Visiting CES 2018

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Visiting CES 2018

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Dec 2017, 01:13

Hello,

Chief Blur Buster will be roaming CES 2018.

I'll be hitting a few major monitor manufacturers and virtual reality goggles along the way, but if any of you'd love me to keep an eye out for specific booths, let me know! I am all ears for additions to my CES itinerary.

Cheers,
Mark Rejhon
Chief Blur Buster
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

BattleAxeVR

Re: Visiting CES 2018

Post by BattleAxeVR » 20 Dec 2017, 11:24

As you know, I'm mostly a projector guy, but I'm interested in all things VR and AR, so maybe try out the Magic Leap glasses if they're around, and any high-res / high-refresh VR helmets too.

In terms of VR HMDs, if you are familiar with their current limitations, try to notice if there's any lens glare from high contrast scenes inside the headset, like there is on Rift and Vive. Apparently the new Oculus models have much better fresnel lenses with less glare. There are also some neat films to try and blur the subpixels together so they overlap in the OSVR headset (open source one).

Trying out any wireless add-ons (using your PC GPU to do the rendering) would be great, like TPCast for the Rift / Vive. If there are other manufacturers than TPCast for wireless HDMI / USB transmission, that would be good to know too. And how much $$$. TPCast costs as much as the Rift itself, such a rip off! If you get to try any integrated VR headsets with 6Dof and inside-out tracking, try to swing your arm around and see how much lag there while detecting the controller movement.

If you see any DLP projector manufacturers, like BenQ or Viewsonic, ask them about possible 240hz support at 1080p, FullHD 1080p60 frame sequential 3D (60hz per eye, i.e. NV 3D Vision), HDR support at 1080p120, 4K 48hz mode with 10-bit HDR input in 4:4:4 or RGB, and whether you can leave XPR on at 1080p and so do the jittering in the image, yourself manually. Also if you see any other manufacturers like JVC or Sony who use LCoS chips, whether they ever plan on supporting at least 1080p 120 with or without HDR. Epson too. There is no excuse for any HDMI 2.0 projectors to not support 120hz at 1080p. It's 2018 FFS!!! This is not much to ask for. I bugged BenQ about 120hz official support for years and finally they came through.

Any gismos HDMI 2.1 input or output, like AV receivers support planned for 2018 release, would be good to know, it's good to get some business cards from manufacturers of HDMI chips, if there are any there, for our own hardware projects. A lot of times there are engineers there at CES so if you bug'em about their chip suppliers they might just tell you. They are, after all, printed visibly on the chips themselves.

Another thing I'm interested in is quantum dot films and RGB lasers tuned to rec 2020 or at least DCI P3 wavelengths. Big companies such as Sony and/or Christie are into RGB lasers for their cinema projectors big time now. Apparently it's the green lasers holding back the industry from foregoing using blue lasers and a yellow phosphor wheel to get the red and green, and sometimes red lasers are now used as well but the green has been a challenge. I'd love to know if any manufacturers solved the "green laser" issue and if they are shipping RGB laser products in 2018. It should have some eye candy in rec 2020 presentations too. Finding out the actual suppliers of these lasers would be terrific for some of my side projects. I've tried unsuccessfully over email many times.

For instance, with a blue laser and a quantum dot colour wheel you could replace the lamp on any DLP projector which is wavelength agnostic, write a new monitor ICC profile, and then get high coverage rec 2020 support. Maybe ask DLP manufacturers like BenQ why they don't use QD colour wheels and blue lasers, sure, give them that idea it's already out in the open. Most DLP designs already have colour wheels so it should be a drop-in replacement.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Dec 2017, 20:52

Fantastic suggestions.

I'm already visiting a few VR vendors but will definitely keep these extra considerations in mind.
I'm open to other suggestions, readers!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 22 Dec 2017, 02:31

It would be cool if you could get any info from NVIDIA on the future of GSYNC especially with blur reduction.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Dec 2017, 11:26

sharknice wrote:It would be cool if you could get any info from NVIDIA on the future of GSYNC especially with blur reduction.
Oh yes!
NVIDIA and AMD are very high on my list. I'm going to attempt to get 1on1s with them.

BattleAxeVR

Post by BattleAxeVR » 22 Dec 2017, 17:53

Here's the new wireless VR tech being shown at CES I heard about:

https://www.vrfocus.com/2017/12/peraso- ... -ces-2018/

Definitely worth checking out IMO.

Latency being the big unknown.

bigscreendude

Post by bigscreendude » 25 Dec 2017, 18:36

I would appreciate any news on large 16:9 , 4k, 30+ inch monitors that are 120+Hz. There is so much focus on large UWHD gaming monitors atm, but for me 16:9 is better. Better for most video content out there and afaik also fits human vision+peripheral vision better. I think UWHD might be better for content editing though, and perhaps game immersion.

Anyway, Any news on what is coming in 2018 is welcomed :)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Dec 2017, 01:33

bigscreendude wrote:I would appreciate any news on large 16:9 , 4k, 30+ inch monitors that are 120+Hz. There is so much focus on large UWHD gaming monitors atm, but for me 16:9 is better. Better for most video content out there and afaik also fits human vision+peripheral vision better. I think UWHD might be better for content editing though, and perhaps game immersion.

Anyway, Any news on what is coming in 2018 is welcomed :)
Thank you for the suggeston!

hammelgammler

Post by hammelgammler » 26 Dec 2017, 06:24

I really need to know when 1440p 240Hz comes out. I don't want to "downgrade" to 24.5" 1080p to get 240Hz, as I do other things as programming too.

BattleAxeVR

Post by BattleAxeVR » 26 Dec 2017, 13:12

I agree that 16:9 is a better fit to encompass both our vertical and horizontal field of view, as opposed to 21:9 / CinemaScope which is way wider than it needs to be, overkill. This is of course assuming that you sit close enough to max out your field of view in one axis. Curved screens help for that, as well as contrast uniformity and image size in the sweet spot. The one thing that high res 21:9 aspect helps with is ironically programming because you can have two columns of text. I'd love to have eye tracking on my next monitor so I can mouse focus where I'm looking.