G-Sync & ULMB Usable at the same time! (Demoed on XB252Q)

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
lexlazootin

G-Sync & ULMB Usable at the same time! (Demoed on XB252Q)

Post by lexlazootin » 27 Mar 2017, 08:10

Looks like Nvidia want's to bring G-Sync+ULMB to the main stream!

Toms Hardware (French): http://www.tomshardware.fr/articles/ulm ... 62461.html

Translated:
"The presentation was very convincing: a fast drop-down menu became perfectly readable once the G-Sync and the ULMB, up to 144 Hz. The image quality was amazing and would be beneficial for all users with a compatible screen. Note that if the graphics card delivers only 70 frames per second, the images will be doubled to 140 Hz with synchronized ULMB frequency. An image doubling that already existed before at low frequency, but without synchronous ULMB.

According to NVIDIA, the new ULMB standard has two advantages: the 144 Hz management and a lower reduction in brightness . The old version was limited to 120 Hz. There is always an impact on the brightness, but it is negligible in our opinion and it represents a very reasonable compromise with regard to the gain of clarity obtained."

ULMB will now work at 144hz, with G-Sync AND with less brightness loss then the 'previous version'. IMO Nvidia is very protective of their technology and only want ULMB settings that will result in the best picture quality, this leads me to believe that they will be using the VT tweaks to achieve the brightness boost and 144hz with little to no crosstalk.

Also something to note is that G-Sync+ULMB feature will use image doubling, something that was used when your framerate dips below your monitors minimum framerate, but this time it looks like it will be doubling anything lower then 72fps, this leads me to belive that this has something to do with dealing with the problem of fluctuating brightness with the hacked G-Sync-ULMB that Masterotaku originally found.

So we know that some monitors already work with ULMB and G-Sync and they could be 'switched on' to allow this feature but some monitors did seam to work with hacked G-Sync+ULMB trick and the new ULMB features will require VT tweaks for them to work. So it's currently not known if any of our previous monitors will be enabled to work with any of these features.

The monitor at the show demoing this tech was the Acer XB252Q 240hz with currently you can buy without these features.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N34Q6LF?tag=blurbust-20

Thanks jeanpiaire for finding this :P
Last edited by lexlazootin on 28 Mar 2017, 05:02, edited 1 time in total.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: G-Sync & ULMB Usable at the same time! (Demoed on XB252Q

Post by RealNC » 27 Mar 2017, 10:03

I hope they can add this to existing monitors through the driver. Otherwise, it will be at least 5-6 years before I can even consider changing monitor :-P
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Mar 2017, 12:05

Fantastic info to see more GSYNC+ULMB stuff.

Also, we have a post on the main site too:
Combining strobing (ULMB/LightBoost) with variable refresh (GSYNC/FreeSync)

P.S. To support Blur Busters here's the Acer XB252Q on Amazon.
(Currently, Blur Busters uses Amazon links at this time, but we will try to add NewEgg in the future too.)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

knypol

Post by knypol » 27 Mar 2017, 15:41

Any idea when Nvidia is going to release this to mainstream?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Mar 2017, 15:58

Not sure yet. Anxiously waiting with baited breath!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Vega

Post by Vega » 27 Mar 2017, 21:51

Wow, very interesting. I'd love to try this on a 1440p monitor.

knypol

Post by knypol » 03 May 2017, 06:44

Do You think guys we can expect gsync+ulmb in this year? Any new information from Nvidia?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 03 May 2017, 08:53

Why do I have a feeling Masterotaku will soon be working for Nvidia?

Haldi

Post by Haldi » 24 Nov 2017, 09:29

Nice! Your turn AMD.

click4dylan

Post by click4dylan » 25 Nov 2017, 20:50

I just did this with my 240Hz, and I don't see the point. If i go below the refresh rate in FPS, I get constant black flickering, making gsync useless.