ASUS ROG Swift 500Hz Announced!

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
Crazyness

Re: ASUS ROG Swift 500Hz Announced!

Post by Crazyness » 25 May 2022, 14:09

https://amled.auo.com/en/

this is interesting..

if i understand it corectly:

they will "slap" qd-oled "film" on top of tn pannel
and caling it ETN(E-sportsTN).

if this is possible,then by the same formula we can get 1KH pannels, much much faster.

2 questions needs 2 get answered..

1.why didnt they use native qd-oled? (cost of production?)

2.why did they use TN? (the final nail in the coffin of debate why is TN god vs IPS regarding Esports)

side note:

are we ok with this kind of mixture?

every time we go forward in any area of online life..
we go at the same time couple steps back..

like why are you using TN in the first place,
and then stealing something from another tech,2 make your pannel act completely different?

by doing that you are prolonging qd oled lower refresh rates,
and prolonging milking money from end user.
i think i already answered ^^^

EDIT:
my post numba fifteh..
daddy's proud.

blurfreeCRTGimp

Post by blurfreeCRTGimp » 25 May 2022, 14:46

"why are you using TN in the first place,"

1. QD OLED is expensive as hell right now.

2. TN is as old as hell, therefore cheap as hell.

3. If they augment TN with QD it will give a perceptual benefit.

4. If they were to have a QD OLED that refreshed at 500hz 1080p, it would be eating the industry's lunch, and consumers would not need to buy a new display for a good while.

lyrill

Post by lyrill » 25 May 2022, 16:47

Boop wrote:...
the point was probs that "people who can afford X hz monitors usually afford a pc that runs about X as much fps"

lyrill

Post by lyrill » 25 May 2022, 16:50

blurfreeCRTGimp wrote:
25 May 2022, 14:46
"why are you using TN in the first place,"

1. QD OLED is expensive as hell right now.

2. TN is as old as hell, therefore cheap as hell.

3. If they augment TN with QD it will give a perceptual benefit.

4. If they were to have a QD OLED that refreshed at 500hz 1080p, it would be eating the industry's lunch, and consumers would not need to buy a new display for a good while.
you basically agreed with his critical sentiment lol

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 May 2022, 18:10

QD TN is still a worthwhile pursuit IF they can leapfrog modern IPS GtG by at least ~50% faster than today's fastest TN and fastest IPS.

QD front layer = theoretically improves TN view angle (in theory)
A bonus of QD layer on top of TN, is it may have better viewing angles than yesteryear TN, because the QD layer will sideways-scatter the colors. So this may be an interesting semi-bandaid (partial fix) for TN viewing angles. It won't fix it fully, but it could be less bad than yesteryear TN. This assumes the QD layer is one of the frontmost layers, catching the narrow-angle photons, and QD-reemitting it more scattered into wide-angle emissions. But if the QD layer is deeper into the LCD sandwich, it depends on which stage QD happens.

I'm interested to see if TN has any more legs in it, e.g. like the huge GtG leap between "IPS" and "Fast IPS".

If TN can do another sudden GtG leap (Above best 240Hz TN), that could help make 1000Hz easier. Don't count TN out yet, even if it's on its last few legs. Multiple-edge drive could pull that off.

In addition to TN layering optimization, lower-resistance microwires, and more sensitive active matrix transistors -- an example is pulsing the pixels from all 4 edges of an LCD to speed up row-column addressing. That may be the key to 1000Hz LCD this decade. Traditionally, most active matrix LCD pixels were row-column driven from only 2 edges, but that won't be enough in the refresh rate race. They've finally begun to fabricate 3-edge drivers and even considering 4-edge drivers.

I'd love the OLED horse to win the 1000Hz race, but I think the LCD horse will reach there first -- albeit maybe only by a couple years ahead of 1000Hz OLEDs.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

jasswolf

Post by jasswolf » 26 May 2022, 14:50

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
25 May 2022, 18:10
QD TN is still a worthwhile pursuit IF they can leapfrog modern IPS GtG by at least ~50% faster than today's fastest TN and fastest IPS.
They were suggesting +60% in the marketing material, I take it you feel that's a peak figure?
QD front layer = theoretically improves TN view angle (in theory)
A bonus of QD layer on top of TN, is it may have better viewing angles than yesteryear TN, because the QD layer will sideways-scatter the colors. So this may be an interesting semi-bandaid (partial fix) for TN viewing angles. It won't fix it fully, but it could be less bad than yesteryear TN. This assumes the QD layer is one of the frontmost layers, catching the narrow-angle photons, and QD-reemitting it more scattered into wide-angle emissions. But if the QD layer is deeper into the LCD sandwich, it depends on which stage QD happens.
We saw some of the draw backs with QD-OLED, albeit without a polariser: bright room performance heavily suffered as light would filter in the other way and leave a glow effect, but with a backlight and a polariser in the mix you'd have to assume things would be a little better.

I wonder if it'll create a panel glow effect reminiscent of IPS?
I'm interested to see if TN has any more legs in it, e.g. like the huge GtG leap between "IPS" and "Fast IPS".

If TN can do another sudden GtG leap (Above best 240Hz TN), that could help make 1000Hz easier. Don't count TN out yet, even if it's on its last few legs. Multiple-edge drive could pull that off.
Agreed, and I was surprised that it was killed off so quickly.
I'd love the OLED horse to win the 1000Hz race, but I think the LCD horse will reach there first -- albeit maybe only by a couple years ahead of 1000Hz OLEDs.
I'm hoping QNED is at least running a close third.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 May 2022, 16:01

jasswolf wrote:
26 May 2022, 14:50
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
25 May 2022, 18:10
They were suggesting +60% in the marketing material, I take it you feel that's a peak figure?
Not implying as such.

Just a real world threshold I feel of "worthwhileness" for TN to continue pushing the refresh rate race, regardless of marketing. They may have cherrypicked only one color transition, I'm more interested in seeing the ENTIRE GtG heatmap speed up.

If real-world improvement ends up is only 5% (on average for all colors of GtG heatmap averaged-out), then it's not as worthwhile. I'd say +50% averaged-out for all colors is the bare minimum for a good marketable leap in GtG performance relative to its past real-world honest benchmark performance.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

forcedreg

Post by forcedreg » 28 May 2022, 12:37

Just a heads up: You can already vote for this monitor to be reviewed by RTINGS, it can be found with the name "ASUS ROG Swift 500Hz". Might as well get it up there since they have some 5 monitors already queued up for review.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/suggestions

NDUS

Post by NDUS » 29 May 2022, 19:31

I wonder how Asus' implementation of this panel will compare to Zowie's

BTRY B 529th FA BN

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 29 May 2022, 20:02

You can see Asus is using the same outer shell parts that are used in the PG259QN so they can save on cost and jack the price up and make more profit.. watch rtings still say the 360 model is faster just like they did when comparing the 390hz model, lol smh