Nvidia Introduces 65-inch "Big Format Gaming Displays"

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
jorimt

Nvidia Introduces 65-inch "Big Format Gaming Displays"

Post by jorimt » 08 Jan 2018, 10:35

I suppose the delay on those 4k/144Hz FALD HDR G-SYNC displays could be considered worth it, if this has been the hold up:
https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/artic ... ng-display

(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Nvidia Introduces 65-inch "Big Format Gaming Displays"

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Jan 2018, 11:45

This is fantastic news, indeed.

I really hope that these BFGD displays have ULMB support. Even if it's 100Hz ULMB (you need refresh rate headroom due to the need for large VBIs).
EDIT: Or use the FALD as a scanning backlight. That eliminates the need for large VBI, you'd be able to do 120Hz ULMB.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 08 Jan 2018, 12:18

Yeah... that's kind of... too big for me. These don't look like they're supposed to be used as monitors. These are for couch gaming.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Jan 2018, 12:26

RealNC wrote:Yeah... that's kind of... too big for me. These don't look like they're supposed to be used as monitors. These are for couch gaming.
Come on, respect! Wink, wink -- I'm hoping to see NVIDIA to check these displays out, and ask them _very_ nicely for a sample to test with. ;)

Anyway, I am really looking forward to checking these out here at CES 2018. The BFGD news is up on Blur Busters (went to bed just BEFORE hearing these news -- still jetlagged).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 08 Jan 2018, 13:00

RealNC wrote:Yeah... that's kind of... too big for me. These don't look like they're supposed to be used as monitors. These are for couch gaming.
Yes, no doubt these are targeted to TV users in a living room space, but that's not a bad thing; VRR was already headed to TVs, Nvidia is just accelerating its arrival.

And besides, the 27" versions (or something smaller than 65") are probably still going to release alongside these.

The real question is, at 65", how expensive are these going to be, and is the quality control (imagine shipping 65" replacements back and forth), contrast ratio, features, and non-gaming performance (mixed media, movies, etc) on these BFG sets going to be competitive with equivalent high-end television sets?

If they make these BFG displays too pricey, I can't see how they'd even appeal to the "couch gamer" who will otherwise purchase an all purpose high-end TV with similar specs, so it will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Promising regardless.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

darzo

Post by darzo » 08 Jan 2018, 14:09

This can't be the hold-up for 4k/144Hz FALD HDR G-SYNC displays. These people are pretty shameless when it comes to spacing things out so that they make more money. I presume the 27-inch gaming monitors from last year are at this show as well or? Production for them should've started in November so they will come several months before these BFGDs.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 08 Jan 2018, 15:20

65-inch is very big, if i remember correctly 55-inch is the most popular size. I'm very happy to see a "TV" that is more of a monitor so we don't have to deal with the Latency and 60hz with interpolation and backlight flickering :x

When even I'm playing a console game at someone's house and I'm getting 100ms+~ worth of latency :? it makes me so sick and it feels so uncomfortable. One of the biggest things will be i won't have to silently scream when someone puts on a 24fps movie on a 60hz display and get terrible jittering on panning shots now :lol:

Buying for TVs is a mess ATM, this makes me very happy.

Vega

Post by Vega » 09 Jan 2018, 12:37

65 inch? Hardly any PC gamer's I know use a couch. Some incredibly obvious FALD blooming on bright objects too as seen in the Linus video.

Glide

Post by Glide » 10 Jan 2018, 07:27

Vega wrote:65 inch? Hardly any PC gamer's I know use a couch. Some incredibly obvious FALD blooming on bright objects too as seen in the Linus video.
Yeah, this is too big. Should have been 46" at most for a 4K large-format monitor.
Not only does the local dimming look bad, it’s a VA panel and it looked like it was running in 6-bit color in the LTT video. Severe posterization in the shadows.

idred

Post by idred » 10 Jan 2018, 20:34

I'm also surprised they went with 65". I have a LG 42.5" 4K monitor and that works really well with 4K. But you would really want to keep it away from you and not so close.

65" is really big, this is more for if you are sitting on the couch. I believe this 65" is not for sitting on a desk.