BenQ XL2546 (240Hz + DyAc) finally available

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
Anonymous90

BenQ XL2546 (240Hz + DyAc) finally available

Post by Anonymous90 » 15 Jul 2017, 00:30

From what I can tell it's basically identical to the XL2540 except it now has BenQ's DyAc technology (and less brightness? 320 vs 350cd/m²). It costs $50 more than the 2540.
I've been checking news on this monitor for the last couple of weeks/months as I really want to get the ultimate monitor for professional CSGO but I've been holding out because I'm not 100% sold yet. Hopefully someone will review this monitor soon.

BenQ XL2546 ZOWIE 24.5" 1080p LED 240Hz eSports Monitor with DyAc Black eQualizer Height Adjustable Stand DARK GREY

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: BenQ XL2546 (240Hz + DyAc) finally available

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Jul 2017, 00:37

Fantastic to hear it's available.

The Blur Busters Strobe Utility should already support XL2546, it supposedly uses the same codes as XL2540.

If anyone here gets an XL2546, please test Strobe Utility with it and let me know if it works!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

harris3304

Post by harris3304 » 16 Jul 2017, 19:58

Does DyAc add additional input lag like g-Sync? :)
And i'm currently also looking for a 240hz monitor. I mainly play fps like csgo. My friend just bought the Benq XL2540 240hz but holy the colours are terrible. I'm not a person that wants the colurs to be perfect but it's reaaaaly bad.
Iv'e heard that the Best colur 240hz monitor is the 24,5 Asus is that right?
But which of the 24,5" 240hz monitors are Best? In terms of input lag, pixel responsness, colour (even though all of Them is not the Best in terms of colours)??

Hope someone can help :)
I currently have the AOC G2460PG and happy with it, but looking forward to a 240hz ;)

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 17 Jul 2017, 05:57

The acer and the asus should be identical, same chip (g-sync), same panel. The G-sync configurations typically seam to be pretty good in terms of colour as i had the same issue with my Benq with shitty colours.

What makes you think G-Sync add latency?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jul 2017, 16:49

[flash=][/flash]
harris3304 wrote:input lag like g-Sync? :)
Relative to 1000fps VSYNC OFF, yes.

Nothing beats the ultra-low-lag of 1000fps VSYNC OFF on a 240Hz monitor for CS:GO. It's very sweet, in uber-low lag, if you absolutely want every single millisecond eliminated, termnated, to give you the absolute best competitive advantages.

But....

Relative to a simple fps_max 300? Not really, 240Hz GSYNC ended up pratically equally lagless.

Jorim ran over 5,080 lag samples of input lag tests for over four dozen graphs for our 240Hz GSYNC Input Lag Tests.

It all depends on your game settings. GSYNC has far less input lag than VSYNC ON, and requires really high framerate VSYNC OFF in order to noticeably surpass GSYNC lag. And for gamers who really prefer the "VSYNC ON experience" with literally ~90% of the laglessness of VSYNC OFF, then you'll like our lag test results 240Hz GSYNC.

Also, it depends on what you're comparing with. For example, 240fps GSYNC ended up having lower average input lag than 144Hz VSYNC OFF according to the graphs. That said, 1000fps VSYNC OFF beat pretty much everything on the market -- albiet by a scant few milliseconds, in many cases only 1-2ms.

Many competitive gamers do turn off GSYNC for competitive gaming, but then turn it back on for less-lag-critical situations.

Here's 3 out of the 49 graphs from our 240Hz lag tests / review

At 60Hz, the situation of VSYNC OFF is still vastly superior -- GSYNC clearly has noticeably more lag.

At 144Hz, the differences diminish.

At 240Hz, the lag disadvantage of GSYNC almost completely disappears. Only 1000fps+ VSYNC OFF really shows significant lag improvements.

When you're playing eSports for a prize pot, and need that 1ms reaction-time "finish-line" advantage ahead of your competitors, it can certainly be relevant. You have that option, all those extra refresh cycles definitely give you a competitive advantage -- Currently, the jump from 144Hz to 240Hz is a bigger lag advantage than "VSYNC OFF" versus "Proper frame-capped GSYNC"

For 99% of enthusiast competitive gamers, it now almost doesn't matter for properly-framerate-capped GSYNC versus VSYNC OFF when you're already in the 240Hz stratosphere. Just remember to frame-cap the GSYNC below max Hz to prevent the VSYNC ON lag.

The results are anticipated to be the same for 240Hz FreeSync, as for GSYNC. (Although variable-refresh-rate overdrive has traditionally not been very good for some FreeSync monitors). Even with 144Hz GSYNC -- if you're playing Civilization and MOBA's in between championship CS:GO games -- you can always also turn on/off GSYNC or FreeSync too. Or playing low framerate games such as Battlefield 4 -- where the difference between VSYNC OFF versus proper frame-capped GSYNC becomes even smaller (during 240Hz, anyway).

Currently, all the TN-based 240Hz monitors beat the best 144Hz monitors (in lag) even for non-GSYNC use. Even if you use VSYNC OFF, many of these models includes optional GSYNC/FreeSync anyway, so might as well use these features whenever you're not playing for championship money. The features are there, even if a given 240Hz monitor is simultaneously also the the best one for 1000fps VSYNC OFF too.
harris3304 wrote:And i'm currently also looking for a 240hz monitor. I mainly play fps like csgo. My friend just bought the Benq XL2540 240hz but holy the colours are terrible. I'm not a person that wants the colurs to be perfect but it's reaaaaly bad. Iv'e heard that the Best colur 240hz monitor is the 24,5 Asus is that right? But which of the 24,5" 240hz monitors are Best? In terms of input lag, pixel responsness, colour (even though all of Them is not the Best in terms of colours)??
All the 240Hz monitors have almost identical input lag in their fastest/best modes, having been well-optimized optimized for eSports. However if you're looking for good color, I've heard good things about the Asus (though have not seen that model myself yet with my own eyes). That said, Acer XB252Q is reportedly very similar in quality.

We've listed all 240Hz gaming monitors available on the market here, in this refresh-rate-sortable list:
List of 240Hz Monitors and Other High-Refresh-Rate Monitors.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

harris3304

Post by harris3304 » 17 Jul 2017, 18:20

Ohh I seee! I knew that g-sync added a bit of lag. But at 240hz it's almost none which is great to hear! :)
Okay after Reading your post cheif my choice is between the Acer XB252Q or ASUS PG258Q because even though the Benq model has the Black equalizer which are a really good thing to have in fps games at daylight. But with the NO g-sync it's really not worth it and not to mention the colours!

I really appreciate your answer cheif! Always spot on! ;)

So the colours between the Asus and Acer is 'reportedly' the same?
Are u gonna test these monitor and publish the results any time soon? :D

Lim

Post by Lim » 18 Jul 2017, 14:47

Hey,

someone of my viewers had the Benq xl2540, the Asus PG258Q and the mentioned Acer. With the Acer he had huge clouding issues and with the Asus AND Acer he had issues with pixel inversion in PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds as same as in H1Z1. And yesterday he told me that the Benq XL2546 AND the XL2735 (which currently "only" costs 500€ after price drop) dont had these issues. While I think for backlight scanning "nerds" the Benq is more interesting with its ability to use motion blur reduction within 180hz? I also want to buy one of these monitors, cannot decide yet :) From what Ive read here currently in this forum the xl2546 is exactly the same as the xl2540 while using the blurbusters tool or change vt tweaks?

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 18 Jul 2017, 18:15

240hz panel is same across all 240hz models and panel lottery is a reason why some have clouding/artifacts/better colors/etc, isn't it?
And model doesn't matter. May be some vendors do quality tests but how can we know?

Lim

Post by Lim » 18 Jul 2017, 18:28

Q83Ia7ta wrote:240hz panel is same across all 240hz models and panel lottery is a reason why some have clouding/artifacts/better colors/etc, isn't it?
And model doesn't matter. May be some vendors do quality tests but how can we know?
Of course it is. But Im not shure within artifacts (pixel inversion) and colors. I had 4 CFG70s for example and my first unit from september had the less amount of purple artifacts. While differences in color temperature within different settings etc are pretty obvious. Especially in gaming monitors all individual units will differ withib gamma settings, color temperature, brightness, homogeinity, clouding, blb etc. which is also a reason why "optimal settings" are pretty useless rather its more about personal preference when it comes to gamma and color temperature settings. Within colors maybe a slightly difference but if a panel has pixel inversion, its mostly the panel fault or a certain model

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Jul 2017, 22:29

Different manufacturers do expose different adjustments, such as different overdrive algorithms, variable refresh rate algorithms, and strobing algorithms. And different colors. And the inversion might be calibrated slightly differently (e.g. better/worse inversion artifacts).

However, for straightforward input lag, the differences between the 24" 240Hz TN monitors are currently below measurable levels (far less than 1ms difference) and lag differences between reviewers/websites is typically error margin / system related / testing technique (e.g. Leo Bodnar (top,center,bottom) /versus/ high speed camera /versus/ photodiode etc).
Lim wrote:Within colors maybe a slightly difference but if a panel has pixel inversion, its mostly the panel fault or a certain model
One clarification. Pixel inversion is a normal feature of all monitors, and essential for voltage balancing to prevent static charge buildups. It's, however, supposed to be completely invisible. Imperfect pixel inversion makes things visible as textured looks (e.g. fine checkerboard patterns or horizontal/vertical line artifacts in solid colors, or in flickering colors, discolorations such as purple or green, etc). Check the Lagom/Techmind links at www.testufo.com/inversion