

CS GO: 400+ FPS