Gigabyte M27Q-X Rev. 2.0 Coming in October - 240Hz, 1440P, RGB... hopefully not KSF?

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
Ozzuneoj

Re: Gigabyte M27Q-X Rev. 2.0 Coming in October - 240Hz, 1440P, RGB... hopefully not KSF?

Post by Ozzuneoj » 28 Aug 2023, 10:07

Sirius wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 07:56
Ozzuneoj wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 14:26
Whelp... I made an impulse purchase.
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/ ... g_monitor/

Brand new 27GR83Q-B LG UltraGear 27" 240Hz 1440P IPS. Normally $500, but after coupon and multiple layers of cash back it will only be $250!

Even if I use it for a little while and I'm not happy with the investment I can easily flip this for more than I paid.

I don't expect perfect strobing modes by any means... but for the price this was a no brainer. 240Hz 1440P IPS will be such a huge improvement for desktop usage... I have a feeling I may not even need blur reduction at 240Hz to get decent text clarity when scrolling web pages (something I have grown to appreciate doing with my BenQ).
I never liked LG panels unfortunately, their OSD also not very practical.

I hope it will satisfy you!
On the other hand at this price it's very good but I never buy on the brand sites directly, because if I am not satisfied I am good to pay the return.

Could you do some UFO tests with the different overdrives when you receive it?
Even though I said to myself not to test Nano-IPS panels anymore, I'm still curious

Edit : I was mistaken, the monitor you mentionned doesn't have LG panel but BOE ! ( that's interesting ! )

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/ab453468
I just saw your edit, and I was going to mention this! I don't know if the panel type has been 100% confirmed for this model. DisplaySpecs says that the 27GR83Q (what I bought) has a specific BOE panel, but there is zero information out there about this model so I have no idea how they found this out unless they were able to coax the information out of LG somehow. The 32GR93U is said to have a BOE panel of some kind in this Monitors Unboxed review though. That review also says that the 32GR93U does NOT have Motion Blur Reduction even though DisplaySpecs lists it. So, it is very likely that DisplaySpecs is not accurately listing the features and specs of such new displays... so we won't really know what the 27" 1440P model has until someone gets their hands on it.

I have to admit, I am having a bit of buyer's remorse already because I only found out after ordering that it does NOT say anywhere in official documentation that it has Blur Reduction, and it also does not swivel side to side (it seems rotate\pivot\swivel can be understood differently depending on brand).

Regarding Blur Reduction, I read one or two different press-release announcements for these monitors that this entire line up has the feature, and DisplaySpecs says all of them have it (again, 32 does NOT based on a professional review). So that is extremely frustrating. I will be very happy if it does actually have it, but I doubt it will. Most likely LG doesn't want to expend the resources to make strobing work when doing so will just cannibalize sales of their OLED models by providing better motion clarity for 1/3 the price. They have also removed or reduced Blur Reduction features on their OLED TVs over the past few generations as well, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I like to have Blur Reduction in most cases simply because I have gotten used to how clear everything looks on the desktop, in applications, games or videos. Remember, I used a very high end CRT off-and-on until 2015 when I got my BenQ and I have had Blur Reduction turned on 100% of the time since then. I also have some rather obscure interests that involve scouring ebay for very rare items of a specific type and I am so used to doing it that I can scroll through pages very fast and stop on the ones that are worth looking at. I don't know if 240Hz refresh alone will be enough to give good enough clarity for this, but it will probably be okay. Having more resolution, better colors and more consistent viewing angles at the edges, AND having no strobe cross talk will probably all help in other ways. I know motion won't be as razor sharp as with my BenQ though unless the display has Blur Reduction.

*sigh*

I did just remember how terrible non-strobed displays look when running 2D games (retro or modern) that have scrolling backgrounds. Oy. Stupid LG. It is super frustrating because as shown here, LG had decent Blur Reduction on a 240Hz display FIVE YEARS AGO.

I am somewhat tempted to cancel my order since it hasn't shipped yet... but... the price was so low and I really need to just try something different after all these years.

Sirius

Re: Gigabyte M27Q-X Rev. 2.0 Coming in October - 240Hz, 1440P, RGB... hopefully not KSF?

Post by Sirius » 28 Aug 2023, 14:44

Ozzuneoj wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 10:07
I just saw your edit, and I was going to mention this! I don't know if the panel type has been 100% confirmed for this model. DisplaySpecs says that the 27GR83Q (what I bought) has a specific BOE panel, but there is zero information out there about this model so I have no idea how they found this out unless they were able to coax the information out of LG somehow. The 32GR93U is said to have a BOE panel of some kind in this Monitors Unboxed review though. That review also says that the 32GR93U does NOT have Motion Blur Reduction even though DisplaySpecs lists it. So, it is very likely that DisplaySpecs is not accurately listing the features and specs of such new displays... so we won't really know what the 27" 1440P model has until someone gets their hands on it.

I have to admit, I am having a bit of buyer's remorse already because I only found out after ordering that it does NOT say anywhere in official documentation that it has Blur Reduction, and it also does not swivel side to side (it seems rotate\pivot\swivel can be understood differently depending on brand).

Regarding Blur Reduction, I read one or two different press-release announcements for these monitors that this entire line up has the feature, and DisplaySpecs says all of them have it (again, 32 does NOT based on a professional review). So that is extremely frustrating. I will be very happy if it does actually have it, but I doubt it will. Most likely LG doesn't want to expend the resources to make strobing work when doing so will just cannibalize sales of their OLED models by providing better motion clarity for 1/3 the price. They have also removed or reduced Blur Reduction features on their OLED TVs over the past few generations as well, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I like to have Blur Reduction in most cases simply because I have gotten used to how clear everything looks on the desktop, in applications, games or videos. Remember, I used a very high end CRT off-and-on until 2015 when I got my BenQ and I have had Blur Reduction turned on 100% of the time since then. I also have some rather obscure interests that involve scouring ebay for very rare items of a specific type and I am so used to doing it that I can scroll through pages very fast and stop on the ones that are worth looking at. I don't know if 240Hz refresh alone will be enough to give good enough clarity for this, but it will probably be okay. Having more resolution, better colors and more consistent viewing angles at the edges, AND having no strobe cross talk will probably all help in other ways. I know motion won't be as razor sharp as with my BenQ though unless the display has Blur Reduction.

*sigh*

I did just remember how terrible non-strobed displays look when running 2D games (retro or modern) that have scrolling backgrounds. Oy. Stupid LG. It is super frustrating because as shown here, LG had decent Blur Reduction on a 240Hz display FIVE YEARS AGO.

I am somewhat tempted to cancel my order since it hasn't shipped yet... but... the price was so low and I really need to just try something different after all these years.
You're going to pull your hair out but...I just entered the hidden menu of the Asus VG27AQML1A and it indicates the MV270QHM-NF6 panel....

be the same panel as the LG say on Display Specification, even if it's not the same revision, me at the end it's NF1 and the LG indicates NF6 but that means that it will be almost the same image, I am even if it will be the same.

And so you know what ? forget my previous comment where I said "I'm going to keep it for 1 month, I want to be more objective" that would be driving me crazy and wasting my time because in conclusion I agree with my first comment, this monitor is horrible, my friend has the same feeling, even my wife, the screen has a coating that is too grainy, the menu is laughable, ugly and not intuitive, the colorimetry as on Asus screens as usual is really bad, it's my last Asus screen, look at the number of Asus screens I had, only 1 or 2 were "meh" but none were super good
I officially add Asus to my screen brand that I avoid, after more than 4 years, I still haven't found an Asus that suited me, they always do the same thing and it tires me.

I'm coming back from the evening with a friend who is also a screen enthusiast, we spent hours on Aimlab (we only play FPS like Apex Legends, Overwatch but also MMOs like PSO2 and also rhythm games like Osu! and we do a lot of reading sessions on sites) in other words, we test the screens thoroughly!

and we really don't like this screen, I wouldn't even make a topic about it because I don't give a f*ck about this screen.

So I'm going to drop some pictures of UFO test etc (really, didn't take the time to make videos of it, sorry that's what I usually do but this one is really bad and waste my time)

Hidden menu, BOE panel:

OSD [french language, sorry] :

And if you remember this hilarious picture of the coating it's even worse
Left Asus, Right Acer

Picture of characters on Overwatch, the whites are too strong and the screen is a little too saturated, I don't like the rendering (regardless of some settings) be careful, this is only an example but it's not exactly like in reality :

UFO TEST [ Set to 240hz / OD 5 / ELMB OFF / SYNC OFF ] :

as you can see, really bad motion blur even with maximum overdrive, I didn't take the time to show the performances in ELMB/ELMB-SYNC so bad, dark, with a lot of crosstalk.

I hope that the Gigabyte will not use this panel otherwise I would not take it.

Besides, Display Specification as you say is maybe lying, on this Asus maybe there are two panels (I wouldn't be surprised, they often do that! the lottery !) because basically it has an AUO according to Display Specification but I had a BOE panel, in any case I don't like the screen, I'm sending it back in a few days, I've even already repacked it, that's to say, don't bother to test it, don't waste your time.

Next time I test 4K, fed up with the sh*tty LCD 1440p.

Edit : probably people will tell me "but you're crazy you need to test it in 260hz !" that's what I did but the input lag, ghosting etc was exactly the same so I tried in 240hz but it is the same, in the end, this one was really a useless test.
Current temporary test : XG2431 | Main monitor : actually nothing | I've had : 1080P : XL2546X / XL2566K / XL2546K / XL2546 / XL2540K / XL2746S / EX2510 / MAG251RX / NXG253R / MAG271CR / VG259QM / VG258QM / XG249CM / XG259CM / VG279QM / S2522HG / XG2431 / XG2405 / XG2702 / AW2518HF / AW2521HF / AW2720HF / 24G2U / Omen X 25 | 1440P : XV272UX / MAG274QRF-QD / 27GP850 / 27GN850 / AW2723DF / Omen X 27 / XG27AQM / XG27AQMR / S2721DGFA / Odyssey G7 / EX270QM / VG27AQML1A / XENEON 27QHD240 / XV272UKF / XV272UX 4K : U28G2XU2 / M32UC

Ozzuneoj

Post by Ozzuneoj » 28 Aug 2023, 16:08

Sirius wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 14:44

You're going to pull your hair out but...I just entered the hidden menu of the Asus VG27AQML1A and it indicates the MV270QHM-NF6 panel....

be the same panel as the LG say on Display Specification, even if it's not the same revision, me at the end it's NF1 and the LG indicates NF6 but that means that it will be almost the same image, I am even if it will be the same.
EDITED FOR CORRECTION---
Wait, yours is an ME270QHM not MV270QHM. So, I have no idea how similar these will actually be.

Also, according to Panelook, the ME is an "oxide TFT", where as the MV series are a-Si TFT. I don't know the visual difference between these, but it is something to note.

EDIT AGAIN: Oh boy... this a-Si vs Oxide explanation sounds pretty bad for the a-Si. :shock: Actually... the specs on Panelook may not be accurate. It looks like a-Si is a very old technology.

My order still hasn't actually shipped so I keep thinking of canceling it and just waiting, because I don't want to deal with any hassles if I just plain don't like it... then I remember again that it's $150 cheaper than the Asus we're talking about now.

Man, if I just knew the LG had a usable blur-reduction mode I would be excited to try it, not worried. It's just so unbelievably stupid that there are monitors coming out in 2023 that DON'T have a blur reduction feature. The technology exists, and tons of monitors have it, even cheaper ones... leaving it out is such a dumb decision.

I just wish someone had one of these and reviewed it before mine ships. :lol:

mfk233

Post by mfk233 » 28 Aug 2023, 17:43

I've seen some folks on reddit curious about the Asus vg27aqml1a.
Would be good to make a separate topic on it and move your findings there!

Could provide a lot of value!

I haven't had the chance to test the monitor out yet.
Its still sitting in a box.
I think matte coatings don't bother me too much so I'm curious to see what I will think of it vs my Gigabyte M27q.

Sirius

Post by Sirius » 30 Aug 2023, 09:04

Ozzuneoj wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 16:08
EDITED FOR CORRECTION---
Wait, yours is an ME270QHM not MV270QHM. So, I have no idea how similar these will actually be.

Also, according to Panelook, the ME is an "oxide TFT", where as the MV series are a-Si TFT. I don't know the visual difference between these, but it is something to note.

EDIT AGAIN: Oh boy... this a-Si vs Oxide explanation sounds pretty bad for the a-Si. :shock: Actually... the specs on Panelook may not be accurate. It looks like a-Si is a very old technology.

My order still hasn't actually shipped so I keep thinking of canceling it and just waiting, because I don't want to deal with any hassles if I just plain don't like it... then I remember again that it's $150 cheaper than the Asus we're talking about now.

Man, if I just knew the LG had a usable blur-reduction mode I would be excited to try it, not worried. It's just so unbelievably stupid that there are monitors coming out in 2023 that DON'T have a blur reduction feature. The technology exists, and tons of monitors have it, even cheaper ones... leaving it out is such a dumb decision.

I just wish someone had one of these and reviewed it before mine ships. :lol:
Oh my bad, sorry !

But I'm sure it will be similar... anyway, I can't provide more information about the Asus because is still 100% a waste of time and bad.

You seem to want strobing at all costs, I invite you to go find out about Crosstalk, your Zowie is one of the only ones to have good strobing without big crosstalk issue, it's better not to have strobing than to have a strobing that performs really badly and have a tons of crosstalk (like the majority of strobings in general)

but I understand you, I also want strobing, at least, I want to have the choice to have one or not.
Current temporary test : XG2431 | Main monitor : actually nothing | I've had : 1080P : XL2546X / XL2566K / XL2546K / XL2546 / XL2540K / XL2746S / EX2510 / MAG251RX / NXG253R / MAG271CR / VG259QM / VG258QM / XG249CM / XG259CM / VG279QM / S2522HG / XG2431 / XG2405 / XG2702 / AW2518HF / AW2521HF / AW2720HF / 24G2U / Omen X 25 | 1440P : XV272UX / MAG274QRF-QD / 27GP850 / 27GN850 / AW2723DF / Omen X 27 / XG27AQM / XG27AQMR / S2721DGFA / Odyssey G7 / EX270QM / VG27AQML1A / XENEON 27QHD240 / XV272UKF / XV272UX 4K : U28G2XU2 / M32UC

Sirius

Post by Sirius » 30 Aug 2023, 09:08

mfk233 wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 17:43
I've seen some folks on reddit curious about the Asus vg27aqml1a.
Would be good to make a separate topic on it and move your findings there!

Could provide a lot of value!

I haven't had the chance to test the monitor out yet.
Its still sitting in a box.
I think matte coatings don't bother me too much so I'm curious to see what I will think of it vs my Gigabyte M27q.
Yes because of the price, like i've had.

But I really invite you to reread my review quickly, it's not good, you're free to try it if you don't believe me or want to see for yourself but it's clearly a waste of time.

But why do you want me to make a topic just for that?

Honestly I would just repeat the same thing if i do, with the same images, if you want, share what I said on Reddit by taking the link to the post.

But you will always have people who will be satisfied even if it is bad.

Anyway thank you, have a good day.

Two "good" alternative : Acer XV272UX, MSI MAG274QRF-QD.

Ozzuneoj

Post by Ozzuneoj » 30 Aug 2023, 17:22

Sirius wrote:
30 Aug 2023, 09:04

Oh my bad, sorry !

But I'm sure it will be similar... anyway, I can't provide more information about the Asus because is still 100% a waste of time and bad.

You seem to want strobing at all costs, I invite you to go find out about Crosstalk, your Zowie is one of the only ones to have good strobing without big crosstalk issue, it's better not to have strobing than to have a strobing that performs really badly and have a tons of crosstalk (like the majority of strobings in general)

but I understand you, I also want strobing, at least, I want to have the choice to have one or not.
I am a big fan of strobing, simply because my main experience with it is with one of the best strobing implementations ever made (XL2720Z). Also, I am very familiar with strobe crosstalk. I have used the Blur Busters Strobe Utility since I bought my monitor 7+ years ago, and I even did the large vertical total tweaks with CRU for a while to lessen crosstalk even further. I have found in recent years that I would rather have less quirks (normal resolution\hz) vs less crosstalk (custom non-standard res via CRU), so I don't really go crazy with tweaking the stuff anymore, but I still have the Strobe Utility installed and I find that I actually just use THAT to increase or decrease my display brightness. If I want my display to be darker, why not just adjust the strobing so that I also get clearer motion? :D

Anyway, if LG ever ships my monitor I think it will be worth playing with a for a while, even without a strobed mode. It can be healthy (mentally\physically) to try totally different things sometimes, so rather than just saying "I cannot ever use a non-strobed display ever again.", I will simply give it a shot since there are going to be at least half a dozen HUGE improvements that have nothing to do with motion blur. If they outweigh the effects of motion blur, it will be an upgrade overall, and to have done so for under $250 these days is basically unheard of.

Someone actually put out a review of the LG 27" I ordered on a smaller youtube channel, and it seems excellent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEv895dnoVY

Sirius

Post by Sirius » 30 Aug 2023, 18:23

Ozzuneoj wrote:
30 Aug 2023, 17:22
I am a big fan of strobing, simply because my main experience with it is with one of the best strobing implementations ever made (XL2720Z). Also, I am very familiar with strobe crosstalk. I have used the Blur Busters Strobe Utility since I bought my monitor 7+ years ago, and I even did the large vertical total tweaks with CRU for a while to lessen crosstalk even further. I have found in recent years that I would rather have less quirks (normal resolution\hz) vs less crosstalk (custom non-standard res via CRU), so I don't really go crazy with tweaking the stuff anymore, but I still have the Strobe Utility installed and I find that I actually just use THAT to increase or decrease my display brightness. If I want my display to be darker, why not just adjust the strobing so that I also get clearer motion? :D

Anyway, if LG ever ships my monitor I think it will be worth playing with a for a while, even without a strobed mode. It can be healthy (mentally\physically) to try totally different things sometimes, so rather than just saying "I cannot ever use a non-strobed display ever again.", I will simply give it a shot since there are going to be at least half a dozen HUGE improvements that have nothing to do with motion blur. If they outweigh the effects of motion blur, it will be an upgrade overall, and to have done so for under $250 these days is basically unheard of.

Someone actually put out a review of the LG 27" I ordered on a smaller youtube channel, and it seems excellent.
That's simple, if you want a new monitor, with perfect strobe, go with XG2431, this is the only choice, but it's 1080p and 24inch, you only have this perfect crosstalk free by having a QFT 60/85/120hz resolution.
Check the discussion here : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12410

Perfect motion clarity without strobe ? > OLED.

But if you think you can get a monitor other than the XG2431 that will give you the same motion clarity as your BenQ, forget it.

I know it's subjective but once again, I find it hard to understand why you absolutely want perfect strobing, do you have any other criteria?

I'm nothing to judge you and I don't do it, but in 2023 (almost 2024) you don't have any other criteria apart from a 27-inch 1080p TN Strobing?, especially if you don't play FPS, there's a valid reason ?

I know you're used to it but 120hz = high input lag and not really smooth on certain games, in addition that you have a really mediocre PPI and in TN.

I'm waiting to see what you will think of your future 1440p, just for curiosity and what is your use?
Ozzuneoj wrote:
I don't really agree, at least, just for the refresh compliance and the performance in motion clarity part, it seems to be... just "ok"? and have only 56% refresh compliance is not terrible...I've seen some others do more than 60%.

Ozzuneoj

Post by Ozzuneoj » 30 Aug 2023, 18:46

Sirius wrote:
30 Aug 2023, 18:23
Ozzuneoj wrote:

That's simple, if you want a new monitor, with perfect strobe, go with XG2431, this is the only choice, but it's 1080p and 24inch, you only have this perfect crosstalk free by having a QFT 60/85/120hz resolution.
Check the discussion here : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12410

Perfect motion clarity without strobe ? > OLED.

But if you think you can get a monitor other than the XG2431 that will give you the same motion clarity as your BenQ, forget it.

I know it's subjective but once again, I find it hard to understand why you absolutely want perfect strobing, do you have any other criteria?

I'm nothing to judge you and I don't do it, but in 2023 (almost 2024) you don't have any other criteria apart from a 27-inch 1080p TN Strobing?, especially if you don't play FPS, there's a valid reason ?

I know you're used to it but 120hz = high input lag and not really smooth on certain games, in addition that you have a really mediocre PPI and in TN.

I'm waiting to see what you will think of your future 1440p, just for curiosity and what is your use?
Ozzuneoj wrote:
I don't really agree, at least, just for the refresh compliance and the performance in motion clarity part, it seems to be... just "ok"? and have only 56% refresh compliance is not terrible...I've seen some others do more than 60%.
I'm sorry, I feel like I've answered all of this in all of my recent posts and it takes a lot of time to keep explaining it, so you may just want to look through my post history a bit.

I'm not sure if you misunderstood something I said as trying to be argumentative (I wasn't trying to be), but I don't really think there's a need for you to 100% understand or agree with what I'm looking for in a display, as this is all just personal preference. Much like there are thousands upon thousands of people who are happily using monitors you have rated with a red X... we do not all like\want the same things.

I have been using CRTs for over 35 years now (I still do retro computing on them), so that has certainly impacted my display preferences. I appreciate anything that can make a modern display resemble a CRT... but there is more to that than motion clarity. I've been dealing with fairly low PPI and crappy viewing angles just to have motion clarity with this BenQ, so I'm willing to see how much better the LG 27" is in those other areas. Getting it for 1/2 the retail price is what made it worth trying for me.

Sirius

Post by Sirius » 30 Aug 2023, 19:00

Ozzuneoj wrote:
30 Aug 2023, 18:46
I'm sorry, I feel like I've answered all of this in all of my recent posts and it takes a lot of time to keep explaining it, so you may just want to look through my post history a bit.

I'm not sure if you misunderstood something I said as trying to be argumentative (I wasn't trying to be), but I don't really think there's a need for you to 100% understand or agree with what I'm looking for in a display, as this is all just personal preference. Much like there are thousands upon thousands of people who are happily using monitors you have rated with a red X... we do not all like\want the same things.

I have been using CRTs for over 35 years now (I still do retro computing on them), so that has certainly impacted my display preferences. I appreciate anything that can make a modern display resemble a CRT... but there is more to that than motion clarity. I've been dealing with fairly low PPI and crappy viewing angles just to have motion clarity with this BenQ, so I'm willing to see how much better the LG 27" is in those other areas. Getting it for 1/2 the retail price is what made it worth trying for me.
It's because before you said you don't play FPS games at all (there's even a user who popped up talking about CS:GO)

So I was wondering, maybe you play specific games that need reduced blur (rhythm/retro games like sonic)

And since I hadn't seen an answer, I was afraid that you would prefer to have a 27 inch 1080p TN just to do things like read text on forums, which in my opinion makes no sense while 1440/4K and IPS exist.

I thought you preferred strobing just for something or you didn't need it and since you said you hadn't tested a monitor for years, I wanted to enlighten you a little but that's ok !

Of course, as I tell you I don't judge your use, you do what you want but we are on a forum with different use of course.

I only knew CRTs on certain mario/sonic games and on COD on console when i was kid, it was good but in the past!

But the CRT had too many unpleasant flaws such as : intense flicker, size, grilling, low hertz etc.

for example, before I wanted at all costs the best strobing, even if it's horrible TN.

Now having tried some recent monitors, my opinion has changed and I think I prefer the 32 inch in 4K, so much better to have this 4K resolution than having my 25 inch strobing, but as you say, we have different opinions.

In any case, if you absolutely want to stay on your Zowie experience and not separate yourself too much from it, you will only be disappointed and you will maybe waste time with LG 1440p , only the XG2431 and OLED will surely be able to satisfy you, that's the only conclusion I wanted to bring you.

Basically, you're talking about the Gigabyte 1440p 240hz here, so I thought you would play games that would need a minimum of 240hz like FPS games for example.
Sorry for going off topic, have a good day.