ULMB 2 Released

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
Rakki

Re: ULMB 2 Released

Post by Rakki » 29 May 2023, 15:48

Acer Firmware still not showing up :roll:

daviddave1

Post by daviddave1 » 29 May 2023, 15:50

PapaJuan wrote:
29 May 2023, 12:28
phpBB [video]

Ok now I am tempted to swap my XL2566K for a PG27AQN.

Also, if anyone has this monitor, would you mind posting some new UFO tests?
If u make the switch can u let us know please how the AQN is compared to the XL25566K?
| Now: ASUS PG248QP 540Hz. | Past : VG259QM with the Qisda panel/PG27AQN/XL2566K

Rakki

Post by Rakki » 29 May 2023, 15:59

No Firmware released yet on Acer. Hopefully it releases today

Stevie66

Post by Stevie66 » 29 May 2023, 16:23

Screen tearing aside, would ULMB 2 be better than DyAc+ in a game where your fps is fluctuating from 160-260 fps? Or is the motion clarity only the best at 360hz on the Asus?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 May 2023, 17:24

Stevie66 wrote:
29 May 2023, 16:23
Screen tearing aside, would ULMB 2 be better than DyAc+ in a game where your fps is fluctuating from 160-260 fps? Or is the motion clarity only the best at 360hz on the Asus?
ULMB2 and DyAc+ has similar strobe-amplified microstutter mechanics, although there might be slightly fewer double-images with ULMB2 thanks to standing-ovation steller max-Hz strobe tuning.

Although Blur Busters Approved is good for flexibility (XG2431 can strobe 59-241Hz in literally 0.001Hz increments), I haven't seen an IPS be strobed max-Hz as well as NVIDIA successfully did ULMB2 with, thanks to its shockingly clever overdrive algorithms, which I've written about in my article.

The strobe crosstalk double images will be reduced, but the framerate-based double images won't. You'll still get duplicate images doing lower frame rates than strobe rate, that's sadly a law of physics. Duplicate images from low frame rates are full-strength duplicates (as strong duplicate image as original strobe), unlike strobe-crosstalk double images (faint remnants of incomplete LCD GtG)

That said, if your priority is great max-Hz strobing, ULMB2 is now among the best strobe technologies I've seen. That being said, refresh rate headroom is preferred for crosstalk-free purists, 100Hz Blur Busters Approved (with QFT trick via large vertical total, www.blurbusters.com/xg2431) still has less strobe crosstalk than 360Hz ULMB2. But if your priority is best quality at max Hz, it's hard to beat NVIDIA's engineering overkill on stupendously advanced overdrive algorithms. Fixing the last 10% of overdrive artifacts costs 100x more than the first 90%, and many independent manufacturers, alas, won't be able to match that.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

bumbeen

Post by bumbeen » 29 May 2023, 18:08

Stevie66 wrote:
strobing with fps below refresh rate seems to suck hard imo. it looks like stuttering and is terrible. if Asus would fix ELMB Sync on XG27AQMR/XG27AQM then that would be better since you can use gsync simultaneously with it

Stevie66

Post by Stevie66 » 29 May 2023, 19:09

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
29 May 2023, 17:24
Stevie66 wrote:
ULMB2 and DyAc+ has similar strobe-amplified microstutter mechanics, although there might be slightly fewer double-images with ULMB2 thanks to standing-ovation steller max-Hz strobe tuning.

Although Blur Busters Approved is good for flexibility (XG2431 can strobe 59-241Hz in literally 0.001Hz increments), I haven't seen an IPS be strobed max-Hz as well as NVIDIA successfully did ULMB2 with, thanks to its shockingly clever overdrive algorithms, which I've written about in my article.

The strobe crosstalk double images will be reduced, but the framerate-based double images won't. You'll still get duplicate images doing lower frame rates than strobe rate, that's sadly a law of physics. Duplicate images from low frame rates are full-strength duplicates (as strong duplicate image as original strobe), unlike strobe-crosstalk double images (faint remnants of incomplete LCD GtG)

That said, if your priority is great max-Hz strobing, ULMB2 is now among the best strobe technologies I've seen. That being said, refresh rate headroom is preferred for crosstalk-free purists, 100Hz Blur Busters Approved (with QFT trick via large vertical total, www.blurbusters.com/xg2431) still has less strobe crosstalk than 360Hz ULMB2. But if your priority is best quality at max Hz, it's hard to beat NVIDIA's engineering overkill on stupendously advanced overdrive algorithms. Fixing the last 10% of overdrive artifacts costs 100x more than the first 90%, and many independent manufacturers, alas, won't be able to match that.
Thanks, I guess ULMB 2 isn't for me then as most of my games fluctuate in fps. I do have the 280hz Asus I suppose I can limit the fps in NCP to what my average fps is in game then use ELMB Sync?
bumbeen wrote:
29 May 2023, 18:08
Stevie66 wrote:
strobing with fps below refresh rate seems to suck hard imo. it looks like stuttering and is terrible. if Asus would fix ELMB Sync on XG27AQMR/XG27AQM then that would be better since you can use gsync simultaneously with it
I have ELMB Sync on my 280hz Asus, but never messed around with it limiting my fps in the Nvidia panel maybe I should try it out

hart

Post by hart » 29 May 2023, 20:21

as this in theory is not a driver level but monitor level, should even work with radeon devices, making the choice of a monitor with gsync obvious even if you don't have a nvidia card isn't it?

GammaLyrae

Post by GammaLyrae » 29 May 2023, 20:49

hart wrote:
29 May 2023, 20:21
as this in theory is not a driver level but monitor level, should even work with radeon devices, making the choice of a monitor with gsync obvious even if you don't have a nvidia card isn't it?
Historically, the G-Sync module specific "ULMB" method of BFI has required an Nvidia card to activate. As this monitor has "G-Sync Ultimate" branding, according to Nvidia's webpages, this means the monitor has a G-Sync module built in and probably wont be able to activate VRR or ULMB without an Nvidia graphics card and compatible drivers installed.

Would be really interesting to see a proper bench using testufo patterns. No one else that reviews strobe quality has used Overwatch in their reviews and nothing in the tests he did would let you validate that the camera movement / shutter speed was correct either.

bumbeen

Post by bumbeen » 29 May 2023, 20:54

Seems like using the driver ULMB activation breaks things. It will go automatically from gsync to ULMB if you have it on the game profile. But if you alt tab it then jumps to fixed refresh. After that point I’m not able to turn ULMB back on without rebooting my PC.

Hmm actually a reboot didn’t even fix it. I cannot get the monitor to work at all now and get a flashing amber light when the PC is off and a green LED with the PC on but just a black screen with strobing backlight. I don’t even get OSD.

I had to pull power cable from the monitor to get it to come back.