LG 27" 1440p 240hz OLED Ultragear 27GR95QE

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
Dalek

Re: LG 27" 1440p 240hz OLED Ultragear 27GR95QE

Post by Dalek » 23 Nov 2022, 17:43

Talk about ending the year on a high! "Pre-order starts December 12th. Estimated date for shipping is December 28th. Sign up to be notified of a special pre-order offer."

speancer

Post by speancer » 25 Nov 2022, 09:58

So, it's actually happening! Curious about burn-in issues with this one though. Considering that a display like this is mainly focused on FPS players who desire the best motion clarity, and considering that most FPS games have static interfaces... and players spend hundreds and thousands of hours playing their favourite competitive titles (like I once did), wonder how long would it take for the HUD to... stay on the screen forever ;) I use LG C2 42" OLED as a PC monitor myself, but I don't play competitive titles anymore. My main focus are movies, AAA games and the highest picture quality possible now. Still, curious about 27GR95QE performance, will surely see some tests.
Main display (TV/PC monitor): LG 42C21LA (4K 120 Hz OLED / WBE panel)
Tested displays: ASUS VG259QM/VG279QM [favourite LCD FPS display] (280 Hz IPS) • Zowie XL2546K/XL2540K/XL2546 (240 Hz TN DyAc) • Dell S3222DGM [favourite LCD display for the best blacks, contrast and panel uniformity] (165 Hz VA) • Dell Alienware AW2521HFLA (240 Hz IPS) • HP Omen X 25f (240 Hz TN) • MSI MAG251RX (240 Hz IPS) • Gigabyte M27Q (170 Hz IPS) • Acer Predator XB273X (240 Hz IPS G-SYNC) • Acer Predator XB271HU (165 Hz IPS G-SYNC) • Acer Nitro XV272UKV (170 Hz IPS) • Acer Nitro XV252QF (390 Hz IPS) • LG 27GN800 (144 Hz IPS) • LG 27GL850 (144 Hz nanoIPS) • LG 27GP850 (180 Hz nanoIPS) • Samsung Odyssey G7 (240 Hz VA)

OS: Windows 11 Pro GPU: Palit GeForce RTX 4090 GameRock OC CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D + be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 + Arctic MX-6 RAM: 32GB (2x16GB dual channel) DDR5 Kingston Fury Beast Black 6000 MHz CL30 (fully optimized primary and secondary timings by Buildzoid for SK Hynix die on AM5 platform) PSU: Corsair RM1200x SHIFT 1200W (ATX 3.0, PCIe 5.0 12VHPWR 600W) SSD1: Kingston KC3000 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 x4 SSD2: Corsair Force MP510 960GB PCIe 3.0 x4 MB: ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A GAMING WIFI (GPU PCIe 5.0 x16, NVMe PCIe 5.0 x4) CASE: be quiet! Silent Base 802 Window White CASE FANS: be quiet! Silent Wings 4 140mm PWM (3x front, 1x rear, 1x top rear, positive pressure) MOUSE: Logitech G PRO X Superlight (white) Lightspeed wireless MOUSEPAD: ARTISAN FX HIEN (wine red, soft, XL) KEYBOARD: Logitech G915 TKL (white, GL Tactile) Lightspeed wireless HEADPHONES: Sennheiser Momentum 4 Wireless (white) 24-bit 96 KHz + Sennheiser BTD600 Bluetooth 5.2 aptX Adaptive CHAIR: Herman Miller Aeron (graphite, fully loaded, size C)

Futuretech

Post by Futuretech » 25 Nov 2022, 16:25

speancer wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 09:58
So, it's actually happening! Curious about burn-in issues with this one though. Considering that a display like this is mainly focused on FPS players who desire the best motion clarity, and considering that most FPS games have static interfaces... and players spend hundreds and thousands of hours playing their favourite competitive titles (like I once did), wonder how long would it take for the HUD to... stay on the screen forever ;) I use LG C2 42" OLED as a PC monitor myself, but I don't play competitive titles anymore. My main focus are movies, AAA games and the highest picture quality possible now. Still, curious about 27GR95QE performance, will surely see some tests.
From everything said there are two camps of people.

1. Those whom state nothing to worry about OLED is legit.

...or...

2. I barely use OLED in extreme ways I'm hyper scared to use it so I do everything in my power to minimize it's use.

In reality people hate being beta testers. Unfortunately we have to kinda play the beta test. It's going to happen less with MicroLED which is the next one in line coming up fight OLED vs MicroLED.

But we are kinda beta or perhaps almost GOLD release. Frankly OLED even with patent hell that it has has experienced a huge surge of evolution these past few years. I'm sure Mr.Rehjon can explain much of this especially a historical person who categorizes history and understands as George Orwell states:

"He who controls the past commands the future, he who controls the future commands the present".

The school of thought is "Who cares use it" or "OMG be ultra careful".

LCDs suffered the same way hell we had LCDs since the early-mid 70s with contrast ratios as low as 100:1 for the first LCD CRT looking TVs.

And now LCD is still a beast no one bothers with burn in. In fact for LCD the biggest issue is stuck or dead pixels. OLED is popping out of that phase.

In the end the monitor or TV this electron-luminescent technology is meant to be used, enjoyed, and it seems like developers are crashing OLED on all fronts. I'm seeing prices of OLED at record low even places like Guru3D, [H]ardOCP, OCN etc.etc. these big baller tech sites salivating over OLED there is some hesitation but most are like WOW nearly a grand for OLED we thought it would be 2-3-4 thousand dollars for people.

Like I said to Dalek be glad that it's coming in on the cheaper end than on the expensive end. I'm not denying 1K isn't expensive it's just if you think about it if you were to practice some money saving actions you can make it.

Unfortunately like I said it seems we are near-Gold tester we are semi-beta/mostly gold. I still think giving OLED a solid two to three years circa mid-2020s we can then pump up the OLED material and improve MBTF level.

So those are the main sides. There is no middle ground except a few who go I can't be guarding my monitor for the rest of my life like this but I CAN do some smart techniques to extend the life of the monitor but not too much I'm not OCD maniac.

It's like SSDs(Solid-State Drives), even Rosonovich from Microsoft was like back in 2009 if the Jmicron, Intel, Sandforce and even now who knows. Twice a year once every 6 months defragment your SSD to restore the speeds. Because the issue with SSD isn't data fragmentation on the drive for defragging no. It's software defragmentation so the SOFTware not the hardware requires defragmentation.

Again some people got screwed and now as backblaze puts it many SSD now a days are killing the HDD industry with better longevity. We still need HDDs for longterm archival but SSDs pretty soon are going to start become more advanced. I mean we release this SSD and it breaks through the barrier of speed and requires a higher PCIe level.

Think of it like that. OLED = SSD circa 2010-2011-2012 when the good ones came out like Plextor for example OCN's review on it.

Since now they are coming with higher refresh rate good this low RR bandwagon is being stopped and LCDs helped push the higher refresh rate like Nvidia, Samsung, and Viewsonic circa 10 years ago.

Again think of this as a step in the right direction. I'm all for OLED but I'd also like to see MicroLED especially with CBB(Mr.Rehjon's) theorycrafting/brainstorming of what monitors should be doing like emulated display actions like a Plasma Display Mode or Sample and Hold reading mode or CRT mode or LCD emulation.

I think for you it be great. Not pushing you to buy it just saying check it up at a higher level on the list.

Also don't forgot MMORPGs suffer a lot of static imagery so don't forget that. For MMO community these monitors represent a great visual eye candy especially with all the spells and lack of blur. Sure MMOs are slower but some hate the blur turning on a fast way to see your enemy. Sure MMOs are slower but the betterment of imagery is why people play them artistic attraction.

speancer

Post by speancer » 26 Nov 2022, 09:08

Futuretech wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 16:25
In my opinion OLED is already good enough. I dare to say - once OLED, always OLED. This technology is SO superior over any LCD I've seen, it's just magical. Also we already have burn-in protection policies under warranty as well. I don't really fear about burn-in too much on my LG C2. I use relatively low brightness (just 15-25%) during my desktop use (with many static elements). I switch to 90-100% brightness (especially in HDR) for any other use case (movies, games).

I've been wondering for a long time now, why nobody makes high refresh rate OLED monitors, since OLED superiority in response time makes it a great tech for motion performance. The only thing I had in mind that possibly prevented companies from making such displays was burn-in indeed. But I know people who used OLED TVs as PC monitors for months, even years, working with static elements, and having no burn-in issues, or issues that were easily fixed by pixel refresh function.

It's great to see LG takes another step forward with OLED tech and makes such a monitor. I'd assume many people have been waiting for it. I'm also quite surprised there's rather just moderate interest about it here, judging from numer of posts, although view count would suggest otherwise, I guess. High refresh rate OLED gaming monitor could possibly be a holy grail of motion performance, could it not?
Main display (TV/PC monitor): LG 42C21LA (4K 120 Hz OLED / WBE panel)
Tested displays: ASUS VG259QM/VG279QM [favourite LCD FPS display] (280 Hz IPS) • Zowie XL2546K/XL2540K/XL2546 (240 Hz TN DyAc) • Dell S3222DGM [favourite LCD display for the best blacks, contrast and panel uniformity] (165 Hz VA) • Dell Alienware AW2521HFLA (240 Hz IPS) • HP Omen X 25f (240 Hz TN) • MSI MAG251RX (240 Hz IPS) • Gigabyte M27Q (170 Hz IPS) • Acer Predator XB273X (240 Hz IPS G-SYNC) • Acer Predator XB271HU (165 Hz IPS G-SYNC) • Acer Nitro XV272UKV (170 Hz IPS) • Acer Nitro XV252QF (390 Hz IPS) • LG 27GN800 (144 Hz IPS) • LG 27GL850 (144 Hz nanoIPS) • LG 27GP850 (180 Hz nanoIPS) • Samsung Odyssey G7 (240 Hz VA)

OS: Windows 11 Pro GPU: Palit GeForce RTX 4090 GameRock OC CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D + be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 + Arctic MX-6 RAM: 32GB (2x16GB dual channel) DDR5 Kingston Fury Beast Black 6000 MHz CL30 (fully optimized primary and secondary timings by Buildzoid for SK Hynix die on AM5 platform) PSU: Corsair RM1200x SHIFT 1200W (ATX 3.0, PCIe 5.0 12VHPWR 600W) SSD1: Kingston KC3000 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 x4 SSD2: Corsair Force MP510 960GB PCIe 3.0 x4 MB: ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A GAMING WIFI (GPU PCIe 5.0 x16, NVMe PCIe 5.0 x4) CASE: be quiet! Silent Base 802 Window White CASE FANS: be quiet! Silent Wings 4 140mm PWM (3x front, 1x rear, 1x top rear, positive pressure) MOUSE: Logitech G PRO X Superlight (white) Lightspeed wireless MOUSEPAD: ARTISAN FX HIEN (wine red, soft, XL) KEYBOARD: Logitech G915 TKL (white, GL Tactile) Lightspeed wireless HEADPHONES: Sennheiser Momentum 4 Wireless (white) 24-bit 96 KHz + Sennheiser BTD600 Bluetooth 5.2 aptX Adaptive CHAIR: Herman Miller Aeron (graphite, fully loaded, size C)

NDUS

Post by NDUS » 27 Nov 2022, 09:06

$1000 is a really rough price point for something that will undoubtedly get burn-in within 3-6mos of you using it the way it's intended (on competitive FPS) - thanks to static UI elements. It's almost a consumable item. Unless you *exclusively* use it for competitive FPS, and do nothing else with it (in which case burn-in probably won't bother you.) But for that purpose, why this over 360hz/500hz TN? If it's struggling in pursuit tests against 360hz IPS, 360hz TN will annihilate it.

IMO they positioned this monitor incorrectly, it should have been higher refresh rate and 1080p. Make it fast enough that it is the definitive pure competitive FPS monitor. Because that's the only scenario where WOLED burn-in is not a dealbreaker.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Nov 2022, 12:11

NDUS wrote:
27 Nov 2022, 09:06
$1000 is a really rough price point for something that will undoubtedly get burn-in within 3-6mos of you using it the way it's intended (on competitive FPS) - thanks to static UI elements.
I think this is an overexaggeration.

There's been way too much kilowatt-amplified chicken-little squealing on this. (Instead of chicken-little, more like a cacophony of parrots doing chinese whispers based on older burn-in-sensitive panels).

Remember, LG is a WOLED, which is generally more resistant to burn in than RGB OLED. Also, if you dim OLED by 50%, the 1-year estimate can become a 4-year estimate. Some OLED panel formulations are now finally more resistant to burn in than CRT was, they are constantly researching on this.

Also, there are pixel orbiting features on upcoming OLEDs that will balance out the static-element image retention a little. Also, many OLEDs have pixel maintainer logic to balance out some image retention. There are two types of image retention to worry about, the temporary kind (similar to LCD), and the more permanent kind (real burn-in).

Little known to many, LCDs can also go through wear/tear, e.g. backlight dimming, and LCD GtG speed changes over its lifetime. A heavily used LCD monitor at high brightness can lose half of its maximum brightness in a few years.

I love the upcoming 240Hz OLEDs, given they have less motion blur than 360Hz LCDs -- brute framerate-based motion blur reduction looks fantastic on OLEDs if you dislike strobing.

Both LCD and OLED has their attributes, but the OLED burn in issues have fallen significantly, and OLED attributes risen significantly, as long as you do some best practices. The OLED burn in after 3 years can less visible than the splotchiness of many LCD 5% gray field -- it is easy to tolerate that, given the LCD cons too. The pros now outweighs the cons, even through the multiple years of OLED monitor ownership.

My current biggest worry is OLED lag (+1 refresh cycle time versus LCD), but they're working on that. Brute Hz helps a lot (240Hz = 4ms). You also have to compare it against the lag LCD strobe backlight too, since non-strobed 240Hz OLED is almost as clear as strobed LightBoost 10 years ago. And the non-strobed motion clarity is able to compete with a 500Hz IPS LCD, while only needing 240fps to achieve said clarity via brute framerate-based motion blur reduction (rather than strobe-backlight blur reduction).

The first 240Hz panels may not be fully appreciated by esports audience until it's realtime-scanout, but what my eyes have seen lately, OLED is going to make a very strong true entry into the general gaming monitor market in 2023 given the excellent of general-purpose use (PhotoShop, software development in Dark Mode, browsing, gaming, HDR, videos, etc). On these use Dark Mode, don't go max brightness, use taskbar autohide, use dark wallpaper or wallpaper slideshow, etc.

Thousands of us have pioneered PC use with LG OLED TVs for years.

No burn in on recent LG OLED TV for 3 years of nonstop Visual Studio use.

Just avoid the super-burnin-sensitive older panels such as C6.

Don't use RTINGS burn-in-tester settings, and stick to C9 or newer, and do proper hygeine.

Simple settings can slow down OLED burn by over 100x -- it's a logarithmic curve. Halving OLED brightness added an order of magnitude to burnin time, on certain panels.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Zebedee

Post by Zebedee » 30 Nov 2022, 05:02

Is there a reason why strobing isn't being implemented on oled monitors? I'd be very keen on a 27" 240hz oled with stobing.

LordGurciullo

Post by LordGurciullo » 01 Dec 2022, 07:51

I also want to know. I have a 32 inch G7 samsung with the mbr always on and while its not as good reduction as a dyac its still good...

Will this 27 inch 240hz oled be better or wrose than a 240 dyac or a 240 samsung g7 mbr?

Why didn't they include it? I Just want a 240hz 32 inch crt goddamit! (ill settle for 27 if I have to )

amezibra

Post by amezibra » 03 Dec 2022, 18:09

Because oled is self emitting hence if the actual pixel could go on and off fast enough it would need a 580hz panel to maintain 240hz like feeling.

TN and IPS mbr have backlight that is decoupled from pixel refresh rate performance, hence they can have dyac and the like..

That’s how i understand it.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 04 Dec 2022, 05:50

OLED rise/fall times are indeed slightly slower than LCD backlight off/on time which will be problematic when they reach very high refresh rates. But that's not the reason why we don't see blur reduction on this LG OLED.

I believe main reason is low demand for these type of features. It might seem everybody likes it here on Blur Busters Forums but we are minority, majority is very likely not interested. At the same time flicker can do serious damage to eyes. In general we should push 1000+Hz/fps stobeless blur reduction instead because its kills two birds with one stone, multiple birds actually.

Another reason is poor brightness. People are complaining about strobed brightness even on brighter LCDs, let alone OLEDs. However some of us don't mind low brightness.

Also you can't use VRR with blur reduction on OLEDs. Due to instant response times even slight frame drops will look worse than on LCDs. So it requires much stricter frame rate control (Hz=FPS). Big issue...

But they should of included it. At least it would sell a little better.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup