Gigabyte M27Q-X Rev. 2.0 Coming in October - 240Hz, 1440P, RGB... hopefully not KSF?

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
Ozzuneoj

Gigabyte M27Q-X Rev. 2.0 Coming in October - 240Hz, 1440P, RGB... hopefully not KSF?

Post by Ozzuneoj » 15 Aug 2023, 13:39

I figured this was worth posting in the news section for those interested. I have been researching monitors and just happened to see a news article about Gigabyte announcing a new M27Q-X Rev. 2.0 just yesterday.

For those unfamiliar with the first revision of the M27Q-X, here is a thread about it from last year. It's a pretty solid all around monitor, with features that would cost $300 more from other brands. It seems like one of the bigger issues with it is the KSF Phosphor backlighting causing lots of red fringing in certain situations... I believe when strobing (Aim Stabilizer) is enabled it can be quite bad.

Gigabyte's other similar monitor, the FI27Q-X has better ergonomics and ----[EDIT: Actually after doing more reading, it does have KSF Phosphor too, nevermind], but it has a BGR subpixel layout which can be problematic and ugly in many situations.

So, both variants (neither of which seem to be available currently) have lots of promise but have at least one rather serious flaw.

Anyway, with the new revision of the M27Q-X, I'm hoping they have dropped the KSF backlighting, but won't won't know until it is released.

Here is the product page:
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Monitor/M27Q-X-rev-20/sp#sp

... and a comparison of what is currently known about it vs the Rev. 1.0 on DisplaySpecifications:
https://www.displayspecifications.com/e ... 732726e8b3

Seems like the color and brightness specs have shifted around a bit, so even if the brightness is now lower, this may be a good sign that they've moved to a non-KSF backlit panel.

I emailed Gigabyte for more info about this new revision and they replied to me within half an hour. Amazing!

I asked:
*Does the display panel have an RGB or BGR subpixel layout?

*Does the panel's backlight utilize KSF phosphors or some other technology?

*Can you provide the model or at least brand of the panel used in this monitor?

*When will it be available at retail in the USA?

*What will be the MSRP?

Also, is there a current plan to release an updated FI27Q-X as well? The current FI27Q-X uses a BGR subpixel layout, which causes many issues for various programs. An updated model that uses standard RGB would be very nice. Alternatively, if the M27Q-X simply had a full tilt\height\rotate stand that would be great too. The lack of rotation on M-line of monitors is unfortunate, but they otherwise look like great products!
They replied:
Dear Customer,

Our product team can only disclose:

It is a RGB sub pixel layout.

It will be available in Early October.

MSRP will be similar to the original model.

FI27Q X will not have a revision 2.

M27Q X & V2 have a tilt and height adjustable stand but will not feature rotate.

We thank you for the feedback and good questions.

Best Regards,

Jimmy
So, RGB is good. I have a feeling it won't be KSF since several of the color and brightness specs have changed, but we won't know until someone gets to test one after release.

If it's about the same price as the previous model, it should be in the $400 US range, which isn't dirt cheap but is pretty good for all the features you get. Unless there is some other glaring flaw or shortcoming, this could be my next monitor... though I am really going to miss being able to rotate my monitor. Such a stupid omission.
Last edited by Ozzuneoj on 23 Aug 2023, 14:54, edited 2 times in total.

Sirius

Re: Gigabyte M27Q-X Rev. 2.0 Coming in October - 240Hz, 1440P, RGB... hopefully not KSF?

Post by Sirius » 22 Aug 2023, 03:01

Ozzuneoj wrote:
15 Aug 2023, 13:39
I figured this was worth posting in the news section for those interested. I have been researching monitors and just happened to see a news article about Gigabyte announcing a new M27Q-X Rev. 2.0 just yesterday.

For those unfamiliar with the first revision of the M27Q-X, here is a thread about it from last year. It's a pretty solid all around monitor, with features that would cost $300 more from other brands. It seems like one of the bigger issues with it is the KSF Phosphor backlighting causing lots of red fringing in certain situations... I believe when strobing (Aim Stabilizer) is enabled it can be quite bad.

Gigabyte's other similar monitor, the FI27Q-X doesn't have the KSF Phosphor issue, but it has a BGR subpixel layout which can be problematic and ugly in many situations.

So, both variants (neither of which seem to be available currently) have lots of promise but have at least one rather serious flaw.

Anyway, with the new revision of the M27Q-X, I'm hoping they have dropped the KSF backlighting, but won't won't know until it is released.

Here is the product page:
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Monitor/M27Q-X-rev-20/sp#sp

... and a comparison of what is currently known about it vs the Rev. 1.0 on DisplaySpecifications:
https://www.displayspecifications.com/e ... 732726e8b3

Seems like the color and brightness specs have shifted around a bit, so even if the brightness is now lower, this may be a good sign that they've moved to a non-KSF backlit panel.

I emailed Gigabyte for more info about this new revision and they replied to me within half an hour. Amazing!

I asked:
*Does the display panel have an RGB or BGR subpixel layout?

*Does the panel's backlight utilize KSF phosphors or some other technology?

*Can you provide the model or at least brand of the panel used in this monitor?

*When will it be available at retail in the USA?

*What will be the MSRP?

Also, is there a current plan to release an updated FI27Q-X as well? The current FI27Q-X uses a BGR subpixel layout, which causes many issues for various programs. An updated model that uses standard RGB would be very nice. Alternatively, if the M27Q-X simply had a full tilt\height\rotate stand that would be great too. The lack of rotation on M-line of monitors is unfortunate, but they otherwise look like great products!
They replied:
Dear Customer,

Our product team can only disclose:

It is a RGB sub pixel layout.

It will be available in Early October.

MSRP will be similar to the original model.

FI27Q X will not have a revision 2.

M27Q X & V2 have a tilt and height adjustable stand but will not feature rotate.

We thank you for the feedback and good questions.

Best Regards,

Jimmy
So, RGB is good. I have a feeling it won't be KSF since several of the color and brightness specs have changed, but we won't know until someone gets to test one after release.

If it's about the same price as the previous model, it should be in the $400 US range, which isn't dirt cheap but is pretty good for all the features you get. Unless there is some other glaring flaw or shortcoming, this could be my next monitor... though I am really going to miss being able to rotate my monitor. Such a stupid omission.
I'm interested in it but with all the problems that Gigabyte have in general, I'm not too tempted, in addition the M27QX had a lot of QC problems, we'll see.

Hoping not that it has the horrible panel of the XV272UX.
Current temporary test : XG2431 | Main monitor : actually nothing | I've had : 1080P : XL2546X / XL2566K / XL2546K / XL2546 / XL2540K / XL2746S / EX2510 / MAG251RX / NXG253R / MAG271CR / VG259QM / VG258QM / XG249CM / XG259CM / VG279QM / S2522HG / XG2431 / XG2405 / XG2702 / AW2518HF / AW2521HF / AW2720HF / 24G2U / Omen X 25 | 1440P : XV272UX / MAG274QRF-QD / 27GP850 / 27GN850 / AW2723DF / Omen X 27 / XG27AQM / XG27AQMR / S2721DGFA / Odyssey G7 / EX270QM / VG27AQML1A / XENEON 27QHD240 / XV272UKF / XV272UX 4K : U28G2XU2 / M32UC

Ozzuneoj

Re: Gigabyte M27Q-X Rev. 2.0 Coming in October - 240Hz, 1440P, RGB... hopefully not KSF?

Post by Ozzuneoj » 22 Aug 2023, 07:04

Sirius wrote:
22 Aug 2023, 03:01
I'm interested in it but with all the problems that Gigabyte have in general, I'm not too tempted, in addition the M27QX had a lot of QC problems, we'll see.

I think Gigabyte has had some specific problems (as Gamers Nexus clearly pointed out a couple times) but overall their products are decent. My Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite has been solid for 4 years now and has received regular BIOS updates. Also had a couple Gigabyte GPUs in recent years that have been fine.

There are certainly other brands I'd look to for quality displays, but if no one will put out a monitor with competitive features for under $600 it makes it hard to choose them.

I'd love to get another BenQ because the build quality has been fantastic on my XL2720Z for many years, but they pretty much have no products that fit what I'm looking for in 2023.

Sirius

Post by Sirius » 22 Aug 2023, 09:13

Ozzuneoj wrote:
22 Aug 2023, 07:04
Sirius wrote:

I think Gigabyte has had some specific problems (as Gamers Nexus clearly pointed out a couple times) but overall their products are decent. My Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite has been solid for 4 years now and has received regular BIOS updates. Also had a couple Gigabyte GPUs in recent years that have been fine.

There are certainly other brands I'd look to for quality displays, but if no one will put out a monitor with competitive features for under $600 it makes it hard to choose them.

I'd love to get another BenQ because the build quality has been fantastic on my XL2720Z for many years, but they pretty much have no products that fit what I'm looking for in 2023.
I don't know, I've only had few graphics cards and each time their graphics cards was bad like: bad fan noises / ineffective fans

I also see the number of problems on their motherboards such as coil whine etc

After all yeah, I still prefer Gigabyte to Acer with their horrible overdrive management
Current temporary test : XG2431 | Main monitor : actually nothing | I've had : 1080P : XL2546X / XL2566K / XL2546K / XL2546 / XL2540K / XL2746S / EX2510 / MAG251RX / NXG253R / MAG271CR / VG259QM / VG258QM / XG249CM / XG259CM / VG279QM / S2522HG / XG2431 / XG2405 / XG2702 / AW2518HF / AW2521HF / AW2720HF / 24G2U / Omen X 25 | 1440P : XV272UX / MAG274QRF-QD / 27GP850 / 27GN850 / AW2723DF / Omen X 27 / XG27AQM / XG27AQMR / S2721DGFA / Odyssey G7 / EX270QM / VG27AQML1A / XENEON 27QHD240 / XV272UKF / XV272UX 4K : U28G2XU2 / M32UC

Ozzuneoj

Post by Ozzuneoj » 22 Aug 2023, 23:30

Sirius wrote:
22 Aug 2023, 09:13
Ozzuneoj wrote:
22 Aug 2023, 07:04
Sirius wrote:

I don't know, I've only had few graphics cards and each time their graphics cards was bad like: bad fan noises / ineffective fans

I also see the number of problems on their motherboards such as coil whine etc

After all yeah, I still prefer Gigabyte to Acer with their horrible overdrive management
I appreciate the input. Come to think of it, the chipset fan on my X570 board did make noise for a while on startup about a year into ownership. It never had to run other than for 5-10 seconds during startup. I was able to fix it by simply setting fan speeds differently so it would run more often, and after a while the startup noise went away and I was able to set it back to normal and it hasn't returned in a couple of years. Not ideal, but yes, I'd say it was probably not the best quality fan for a $200 motherboard.

Also, since you're here... I have seen some of your posts about monitors you have tested and I am curious about the XG27AQM and XG27AQMR. What were your results with them, and why did you give them an X rather than a thumbs up? I was just reading about those today and, while they are expensive, they seem to have similar features to Gigabyte's displays and I'm wondering how they compare.

I did a little digging but haven't been able to find out whether either of them are BGR subpixel layout or use KSF phosphor backlights.

Also, I would be very curious to hear what your results are with one of the 27" 240Hz 1440P monitors from Gigabyte. Hopefully the M27Q-X Rev.2 drops the KSF backlight at least, but we won't know for a couple more months.

EDIT: If we want to avoid derailing this thread, you can post any input you have on the other monitors I mentioned in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&p=96802#p96802

Thanks again. :)

Sirius

Post by Sirius » 23 Aug 2023, 04:16

Ozzuneoj wrote:
22 Aug 2023, 23:30
I appreciate the input. Come to think of it, the chipset fan on my X570 board did make noise for a while on startup about a year into ownership. It never had to run other than for 5-10 seconds during startup. I was able to fix it by simply setting fan speeds differently so it would run more often, and after a while the startup noise went away and I was able to set it back to normal and it hasn't returned in a couple of years. Not ideal, but yes, I'd say it was probably not the best quality fan for a $200 motherboard.
For the chipset, to tell the truth, it's almost all the X570s that had this problem with fan noise, but on MSI and Tuf I hadn't had any problems even if each time I couldn't stay with AMD.

And it's not because your motherboard costs "only" 200 dollars that the fans are cheap or something like that, we're going off topic but expensive motherboards are useless.

In any case, I'm talking about their products in general (like the inefficient and noisy fans of their graphics cards that they haven't changed for years, unlike MSI for example) or also coil whine on their motherboards etc
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Also, since you're here... I have seen some of your posts about monitors you have tested and I am curious about the XG27AQM and XG27AQMR. What were your results with them, and why did you give them an X rather than a thumbs up? I was just reading about those today and, while they are expensive, they seem to have similar features to Gigabyte's displays and I'm wondering how they compare.
Simply because they were basic for too high price, I mean, as usual a strobing which brings a lot of crosstalk and makes this mode unusable, without strobing it was like any other random screen, a basic blur management and even if it was 1440p I didn't find them that sharp.
The AQM is no longer produced and the AQMR (300hz OC version) had a buggy OSD which meant that at each ALT-TAB there was a black screen before seeing our desktop.
Also at times the ELMB was disable, settings changed on their own (when switching from a fullscreen game to another application or when restarting the PC) for close to 750 euros, I found that ridiculous.

But if it wouldn't have had the OSD glitches and had a bit faster overdrive, maybe it could have been one of the best, maybe try it and see if it's good for you ?

I still have a weird feeling with 1440p, like they don't pay much attention to themselves and tweak their Overdrive a bit slower so it doesn't have any overshot.

Ozzuneoj wrote:
I did a little digging but haven't been able to find out whether either of them are BGR subpixel layout or use KSF phosphor backlights.

Also, I would be very curious to hear what your results are with one of the 27" 240Hz 1440P monitors from Gigabyte. Hopefully the M27Q-X Rev.2 drops the KSF backlight at least, but we won't know for a couple more months.

EDIT: If we want to avoid derailing this thread, you can post any input you have on the other monitors I mentioned in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&p=96802#p96802
Thanks again. :)
I've never had the M27QX.
And as I said, with all its QC problems, it doesn't make you want to, moreover, it seems to have a fairly average Overdrive, either you have overshoot or blur, not terrible right ?

But hey, surely I'll try it, in fact, I'm a bit in an endless time loop I'll explain a little you'll laugh:

I mainly play OW and Apex ( Apex Legends ) but I write a LOT of text on various sites, so I still need to have a minimum of sharpness (higher resolution) and also colors, TN, I find it hardcore how I don't like it, it's grainy > 1080p etc
BUT when I swap to 1440p (IPS only) I always have this feeling that I'm slow no matter what I'm doing and I hardly ever like motion blur on 1440p even at max FPS all the time, that's a concern for personal requirements, so I try 1440p for a few months, a year passes and as I forget the feelings of the TN (BenQ) and that I have good memories of it, well I go back to it, again and again, yet I don't necessarily play better and I don't necessarily see better but lots of things make it (especially the XL2566K) appreciable, it's a poison.

Clearly, I'm trying to find a 1440p between 240hz and 300hz that would give me more comfort and performance than an XL2566K and a 4K 144hz (I started testing 4K recently) my first is an AOC and guess what ...it was defective lol but damn it was smooth ! (Innolux panel) the 144hz looked like 240hz but with the G-Sync.

Anyway have a good day ;)

Ozzuneoj

Post by Ozzuneoj » 23 Aug 2023, 16:57

Sirius wrote:
23 Aug 2023, 04:16
For the chipset, to tell the truth, it's almost all the X570s that had this problem with fan noise, but on MSI and Tuf I hadn't had any problems even if each time I couldn't stay with AMD.

And it's not because your motherboard costs "only" 200 dollars that the fans are cheap or something like that, we're going off topic but expensive motherboards are useless.

In any case, I'm talking about their products in general (like the inefficient and noisy fans of their graphics cards that they haven't changed for years, unlike MSI for example) or also coil whine on their motherboards etc
Oh, sorry I guess I wasn't too clear with that comment. I meant $200 board as expensive... because, traditionally, that was quite expensive. In 2019 when I bought it, it was about upper-mid range... which used to be where $99-$129 motherboards were years ago. Though, to be fair, the Tyan KX133 Slot-A motherboard I bought for my first custom PC back in 2000 was about $200 as well, and that was a LOT more money 23 years ago... but computers were much more expensive at that time too.

Anyway, I saw it as a pretty premium board, so having a chipset fan on an almost new board in 2020 sound like the ones grinding away on video cards and chipsets from 2001 was a bit disappointing. I'm glad it cleared itself up. Most likely it just wasn't lubed properly or run enough in storage, or it could have even been pinched\kinked during installation and took a while to balance out.
Sirius wrote:
Simply because they were basic for too high price, I mean, as usual a strobing which brings a lot of crosstalk and makes this mode unusable, without strobing it was like any other random screen, a basic blur management and even if it was 1440p I didn't find them that sharp.
The AQM is no longer produced and the AQMR (300hz OC version) had a buggy OSD which meant that at each ALT-TAB there was a black screen before seeing our desktop.
Also at times the ELMB was disable, settings changed on their own (when switching from a fullscreen game to another application or when restarting the PC) for close to 750 euros, I found that ridiculous.

But if it wouldn't have had the OSD glitches and had a bit faster overdrive, maybe it could have been one of the best, maybe try it and see if it's good for you ?

I still have a weird feeling with 1440p, like they don't pay much attention to themselves and tweak their Overdrive a bit slower so it doesn't have any overshot.
Thanks for the info! I believe I read somewhere yesterday that the AQMR addressed some of the OSD\usability shortcomings of the AQM, possibly through a firmware update? I can't remember. Might be worth looking into.. but yes, it is quite a bit more expensive than some other monitors.

I do find it interesting that ASUS' ELMB Sync and Gigabyte's Aim Stabilizer Sync both made it in to several production monitors. Combining VRR and strobing seemed like a technical impossibility when both technologies first started, and the early examples of such combinations were a total mess (based on what I read several years ago).

I must say, my absolute ideal display would allow me to use one of those modes without any super distracting artifacts. I don't notice the crosstalk much in games on my XL2720Z, but I can't imagine the complexity of a monitor trying to manage that with VRR enabled as well.
Sirius wrote:
I've never had the M27QX.
And as I said, with all its QC problems, it doesn't make you want to, moreover, it seems to have a fairly average Overdrive, either you have overshoot or blur, not terrible right ?

But hey, surely I'll try it, in fact, I'm a bit in an endless time loop I'll explain a little you'll laugh:

I mainly play OW and Apex ( Apex Legends ) but I write a LOT of text on various sites, so I still need to have a minimum of sharpness (higher resolution) and also colors, TN, I find it hardcore how I don't like it, it's grainy > 1080p etc
BUT when I swap to 1440p (IPS only) I always have this feeling that I'm slow no matter what I'm doing and I hardly ever like motion blur on 1440p even at max FPS all the time, that's a concern for personal requirements, so I try 1440p for a few months, a year passes and as I forget the feelings of the TN (BenQ) and that I have good memories of it, well I go back to it, again and again, yet I don't necessarily play better and I don't necessarily see better but lots of things make it (especially the XL2566K) appreciable, it's a poison.

Clearly, I'm trying to find a 1440p between 240hz and 300hz that would give me more comfort and performance than an XL2566K and a 4K 144hz (I started testing 4K recently) my first is an AOC and guess what ...it was defective lol but damn it was smooth ! (Innolux panel) the 144hz looked like 240hz but with the G-Sync.

Anyway have a good day ;)
I figured you hadn't tried one since it wasn't on your list, but I'm still curious what your take would be on them. Sadly, it appears that the M27Q-X is no longer available at all. I am looking forward to hearing what you think of the Rev 2 if you end up rolling the dice on one. :D

And your experience of going back and forth with monitors sounds basically like what would happen to me if I had the money to play around with displays. Heck, before I got the XL2720Z I went back and forth from my 21" high end CRT from ~2004. Hard to look at an LCD the same when you've used a 4:3 CRT at 1600x1200@100Hz+ for almost 10 years.

EDIT: Also, have you considered trying the new 260Hz ASUS VG27AQML1A? Looks pretty promising, and it's significantly cheaper than some other ASUS models at $399... though you don't get a KVM like you would with the MQ27-X from Gigabyte.

Sirius

Post by Sirius » 24 Aug 2023, 07:24

Ozzuneoj wrote:
23 Aug 2023, 16:57
Oh, sorry I guess I wasn't too clear with that comment. I meant $200 board as expensive... because, traditionally, that was quite expensive. In 2019 when I bought it, it was about upper-mid range... which used to be where $99-$129 motherboards were years ago. Though, to be fair, the Tyan KX133 Slot-A motherboard I bought for my first custom PC back in 2000 was about $200 as well, and that was a LOT more money 23 years ago... but computers were much more expensive at that time too.

Anyway, I saw it as a pretty premium board, so having a chipset fan on an almost new board in 2020 sound like the ones grinding away on video cards and chipsets from 2001 was a bit disappointing. I'm glad it cleared itself up. Most likely it just wasn't lubed properly or run enough in storage, or it could have even been pinched\kinked during installation and took a while to balance out.
Don't worry haha, yesterday I went to see a motherboard that I bought in 2018 damn 120 euro and in 2022 I bought one for damn 700 euro ! that's crazy.

To finally go back to a 250 euro motherboard because I found the 700 euro motherboard useless and suddenly by selling it I made a lot of money, In fact I know why we make this mistake, before motherboards were not terrible and we thought we were buying low-end thing, suddenly today we buy expensive motherboards to believe that it will be better but In fact, one thing that no one understands is that it's not just the processor and graphics card that are changing, the motherboards are also changing, a motherboard cost 200 euros before wasn't terrible, now it's a crazy thing ( like my Z790-A DDR5 from MSI )

Anyway sorry for the off-topic !
Ozzuneoj wrote:
Thanks for the info! I believe I read somewhere yesterday that the AQMR addressed some of the OSD\usability shortcomings of the AQM, possibly through a firmware update? I can't remember. Might be worth looking into.. but yes, it is quite a bit more expensive than some other monitors.

I do find it interesting that ASUS' ELMB Sync and Gigabyte's Aim Stabilizer Sync both made it in to several production monitors. Combining VRR and strobing seemed like a technical impossibility when both technologies first started, and the early examples of such combinations were a total mess (based on what I read several years ago).

I must say, my absolute ideal display would allow me to use one of those modes without any super distracting artifacts. I don't notice the crosstalk much in games on my XL2720Z, but I can't imagine the complexity of a monitor trying to manage that with VRR enabled as well.

Yes in fact the AQMR is simply the AQM but OC in 300hz, I had the AQM and I sent it back and shortly after they stopped marketing it, but yes the OSD is the same, however I had no bugs on the AQM, after that maybe it will be fixed or it's already fixed but I don't see anyone saying that this screen is incredible even if honestly it was one of the best 1440p I've tried, I love the color saturation on the Asus IPS screens.

But I can't react very well with it, for me they should have made a little effort on the overdrive.

I have NEVER been able to play correctly with ELMB-SYNC and yet I have tried many Asus screens, each time either it is dark, or there is a lot of crosstalk and my eyes have trouble focusing , in fact it is counter-productive, for me.
Ozzuneoj wrote:
I figured you hadn't tried one since it wasn't on your list, but I'm still curious what your take would be on them. Sadly, it appears that the M27Q-X is no longer available at all. I am looking forward to hearing what you think of the Rev 2 if you end up rolling the dice on one. :D

And your experience of going back and forth with monitors sounds basically like what would happen to me if I had the money to play around with displays. Heck, before I got the XL2720Z I went back and forth from my 21" high end CRT from ~2004. Hard to look at an LCD the same when you've used a 4:3 CRT at 1600x1200@100Hz+ for almost 10 years.

EDIT: Also, have you considered trying the new 260Hz ASUS VG27AQML1A? Looks pretty promising, and it's significantly cheaper than some other ASUS models at $399... though you don't get a KVM like you would with the MQ27-X from Gigabyte.
For me, in a store in my country, the M27QX is coming back in October, it's revision 2, right?
But yes, I will definitely try the Gigabyte when it comes back, especially its OSD looks super practical but the overdrive scares me, we'll see.

Regarding the Asus VG27AQL1A you will laugh but it will arrive at my house in a few hours xD

I ordered it two days ago because I'm curious even if its panel scares me, according to Display Specification it would have the same AUO Optronics as the Acer XV272UX (my previous screen) which for me was a nightmare on FPS games because it was jerky, slow and a lot of ghosting, apparently it's a second revision of this panel, we'll see, maybe Asus will manage the panel better.

Oh and it's Quantum Dots.

More info here : https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/536b3347 / https://www.panelook.com/modeldetail.php?id=52040

Ozzuneoj

Post by Ozzuneoj » 24 Aug 2023, 14:52

Sirius wrote:
24 Aug 2023, 07:24

Regarding the Asus VG27AQL1A you will laugh but it will arrive at my house in a few hours xD

I ordered it two days ago because I'm curious even if its panel scares me, according to Display Specification it would have the same AUO Optronics as the Acer XV272UX (my previous screen) which for me was a nightmare on FPS games because it was jerky, slow and a lot of ghosting, apparently it's a second revision of this panel, we'll see, maybe Asus will manage the panel better.

Oh and it's Quantum Dots.

More info here : https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/536b3347 / https://www.panelook.com/modeldetail.php?id=52040
Haha, that's amazing! Really interested to hear what you think of it.

I do wish it had KVM like Gigabyte has been putting on their monitors at this price level... but I also like that it has a decent stand that can pivot\swivel\rotate.

I hope there aren't any serious issues with it though, since the price is pretty decent.

I had looked at the displayspecifications.com page for it yesterday and compared it to others but I never thought to look up the panel on panelook. I had no idea it was QD panel... I wonder why Asus isn't advertising that? Maybe they need to pay more to actually say that...

Anyway, I'll admit, I have no idea exactly what the pros and cons are of a QD panel when it comes to computer monitors. I hope it's an overall good thing, but it seems that every new technology has some sort of annoying trade-off these days.

Sirius

Post by Sirius » 26 Aug 2023, 06:22

Ozzuneoj wrote:
24 Aug 2023, 14:52
Haha, that's amazing! Really interested to hear what you think of it.

I do wish it had KVM like Gigabyte has been putting on their monitors at this price level... but I also like that it has a decent stand that can pivot\swivel\rotate.

I hope there aren't any serious issues with it though, since the price is pretty decent.

I had looked at the displayspecifications.com page for it yesterday and compared it to others but I never thought to look up the panel on panelook. I had no idea it was QD panel... I wonder why Asus isn't advertising that? Maybe they need to pay more to actually say that...

Anyway, I'll admit, I have no idea exactly what the pros and cons are of a QD panel when it comes to computer monitors. I hope it's an overall good thing, but it seems that every new technology has some sort of annoying trade-off these days.
I'm coming back to you especially because you were interested in my opinion on the asus VG27AQL1A and it's an instant NO.

