Modern tech journalism

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Modern tech journalism

Post by RealNC » 01 Oct 2018, 05:21

LOL. That was seriously bad. When they tested with a high speed camera, one would assume they'd do that to test if there's any VRR going on, not just tearing. You don't need a high speed cam to check for tearing; you have your eyes for that.

Even the title was weird. "TR's FreeSync monitors." Is TR a manufacturer that makes monitors?
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

zivko

Post by zivko » 06 Dec 2018, 01:15

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/29/181 ... tor-review
What a waste it was giving the monitor to that reviewer

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 06 Dec 2018, 01:27

zivko wrote:https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/29/181 ... tor-review
What a waste it was giving the monitor to that reviewer
Isn't that the same people who did that now infamous "PC build" a while ago? These people are simply not qualified to do any of this :-/
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Dec 2018, 03:19

They have their target audience different from Blur Busters -- more mainstream -- so the Verge article cater to the audience they're writing to. The editor subheadline is a little baity ("Is there any reason to buy a 240Hz monitor?") -- but oftentimes that's the master editor's choosing rather than the article writer's (Sometimes to the article writer's chagrin!).

There are good points at the end like "...provided you have a graphics card capable of hitting these kinds of frame rates, of course." which is a pretty reasonable thing to say for 240Hz monitors. There's more acknowledgement of 240Hz benefits within that article than the subheading.

So I shall let that one slide -- it's the "There's zero benefit to "X Hz" articles" and the "1000Hz is useless" and the "Humans can't see X frames per second" that I reserve my true disdain for. The science is more complicated (blur effects, stroboscopic effets, etc) than just that.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!