First 1440p 240hz monitor! Lenovo Y27gq

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
Methanhydrat

Re: First 1440p 240hz monitor! Lenovo Y27gq

Post by Methanhydrat » 20 Oct 2019, 18:55

BlurBoss wrote:Methanhydrat, that's a great review! Thank you very much for that. Lenovo Y27gq-25 is amazing monitor indeed! It doesn't come close to long awaited heavily advertised "1ms" LG 27GL850 in terms of picture quality and motion handling. I'm going to try out Lenovo Y27gq-20 next week. I really miss OSD crosshairs on that monitor and ULMB. Maybe at least future HP Omen X27 would have that? Vega said that they are using the same panel, but I see listings on another site are different:
Lenovo Legion Y27GQ - 27” 1440p 240Hz 0.5ms G-SYNC
HP Omen X27 - 27” 1440p 240Hz 1ms 90% DCI-P3, HDR, FreeSync 2
Methanhydrat, since you play Rainbow Six: Siege at 120 Hz and Quake Live at ~237 Hz (you enabled G-Sync, right?) do you see increased lag in R6 compared to QL? Any disadvantages sticking with 120 Hz mentioned in this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4914 ? Please keep us posted, I would really love to read about your thoughts on the monitor in 1 week, 1 month and 1 year (or 6 months:)).
I actually looked into that thread some time before I ordered the Y27GQ, but completely forgot about it until now. Of course I can only answer this questions with the very limited point of view of having one monitor for two days, compared to Notty's experience of trying several ones over the course of two years. However, much of what I am about to say is also true for my previous 144hz monitor. This is also not a simple question, so bear with me.

To be honest, the discussion was actually a little surprising to me. Maybe I am missing something, but for me, wanting 240hz primarily for the reduced input lag is actually a non-starter to begin with. Let's assume a variable refresh rate, so we can use the term refresh rate basically synonymously with frame rate. Then it is of course true, that theoretically the total input lag should be lower when having a higher refresh rate, because you are probably getting frames from the game engine that include more recent input information in shorter intervals. So with 240hz vs 144hz, you can get a new frame every ~4.2ms instead of every ~6.9ms, which would amount to an identical difference in total input lag, provided everything else (including the input lag of the monitor itself) stays the same.

This means, that the entire discussion is only about the ~2.8ms difference per frame of the total input lag, because all other parts of the total input lag are actually mostly unaffected by the refresh rate. Even though this is an oversimplification and there are some complex interactions between the refresh rate and what is visible on the screen, it can even in theory not be much more than that. So for the refresh rate to be relevant, these ~2.8ms actually have to be a significant chunk of the total input lag that is occurring in all the many different layers of software and hardware that are involved in you moving the mouse to something happening on the screen. And even then you actually have to be sensitive enough to even notice the difference.

I am really sensitive to input lag myself, up to a point where I don't even find certain games enjoyable when the input is not responsive enough. And in the vast majority of cases, it is the game itself that is causing the most significant part of the delay. If, for example, a game engine is collecting the input in a separate thread, and is always only one frame late in synchronizing the input data with the main thread, we are already talking about a bigger difference in felt input lag than the entire theoretical difference between 144hz and 240hz. And this is in addition to a lot of visual trickery modern games may do, that might cause input changes to not actually affect the very next frame that is displayed.

Now, I think the discussion was actually a little more broad and about the question of whether 240hz really help you to aim better. And I think this is true, but I would say mainly because of the higher precision and image clarity and less because of the input lag. And how big this effect really is, is probably also highly subjective.

So, to make a long answer short, I think that I do feel less input lag in 240hz Quake Live compared to 120hz Rainbow Six: Siege, but the difference is so minor, that I am not sure I could distinguish it reliably in a "blind" (:D) test. I also don't think it is relevant for the question of whether 240hz is worth it, because in my opinion the benefits lie somewhere else entirely.

Personally, I am after high refresh rates for two reasons: smoothness and motion clarity. These are visual properties that, albeit not being entirely unrelated, do not have anything to with input on their own. The fact that I cannot reach 240hz in most games does not really bother me, because I see it more as a potential than something that I have to reach every time. For me, the beauty of having variable refresh rates, such as with G-Sync, is that I can work with the maximal performance I get out of a game. When beginning a new game, I just have to play around a little to determine which frame rates my PC can handle reliably and then just use a corresponding frame rate lock to ensure that everything is stable. Provided they use proper engines, this leads to input lags that feel very consistent between the games, despite potential differences in frame rates. So if a game runs really well, I am happy that I can enjoy something buttery smooth, otherwise, if it is not too bad, I will just settle for something a little less amazing.

To reiterate something that I said before, one of the reasons I really like this monitor is that even though the low reaction times really shine on high frame rates, they also increase motion clarity on lower ones.

Regarding the HP Omen X27 I am also kind of curious. Posts from when it was announced make it seem as if it is using the same panel, but I could actually find very little information about it at all.

BlurBoss

Post by BlurBoss » 21 Oct 2019, 02:12

Methanhydrat wrote: So, to make a long answer short, I think that I do feel less input lag in 240hz Quake Live compared to 120hz Rainbow Six: Siege, but the difference is so minor, that I am not sure I could distinguish it reliably in a "blind" (:D) test.
Actually that what I felt with that monitor too. There was a difference in input lag but it was so low, that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference in the blind test. If our feelings are right that this monitor has low input lag and good overdrive at 120Hz too, but we really need some one to test and verify this.
However that is not the case with BenQ XL2456@240Hz+DyAc vs Viewsonic XG240R@144Hz, I could clearly see increased input lag BenQ XL2456@240Hz+DyAc. So my experience with BenQ was: my eyes hurt, my mouse stutters yet I can see everything when holding down the trigger resulting in amazing compensation of automatic fire spray, I can just see every bullet impact at 800 RPM shots and anticipate where my crosshair would shake after next shot, I can learn recoil patterns and compensate easily. Yet with Viewsonic - very pleasant gaming, easy on the eyes, mouse movements are always consistent, yet everything is blurry, while mouse is more responsive (clearly see less input lag) + more enjoyful, I can't see what the hell is going on in dynamic scenes, but my god, if I decide to prefire or do a flick shot, no one can stop me (but can hide in the recoil shake and muzzle flashes).
Lenovo Y27gq-25 has the best of both, while having amazing picture quality and no ULMB.
BenQ XL2546, i9-9900K @ 5.0 GHz, RTX 2080 Ti, 32GB (2 x 16GB) 3200 MHz CL14 RAM, Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac.

Stitch7

Post by Stitch7 » 25 Oct 2019, 04:00

BlurBoss wrote:Honestly, out of all the monitors I've tested (including 144 Hz 4K IPS) Lenovo Y27gq-25 showed the best picture quality! It shows as little motion blur as 1080p 0.5 ms screens (without ULMB). The most pleasant monitor to game on!
According to you this is also the best monitor.
XN253Q Pbmiprzx.
No offense but get yourself together.

BlurBoss

Post by BlurBoss » 25 Oct 2019, 06:52

Stitch7 wrote:
BlurBoss wrote:Honestly, out of all the monitors I've tested (including 144 Hz 4K IPS) Lenovo Y27gq-25 showed the best picture quality! It shows as little motion blur as 1080p 0.5 ms screens (without ULMB). The most pleasant monitor to game on!
XN253Q Pbmiprzx.
Thanks for the kind wishes and following my opinions! And I wish you attentiveness to check dates of the messages.
They are both the best in my opinion, but for different games (activities).
BenQ XL2546, i9-9900K @ 5.0 GHz, RTX 2080 Ti, 32GB (2 x 16GB) 3200 MHz CL14 RAM, Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac.

Stitch7

Post by Stitch7 » 25 Oct 2019, 07:15

BlurBoss wrote:
Stitch7 wrote:
XN253Q Pbmiprzx.
Thanks for the kind wishes and following my opinions! And I wish you attentiveness to check dates of the messages.
You claimed a 1440p TN panel has better picture quality than a 4k IPS panel. I get that you like this monitor, but there is a limit. I don't want to turn this into an argument. Maybe I have misunderstood you, but that is physically impossible.

BlurBoss

Post by BlurBoss » 25 Oct 2019, 08:11

Stitch7 wrote:
BlurBoss wrote:
Stitch7 wrote:
XN253Q Pbmiprzx.
You claimed a 1440p TN panel has better picture quality than a 4k IPS panel. I get that you like this monitor, but there is a limit. I don't want to turn this into an argument. Maybe I have misunderstood you, but that is physically impossible.
After using Acer Nitro XV273KP (4K IPS), LG 27GL850G-B, Lenovo y27gq-25 I do claim Lenovo y27gq-25 has the best picture quality out of these 3 monitors. I don't have any measurements or proof and never claimed otherwise, but I do stand by my claim and would only care to pay attention if a person would provide measurements or used one of the monitors himself, "physically impossible" argument holds no value to me other than that some person shared his misconception.

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 26 Oct 2019, 14:50

BlurBoss... just stop.
Discord | Youtube | Twitch
Steam with a list of monitors & mice I've used/use.

Stitch7

Post by Stitch7 » 26 Oct 2019, 17:24

A Solid lad wrote:BlurBoss... just stop.
Facts are wrong, he is right. Stop provoking.

Vega

Post by Vega » 27 Oct 2019, 00:58

I've actually had the Acer Nitro XV273KP, tons of IPS glow and BLB. The IPS glow is so bad it drastically reduces the perceived contrast ratio in normal viewing conditions. That high refresh 4K/27" IPS panel is only good with a FALD behind it.

BlurBoss

Post by BlurBoss » 27 Oct 2019, 04:16

Vega wrote:I've actually had the Acer Nitro XV273KP, tons of IPS glow and BLB. The IPS glow is so bad it drastically reduces the perceived contrast ratio in normal viewing conditions. That high refresh 4K/27" IPS panel is only good with a FALD behind it.
Rtings had put up their review of HP OMEN X 27, but it doesn't look like they use the same panel as Lenovo Y27gq. For one, SDR Peak Brightness measured is 306 cd/m², while Lenovo Y27gq-25 that I had showed at least 450 cd/m². The also mention mediocre contrast, which doesn't seem to be the case with Lenovo Y27gq-25.