JOLED to develop high-end OLED gaming monitors

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
life_at_1ms

Re: JOLED to develop high-end OLED gaming monitors

Post by life_at_1ms » 29 Aug 2020, 12:14

Still not possible to get 120hz+ OLED in a laptop display? Is this a physical limit with the technology or what?

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 04 Sep 2020, 19:24

There are OLED 120Hz in mobile phone and TV, of course they can do it also for laptop and pc gaming monitors.

I think they are afraid of burn-in, but the burn-in wear with OLED gaming is assumible in mobile, is the same for PC.

If OLED warranty say "Not cover burn-in", manufacturer is away from complains about. Let users choice IPS or OLED like in mobile gaming.

Some players play with ugly LCD overshot artifacts or crosstalk, is assumed to get speed or motion smoothness. Burn-in can be also assumed in order to get more speed than TN and better image quality than IPS.

When MicroLED arrive, maybe burn-in is fixed or very high reduced the wear speed.

Hope JOLED and LG join to eSports 1000Hz race soon.

Joel D

Post by Joel D » 25 Sep 2020, 15:51

So when is this thing coming out ? Its been 3 years.

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 26 Sep 2020, 08:26

Burn-in worry a lot manufacturers, low brightness also, more brightness = more burn. It seems that nobody wants to take the final step.

COVID-19 = hibernated projects, people in danger, delays.

Samsung is developing MicroLED TV 75", it looks like it will be released this year. This technology is better than OLED in quality and speed, say experts than have see it, but without organic leds, so in teory like LCD in terms of burn-in, i hope so.

If Samsung want, we can have in (two years ?) the first MicroLED monitor made of only one panel, not several attached like this huge TV.

Maybe even before are released the OLED ones, at the rate LG/JOLED seems go to Desktop goal... i wouldn't be surprised at all than one Samsung Oddisey MicroLED arrives first and conquest the high end monitor market.

supertoast

Post by supertoast » 26 Sep 2020, 13:05

Those MicroLED displays from Samsung & LG cost a fortune, far beyond anything a regular person can afford and completely unsuitable for mass manufacturing. 10 years is a far more likely time frame for miniaturization of MicroLED and then mass manufacturing. HDTV-Test offers some insight on this but I recall 2 years ago a Samsung rep saying the time frame on MicroLED was 2-9 years which was a major warning sign.

This is why Samsung is now focusing on QNED and QD-OLED to dig itself out of a hole after making promises on MicroLED it could never deliver on.

As for small OLED monitors, this recently appeared its a 15" AMOLED display , clearly one of the panels being used in laptops packaged as a 4K 60hz portable monitor, not a gaming display but still interesting none the less given how rare OLED is for small PC monitors.

It seems JOLED is still having significant problems with its manufacturing process, only 500 panels were made for the EIZO Foris Nova PC monitor and those have a price tag of over 4800 euros.

I think mini-LED is the only near term improvement to existing LCD displays the average person will be able to get their hands on.

Joel D

Post by Joel D » 26 Sep 2020, 13:09

Thanks for the info guys. So I guess MicroLED is not only better, but most likely the next thing.

I been hearing about MicroLED for a while too. Jesus, these things take too long. If this doesn't come out in the next few months, I really might just need to get the smallest 4k OLED made, or the best 4K VA panel I can find. But that's another thread.
(just let down by the visual quality of TN and IPS - need something better, something 4k willing to drop to 120hz to do so but need it in monitor size 32")

Joel D

Post by Joel D » 26 Sep 2020, 13:24

supertoast wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 13:05

I think mini-LED is the only near term improvement to existing LCD displays the average person will be able to get their hands on.
Dang ! even more grim news, lol

Mini LED according to google search is MicroLED. So ... ? I'm a bit confused here.

I thought Chief said that some real exciting things were about to be released ? He been to some events I think where he learned this.
I honestly am happy with speed just the way it is 120-240. If they'd stop freaking out over that, maybe they could deliver us better looking monitors for decent prices. Concentrate on quality first, then bring the speeds up to that. Not the other way around.

supertoast

Post by supertoast » 27 Sep 2020, 03:34

mini-LED is basically local dimming for existing LCD's, it can improve contrast and brightness. Though a lot depends on the algorithm used by the display maker to make the most of the mini-LED system.

There are some mini-LED laptops on the market and PC monitors for professional usage, also some possible gaming monitors too.

https://blurbusters.com/huaweis-entry-i ... l-dimming/

Back to OLED talk

There is speculation Samsung is working on 8k QD-OLED 32" PC gaming monitors but that seems dubious to me

https://www.oled-info.com/samsung-start ... produce-qd

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 27 Sep 2020, 07:39

In winter start DisplayPort 2.0 party, enought bandwith for 8K 60Hz 10bits RGB uncompressed. There are possibilities that this info would be right, and some manufacturers are now doing projects.

If Samsung release 27" 32" QD-OLED 8K monitors, and its a gaming monitor, they should also add high quality lagless integer scaling, to offer users the possibility of change to lower resolutions with much higher frequency. Ability to adapt monitor to game type. If is only 60Hz, is not a serious gaming monitor.

Using integer scaling over 4320p is very interesting, with 2x2 native pixels we can get native 2160p resolution, 100% interpolation free, perfectly sharp. 3x3 1440p, 4x4 1080p 6x6 720p. Is mandatory include this scaling in 4K and 8K monitors, to made it more versatile. Eve monitors plan do it.

I don't like curved screen. The vast majority of gamers don't like curved screen. Samsung should think about this, if they want maximize sales, add flat version of its 16:9 monitors would be great.

About Samsung 75" 4K MicroLED TV prototype, have pixel size 0.37mm aproximately, but using several low resolution panels attached toghether. Seems a lot of ~640x360 16:9 pieces. Is good to have ability to change aspect ratio maintaining the size. But for monitor, from image quality viewpoint, "attach" not seems good, i think will cause a small gap betwhen they, and eye sure can see it. Like CRT aperture grille support lines. Bad for color uniformity with light colors.

27" FHD panel = 0.31mm, is not far to arrive, at least in pixel size, maybe increase panel size without pixel fault is the challenge.

Price will be high, but for 27" much less than 75"+ I think can have high end monitor market. Imagine one 25 or 27" MicroLED FHD 360Hz or more with DP 2.0 for eSports, much more fast GtG than TN, better image quality than IPS MiniLED, pure blacks, less energy consuption than OLED, HDR 1000+ , no burn-in or much less than OLED, rolling scan like OLED to strobing without crosstalk. One "Diamond" for fast paced FPS players.

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 27 Sep 2020, 12:20

HDTVTest LG MicroLED 165"

phpBB [video]

Screen technologies expert Vincent Teoh talk about OLED and MicroLED. Explanation of how MicroLED is manufactured, pick and place one by one each led on subtrate, current low yield rates, far from mainstream by price and sizes.

For example this LG uses modules of 640x360 with 0.90mm pixel size, and it talk about visible lines betwhen attached modules :(

It say than reduce pixel size is the current challenge, but there are one video with JBD MicroLED prototype with 10.000 pixels/inch !

phpBB [video]

So, if is not possible miniaturize it, how this prototipe do it at this extreme low size 0.0025mm :?: