Blur Busters Forums

Who you gonna call? The Blur Busters! For Everything Better Than 60Hz™ Skip to content

Visiting CES 2018

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!

Re: Visiting CES 2018

Postby lexlazootin » 10 Jan 2018, 03:09

PPI doesn't really matter because it mainly has to do with how close you're sitting next to your monitor. as a desk "monitor" it's pretty shitty due to how much you would need to move your head unless you sit a meter or two away, but even then.

This is defiantly more suited to a living room where you need more than one person watching or you just want to sit in a bean bag next to a few mates playing dark souls on a big screen :) you can't really do that with a 27" monitor.
User avatar
lexlazootin
 
Posts: 1251
Joined: 16 Dec 2014, 02:57

Re: Visiting CES 2018

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 10 Jan 2018, 05:26

Seating yourself 65" away from a 65" will be similar to seating yourself 27" away from a 27".

That said, the 4K display looked comfy from roughly only 3.5 to 4 feet away (~40-48"), something doable with a wallmount behind a desk moved slightly back. I found it okay from that distance. Just don't sit only 27" in front of a 65" :)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors
User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6250
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44

Re: Visiting CES 2018

Postby RealNC » 10 Jan 2018, 06:29

darzo wrote:So what's the effect of pixels per inch in the case of the 65-inch monitor versus the 27-inch monitor? Would you say that the 65-inch monitor is akin to say a 27-inch 1080 monitor and 4k at 27 inches should be glory or am I misunderstanding?

Pixel density is 67.78dpi, which is the same as a 32.5" 1080p. So it's quite low. Since this isn't a monitor though, that's fine. You need some distance from this thing, otherwise you can't see the whole image without constantly turning your head. Also, movies and games look fine with lower DPI.

This really is a display for games and video. Using it as a monitor would be awkward, and the DPI would make applications and text look grainy.
TwitterSteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.
User avatar
RealNC
 
Posts: 2713
Joined: 24 Dec 2013, 18:32

Re: Visiting CES 2018

Postby sharknice » 10 Jan 2018, 14:53

I think they are meant to be used more like a surround setup where you sit closer and have a high fov with a lot of peripheral vision. The advantages you get over 3 screens are no bezels and more vertical fov.
User avatar
sharknice
 
Posts: 271
Joined: 23 Dec 2013, 17:16
Location: Minnesota

Re: Visiting CES 2018

Postby Acclaim » 13 Jan 2018, 15:54

Vega wrote:Mark, visit the LG booth and see if the new 5,120 x 2,160 34WK95U can overclock at all. :D

Also let us know what the new LG 34GK950G G-Sync refresh rate is. ;)


Hey Chief, hope you enjoyed CES!

Any update on the refresh rate/ULMB support for LG's 34GK950G?
Acclaim
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 28 Mar 2015, 16:30

Re: Visiting CES 2018

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 13 Jan 2018, 16:25

Acclaim wrote:
Vega wrote:Mark, visit the LG booth and see if the new 5,120 x 2,160 34WK95U can overclock at all. :D

Also let us know what the new LG 34GK950G G-Sync refresh rate is. ;)


Hey Chief, hope you enjoyed CES!

Any update on the refresh rate/ULMB support for LG's 34GK950G?

Not all vendors were exhibiting gaming monitors - for example, BenQ Zowie wasn't at this year's CES. I could not find the 34GK950G, it may have been there but as you know, CES is massive.

I have more content to post in the next three days. I am giving some of them the photojournal treatment, such as China now has many 240Hz monitors. At least one or two more photojournals coming, plus NVIDIA Holodeck, ASUS's showroom, and AMD's showroom - I am covering different angles than most mainstream sites. I am here on a learning mission and relationship building (priority over media), so my media coverage lags a bit - but as you can see, nobody else seems to have reported on the new Chinese 240Hz monitors!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors
User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6250
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44

Re: Visiting CES 2018

Postby Xx123456xX » 13 Jan 2018, 16:29

Chief, were you able check out cameras? Were you able to get any info out of Panasonic regarding the possibility of real-time 120fps in the GH5/GH5S and/or future GH cameras?
Xx123456xX
 
Posts: 33
Joined: 03 Dec 2016, 16:03
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Visiting CES 2018

Postby lexlazootin » 13 Jan 2018, 19:25

I love China :) Hopefully, we get some banging deals with free shipping!
User avatar
lexlazootin
 
Posts: 1251
Joined: 16 Dec 2014, 02:57

Re: Visiting CES 2018

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 13 Jan 2018, 23:09

Xx123456xX wrote:Chief, were you able check out cameras? Were you able to get any info out of Panasonic regarding the possibility of real-time 120fps in the GH5/GH5S and/or future GH cameras?

I visited Panasonic which was a massive booth, but there was a MASSIVE crowd which made it hard to spend more than a few minutes talking to Panasonic. Then CES 2018 had a power blackout, thanks to unusual floods & rain in Las Vegas. So I had to leave the place to head to Wynn/Encore to visit ASUS (thankfully, the Vegas rain slowed to a drizzle). So, not much content on Panasonic this year from me --

Very nice camera! The EVF refreshes at 120fps and it can be able to record 120fps realtime (not slomo). That's all I can confirm from the brief info I managed to glean. I wasn't able to confirm if it was the full 4K rez at 120fps.

That said, some YouTubes are out by others:

phpBB [video]


Now...that was one really rainy first day at CES 2018. I have never seen Las Vegas ever rain before, and it rained so much for 24 hours. Quite unusual.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors
User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6250
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44

Re: Visiting CES 2018

Postby Xx123456xX » 14 Jan 2018, 08:08

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Xx123456xX wrote:Chief, were you able check out cameras? Were you able to get any info out of Panasonic regarding the possibility of real-time 120fps in the GH5/GH5S and/or future GH cameras?

I visited Panasonic which was a massive booth, but there was a MASSIVE crowd which made it hard to spend more than a few minutes talking to Panasonic. Then CES 2018 had a power blackout, thanks to unusual floods & rain in Las Vegas. So I had to leave the place to head to Wynn/Encore to visit ASUS (thankfully, the Vegas rain slowed to a drizzle). So, not much content on Panasonic this year from me --

Very nice camera! The EVF refreshes at 120fps and it can be able to record 120fps realtime (not slomo). That's all I can confirm from the brief info I managed to glean. I wasn't able to confirm if it was the full 4K rez at 120fps.

That said, some YouTubes are out by others:

phpBB [video]


Now...that was one really rainy first day at CES 2018. I have never seen Las Vegas ever rain before, and it rained so much for 24 hours. Quite unusual.


Thanks! The real-time 120fps part has me quite excited, as does the 120Hz viewfinder (though this aspect isn't new, I believe several Sony and Olympus models also have this). Rumors have said that the sensor is capable of 4K 120fps, but I doubt that the camera is capable of using this, unless in short bursts. What I really hope is Panasonic has options for both exact 120fps and double NTSC 119.88fps, in addition to 100fps, which is what I suggested on the Panasonic website. I also hope the 120fps isn't limited to 420 8-bit.

Now the wait for real-time 240fps production begins.
Xx123456xX
 
Posts: 33
Joined: 03 Dec 2016, 16:03
Location: Houston, TX

PreviousNext

Return to News / Rumors / Conventions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests