LG 27" 1440p 240hz OLED Ultragear 27GR95QE

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
Grasshopper24

Re: LG 27" 1440p 240hz OLED Ultragear 27GR95QE

Post by Grasshopper24 » 18 Jan 2023, 14:39

Kotoko wrote:
18 Jan 2023, 06:53
shoto1699 wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 20:48
Anyone else get their monitor today? Still trying to figure out what settings to use for this
I just got mine yesterday. So far turning off energy saving mode and vrr is what I did. Left others at default. Using gamer mode 1
I know it’s early but how do you like the display? How’s the picture quality/brightness during gaming use compared to LCD displays?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Jan 2023, 22:51

I've been hired to work on 240Hz OLEDs as of late, so I'll chime in a bit, as much as my NDAs allow me to do so.

My 240Hz OLED is a bit too bright at maximum brightness, so I adjust it down abit.

I'm used to ~150nit when I'm doing Visual Studio or documents/articles anyway.

Now when gaming, I like the HDR-like feel of perfect blacks. It can be more fun gaming on a ~300-nit OLED with perfect blacks (in a dark room) than a ~600+-nit LCD with grey blacks. The black reference amplifies the brightness feel of the brights when you're gaming indoors without sun shining in a window. LCD is superior if you've got a glass house obviously, but I can confirm these new LG OLEDs is too bright for my eyes when I'm just Visual Studioing at night.

Also, download "Better ClearType Tuner" app to make text look MUCH better on these new OLEDs. Tweak according to preference.

I've always run desktop LCDs at 30% brightness when doing computer text, so that's well within the OLED brightness range. When I am gaming, I like a brighter profile for the HDR-like behaviors.

Replaying old games (like "Bioshock Infinite") is a totally new videogame on an OLED, with the 240fps-at-240Hz LightBoost-quality motion with NO strobing needed; brute framerate-based motion blur reduction is the future.

Everyone knows I wish it was 1000fps 1000Hz hurry up already (ETA 2030?) but today, 240Hz OLEDs already have less motion blur than a non-strobed 360Hz LCD. That's big; the best strobeless blur reduction technology consumers can buy today for brute framerate-based motion blur reduction at near-zero GtG and the only blur seen is purely MPRT only.

Thanks to darn near zero GtG numbers, OLED's are virtually perfect followers of Blur Busters Law -- much more accurately than LCD.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Grasshopper24

Post by Grasshopper24 » 19 Jan 2023, 17:50

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
18 Jan 2023, 22:51
I've been hired to work on 240Hz OLEDs as of late, so I'll chime in a bit, as much as my NDAs allow me to do so.

My 240Hz OLED is a bit too bright at maximum brightness, so I adjust it down abit.

Now when gaming, I like the HDR-like feel of perfect blacks. It can be more fun gaming on a ~300-nit OLED with perfect blacks (in a dark room) than a ~600+-nit LCD with grey blacks. The black reference amplifies the brightness feel of the brights when you're gaming indoors without sun shining in a window. LCD is superior if you've got a glass house obviously, but I can confirm these new LG OLEDs is too bright for my eyes when I'm just Visual Studioing at night.

Also, download "Better ClearType Tuner" app to make text look MUCH better on these new OLEDs. Tweak according to preference.

I've always run desktop LCDs at 30% brightness when doing computer text, so that's well within the OLED brightness range. When I am gaming, I like a brighter profile for the HDR-like behaviors.

Replaying old games (like "Bioshock Infinite") is a totally new videogame on an OLED, with the 240fps-at-240Hz LightBoost-quality motion with NO strobing needed; brute framerate-based motion blur reduction is the future.

Everyone knows I wish it was 1000fps 1000Hz hurry up already (ETA 2030?) but today, 240Hz OLEDs already have less motion blur than a non-strobed 360Hz LCD. That's big; the best strobeless blur reduction technology consumers can buy today for brute framerate-based motion blur reduction at near-zero GtG and the only blur seen is purely MPRT only.

Thanks to darn near zero GtG numbers, OLED's are virtually perfect followers of Blur Busters Law -- much more accurately than LCD.
Thank you for the response chief, the info you provided makes this LG monitor very intriguing. My only hesitation when it comes to OLED for desktop use is the burn in risk, for which there seem to be preventative measures available.

This seems like a great do it all monitor. I work from home so I spend about 6 hours a day in different softwares and microsoft excel/Visio + couple hours of gaming so static elements are usually always on my screens. For this reason I’m leaning toward just having 2 displays - 1 mainly for productivity/single player games and another smaller 1080p high refresh for fps games.

However this OLED and the upcoming ASUS OLED are really interesting and seem like they can function as a do it all display. Looking forward to seeing reviews with testing as well as user experiences with this panel in the upcoming months.

Alpha

Post by Alpha » 19 Jan 2023, 22:07

It feels like LG rushed this. Its an amazing display but would have been better with a glossy screen. I had to remove all 4k TV resolution options in CTA-86 Block in CRU otherwise a lot of fullscreen exclusive games would force 3840 x 2160. Super annoying but that fixed it. They have to have a 4k 240hz hitting this year.

Pic quality is as expected though it does't have the pop as my other OLEDs. I can't visually see any ghosting. The depth of the image with this technology just blows me away every time I look at one. Gaming is legit. Shatterline, Fortnite, Siege, MW2/Warzone 2.0 are a few I tested. Fortnite colors... shessshhh. Every game I played felt locked in. Extremely responsive. I have quite a few monitors one of the fastest being the Omen x25F I need to run a few games so its fresh and then compare to this one but with out doing fresh side by sides, this is the fastest and best looking monitor I have ever owned or used.

I'll end up grabbing a 4k 240hz when they hit with a glossy screen though. This will work until it does!

I can't attach a mov file but try this image,
IMG_0987.JPG
IMG_0987.JPG (170.78 KiB) Viewed 8672 times
IMG_0988.JPG
IMG_0988.JPG (159.63 KiB) Viewed 8672 times
My PC's are behind me and you get an idea of the finish since that is an LED bar showing the purple in the reflection.

Update, motion clarity definitely exceeds my 360hz IPS pretty easily to my eyes.

shoto1699

Post by shoto1699 » 20 Jan 2023, 16:18

Grasshopper24 wrote:
18 Jan 2023, 14:39
Kotoko wrote:
18 Jan 2023, 06:53
shoto1699 wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 20:48
Anyone else get their monitor today? Still trying to figure out what settings to use for this
I just got mine yesterday. So far turning off energy saving mode and vrr is what I did. Left others at default. Using gamer mode 1
I know it’s early but how do you like the display? How’s the picture quality/brightness during gaming use compared to LCD displays?
I like it a lot so far. Was about to return it due to the weird text, but found the fixes for that. It's pretty bright for me but I'm still waiting for proper settings.

That said what black level setting should this be set to? I have it at low but black stabilizer at 60. Game mode 1, warm for color temp, gamma 2, sharpness 50, contrast 70, brightness 100.

PapaJuan

Post by PapaJuan » 20 Jan 2023, 16:30

Now that we are getting results in, how does this monitor compare to the XL2566k with DYAC enabled?

At a game getting 360 frames+, I'm assuming the zowie would look clearer. I have heard the LG looks clearer then non-strobbed 360htz monitor because of the extremally low GTG.

But if you were only getting 240 frames in a game, wouldn't the LG looked clearer?

Basically, I'm trying to figure out which monitor is better from on a motion clarity/motion blur perspective. Any input for or against either monitor would be appreciated. Also, if any of you have both, I would love to hear which you prefer for what and why.

daviddave1

Post by daviddave1 » 20 Jan 2023, 18:27

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
18 Jan 2023, 22:51

Compared to a Zowie XL2546K/ XL2566K do u think the new LG 240hz OLED is a little on the dimmer side in games like Apex, Warzone etc? ( with HDR on, win 11, hdr calibration, eco setting off etc)
| Now: ASUS PG248QP 540Hz. | Past : VG259QM with the Qisda panel/PG27AQN/XL2566K

LordGurciullo

Post by LordGurciullo » 21 Jan 2023, 09:06

I am doing testing and will have a review out shortly on Zorz Gaming (youtube.com/@zorzgaming)

I can confirm that the 240hz oled lg motion blur is better than a 360 non strobed. However a 240 dyac is still significantly better.
People seem to be getting response time confused with motion blur. They aren't the same. I'm a bit disappointed because with a dyac feature implemented onto this it would be unstoppable. Although you also have the input lag situation which I'm feeling is around 4-6.5 ms.

daviddave1

Post by daviddave1 » 21 Jan 2023, 09:17

LordGurciullo wrote:
21 Jan 2023, 09:06
I am doing testing and will have a review out shortly on Zorz Gaming (youtube.com/@zorzgaming)

I can confirm that the 240hz oled lg motion blur is better than a 360 non strobed. However a 240 dyac is still significantly better.
People seem to be getting response time confused with motion blur. They aren't the same. I'm a bit disappointed because with a dyac feature implemented onto this it would be unstoppable. Although you also have the input lag situation which I'm feeling is around 4-6.5 ms.

Compared to a Zowie XL2546K/ XL2566K do u think the new LG 240hz OLED is a little on the dimmer side in games like Apex, Warzone etc? ( with HDR on, win 11, hdr calibration, eco setting off etc)
| Now: ASUS PG248QP 540Hz. | Past : VG259QM with the Qisda panel/PG27AQN/XL2566K

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Jan 2023, 14:10

Alpha wrote:
19 Jan 2023, 22:07
I can't attach a mov file but try this image,
IMG_0987.JPG
IMG_0988.JPG
These test results don't have "camera tracking proof" attached -- please only use a sync track when posting these images. Can you please video-film www.testufo.com/ghosting instead.

Thank you forum members for posting smartphone pursuit images, but please include a photograph of the sync track as hand-tracking-accuracy proof which means video-recording www.testufo.com/ghosting instead of www.testufo.com ....

If you're curious why we ask forum members to include a photographed sync track in their photographs, read Smartphone Hand Wave Pursuit Camera. The sync track tells other people how valid/invalid the freeze frames are by how accurate looking the sync track is.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!