First sub 1ms monitors are comming out

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
open

First sub 1ms monitors are comming out

Post by open » 21 Nov 2018, 10:34

https://acerjapan.com/monitor/gaming/kg1/KG251QIbmiipx

They have a 240hz 24.5" with 0.5ms and a 240hz 27" with 0.8ms. Unconfirmed but they may support freesync vrr. Not sure about strobing / blur reduction mode yet.

dogroll

Re: First sub 1ms monitors are comming out

Post by dogroll » 22 Nov 2018, 08:18

Is the XG248Q using one of these newer panels with the superior response time?

open

Post by open » 22 Nov 2018, 10:53

All of the ones I have seen have the prefix KG251Q with one more letter at the end or KG271 with one more letter at the end.

It looks like they are not out yet they just have the japanese pages showing sub 1ms response times. Dont be confused by the KG251Q it appears to be a 1ms monitor. Hopefully the new ones will be avaliable for sale by the end of the year with other manufacturers releaseing models soon as well.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Nov 2018, 14:28

One big question I have is.... the quality of overdrive tuning in the first series of monitors.

Simple stuff like "OD Gain" is just not enough nowadays and monitors need full bona-fide overdrive lookup tables (LUTs) since simple gain curves aren't enough anymore in the Hertz stratosphere.

Blur Busters is doing some research on this including experiments with software-based overdrive on the Zisworks 480Hz mode and it appears further motion clarity improvements is possible with the addition of software overdrive test pattern tests. Example -- think of ATI Radeon Overdrive as a reimplementation, and applied into a test pattern displayed on the Zisworks 28" display -- it actually improved the motion clarity of 480Hz even further.

It's quite apparent that more custom overdrive lookup tables begin to be required at 240Hz+ and especially 480Hz. Manufacturers and scaler vendors have to go beyond the simple "overdrive gain" adjustments common in most of them.

Good overdrive tuning becomes harder at these Hertz stratospheres. But, LUT-based overdrive tuning is superior to OD-gain-based overdrive tuning at these refresh-rate stratospheres. However, even the 240Hz monitors are still using simple "OD gain" adjustments which is not enough to fix 100% of ghosting nowadays, and panel manufacturers need to transition to "OD LUTs" as the overdrive technique instead. OD LUTs also happen to be superior for reducing strobe crosstalk in strobed modes too as well. It's possible to also concurrently combine OD gain in addition to OD LUTs as a biasing factor.

I may not be a manufacturer but I have gained a lot of new overdrive tuning experience, and it's surprising how many manufacturers (including AUO) are still using inferior overdrive algorithms as the lowest common denominator.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

open

Post by open » 24 Nov 2018, 10:53

Wow I had no idea. If you asked me to guess I would say that alot of the high end monitors would use look up tables. Thats too bad. We need to start thinking about quality and one way to improve the situation is educating consumers. If my monitor is using static od boost that means it could have been significantly better for not that much more money.

The only reason not to do this is because nobody understands it.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Nov 2018, 12:05

A few do use LUTs. From the test patterns I see NVIDIA and Samsung has got to be using OD LUTs. Their overdrive is good on many models.

It is also the nicheness of it all. Some monitor models sell only 1000 units worldwide in its entire lifetime. The race to the bottom has caused the simplification to OD Gain. Saves OD tuning time. And even most blur reduction modes are good enough with just OD Gain when simply using large blanking intervals (big vertical totals) for panels that are capable (FreeSync made that easier, too).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

frunction

Post by frunction » 26 Nov 2018, 18:09

I wonder if the 1440p 240hz and 200hz ultrawides will arrive in my lifetime.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 01 Dec 2018, 11:54

edited
Last edited by Notty_PT on 09 Dec 2018, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.

zivko

Post by zivko » 06 Dec 2018, 01:10

Why glossy panel? Personal preference or is there some technical reason why its better?

yehaw

Post by yehaw » 07 Dec 2018, 12:52

Looks like they're being advertised as 1ms now and no longer 0.5ms :

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-oculux ... BPyHrpAgBw

And as expected, way overpriced. I don't see many people buying this when you can get 240hz panels for $250-$300.