On this one, no need to test it for more than a week, only 2/3 days were enough for me, honestly the anti-reflective treatment and the overall sharpness is so weird, my eyes have trouble looking at moving elements and it gives me eye strain, after comparing this Asus to my wife's Acer XV272UX, the coating is oddly too grainy in comparison (this is what causes my eye strain and horrible readability in games)

Just look at this, it's hilarious :

Left Asus, Right Acer

Left Asus, Right Acer

Some don't care but being myopic and astigmatic like me (even if it has no relation) I'm looking for good sharpness and not a crap filter that blurs my view, you may have the best motion blur, if you put a filter in front of me I would take more time to react.

Besides, it's not the only problem with this screen, the colors aren't the best I've seen on a 1440p, the white/black/gray balance is really bad and reminds me of the Alienware AW2723DF, like, some places that have a very strong white in games will be really overexposed but dark places will be very dark, it seems to be a contrast/gamma issue doesn't it?
Well...nothing to do, either the panel has a slight gray veil, or it's overexposed and the panel also has poor brightness management, either it's too strong, or not enough, I really don't like it and because of the anti-reflective treatment, the enemies do not stand out from the scenery on Apex Legends.
The strobing is also LIKE ALWAYS, bad unfortunately and G-Sync are not that smooth, even by deleting some useless resolution ( it helps on some monitors )

I've been on the Acer XV272UX for a long time and I've criticized it a lot because I thought there was better than this, we would say wrongly.

In my criteria I am looking for a screen that is as far away as possible from the ultra grainy treatments of Alienware and Dell (for me the worst companies when it comes to anti-reflective treatment) which destroys visibility and human reaction time.

I also have the XL2566K currently, better than the asus! but 1080p TN 25 inches, with coil whine, honestly it performs very well on my main games like Apex Legends, Osu! and Overwatch.

But I'm not 13 yo anymore, I'm 23 yo today and I'm tired of playing on small screens which supposedly give an advantage on visibility in motion in paper whereas on real use, it doesn't doesn't help at all, especially since to accept the XL2566K you must have LOTS of factors checked which are difficult to reach, like :

- You have to mentally support the strong coil whine when you don't have headphones
- Wanting to drop 700 euros for a 25-inch TN where you can comfortably do nothing with it except play your favorite FPS (hoping that you win all your games, otherwise the screen will be useless to you and frustrating)
- Be in Tryhard mode all the time, bring the screen closer to you.
- Say goodbye to MMO or single-player games/digital drawing ( personally idc i have OLED TV but...60hz xD )
- PPI of 1080p, TN panel to write on forums or social networks.
- Having fun with a team or several friends, otherwise solo (that's another debate) but you may have the best visibility of the game because you're good, the screen will make you look ridiculous because it doesn't benefit you in any way and does not have the exceptional fluidity that people say

That's why I'm looking for a screen with the best coating, I now know after testing ALL the recent Asus and even the old ones from 2019 to 2023, that I must forget this brand and add it to skip brands like Dell and Alienware.

Plus they don't have an option that I like enabled slightly (sharpness), Asus have VividPixel but it's infamous, like Alienware sharpness settings which add grainy/black lines etc

In conclusion the M27QX Rev 2 will be my first Gigabyte, I see that they have potentially changed panel supplier, please don't make it AUO Optronics...

Anyway, I'm done with 1440p (Gigabyte will be my last)

I'm going to send back the asus and the Zowie (and I say goodbye to 1080p, I don't play better on it and I'm never focused on it)

I'm going to try some 4K 144/160hz in 32 inches and some other 4K 144hz in 27/28 inches, after that I'll try the Gigabyte M27QX Rev 2 and then an OLED 1440P 240hz, if among those I don't like nothing because of different reasons, I would go back to the Acer XV272UX and I would no longer do screen tests with 2/3 years until better OLEDs come out.