First 1440p 240hz monitor! Lenovo Y27gq

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
Stitch7

Re: First 1440p 240hz monitor! Lenovo Y27gq

Post by Stitch7 » 05 Dec 2019, 16:50

What refresh rate did you set your monitor to in the osd

uppe

Post by uppe » 05 Dec 2019, 17:14

Stitch7 wrote:
05 Dec 2019, 16:50
What refresh rate did you set your monitor to in the osd
There are no options for refresh rate settings in the monitor osd.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Dec 2019, 17:21

Refresh rate settings are a computer responsibility, and the monitor automatically accepts the refresh rate.

In some monitors, there are indeed options to set maximum allowed refresh rates. However, these simply make a high-Hz monitor behave like a lower-Hz monitor for example. Or is an overclocking unlocker, to allow your computer to attempt to send higher Hz successfully.

But not all monitors have these settings.

The way it works is that the the computer always controls the Hz.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Stitch7

Post by Stitch7 » 05 Dec 2019, 17:55

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
05 Dec 2019, 17:21
Refresh rate settings are a computer responsibility, and the monitor automatically accepts the refresh rate.

In some monitors, there are indeed options to set maximum allowed refresh rates. However, these simply make a high-Hz monitor behave like a lower-Hz monitor for example. Or is an overclocking unlocker, to allow your computer to attempt to send higher Hz successfully.

But not all monitors have these settings.

The way it works is that the the computer always controls the Hz.
I do know that. I wanted to know what would happen if he set the maximum refresh rate to 180 or 144. On my old monitor I was not able to use 1080p 75 which is why i tried setting it to 60 or to 30. Windows still only showed 24,which was weird. then I set it to 60 unplugged it and somehow it works now. Ive tried 75, but I play r6 at 120 fps can't hit 150, and RL at 240,225 would be a downgrade.

Edit: 6" lcd is not good for typing.
Last edited by Stitch7 on 06 Dec 2019, 11:04, edited 1 time in total.

uppe

Post by uppe » 06 Dec 2019, 08:50

So I guess I may have received a faulty monitor... NVIDIA has been helping me troubleshoot the issue, and after 48 hours here's their verdict.
Thank you for the update. On checking the details, the issue seems specifically on your monitor or the cable itself. The graphic or the motherboard will not limit the refresh rate.

Best Regards,
Syed
NVIDIA Customer Care.
Now I have to get Lenovo's attention and possibly return this big hunk of metal. I would have tried a different GPU if I had the possibility, but unfortunately I have no newer one and to make matters worse I have hard tubing watercooling in my rig, so it makes swapping cards a bigger project than I had planned for right now.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Dec 2019, 11:44

Providing a link to this forum can be useful — to help give them some context of what’s going on. It’s a great monitor (Vega likes it, after all) and merits a good troubleshoot by Lenovo, now that NVIDIA has confirmed.

Idea — Test a different GPU anyway if you can borrow and add a 2nd GPU temporarily to your PC. That way, you don’t need to remove your water cooling stuff.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Spieler4

Post by Spieler4 » 07 Dec 2019, 08:12

Had this monitor for some days now
8700K, GTX 1080, Win 7, Nvidia driver 388.00. 240Hz looks and feels Nice. Blur Buster tests Ok
Upgrading monitor from 27" Asus144Hz gsync 2014 model.
Gsync dosent work anymore. As I understand this monitor have a newer gsync version and I should probaly upgrade the Nvidia driver.
If so. Which Driver version is the earliest to support this gsync version ?

Fifagi

Post by Fifagi » 09 Feb 2020, 11:17

Methanhydrat wrote:
20 Oct 2019, 09:51
For a TL;DR jump to the conclusion at the bottom.

I got the monitor yesterday and spent a decent amount of time trying it out in several different games. I could only get the variant with speakers and paid roughly a 1000 Euros, including VAT. Below are my initial impressions. Please bear in mind that because this is my first modern TN panel, I cannot really say anything about the difference to other high-end monitors with low response times. Also, even though I would consider myself an enthusiast, I am by no means up-to-date on all the technical aspects of current panels. So expect this to be a less technical and more practical description.

I will primarily compare the monitor to the ASUS ROG PG279Q, which I have used for the past few years.

Unboxing And Assembly

The monitor came in a very simple brown box, as they are typical for many Lenovo products. I found it kind of pleasant that they completely refrained from using all typical hallmarks that are usually present everywhere to show that something is indeed a Gaming product made for serious Gamers. This is also true for the monitor itself, which has a very nice simple and sleek design. The build quality is also excellent. While other monitors like the PG279Q often have stands made out of a lot of plastic, the Y27GQ comes with a sturdy metal one, which makes this thing stand rock solid on the desk. Unfortunately, the stand is so big, that I had to move the monitor back a little, because it didn't quite work with my previous setup.

The assembly was simple and included nothing out of the ordinary. I would like it though, if more manufactures would use an approach similar to the PG279Q, where the monitor can be stored in the box without the need for any assembly at all.

Setup

I initially had some trouble getting the colors to not look weird. The original configuration was too bright for my taste and showed a somewhat washed out image. I then tried the "Relative Gamma" setting with a value of +0.3, which brought the image a lot closer to the PG279Q. I am pretty sure this is still not optimal yet and with a little bit more tuning may even surpass the ASUS monitor in terms of colors. This was the point where I definitely wished that there was a proper review with recommended settings, done by people who know what they are doing. For the PG279Q I just used a tweaked set of settings from the TFTCentral review and it looked great.

The OSD is controlled by the typical four buttons in front of the bezel, which are definitely a lot more fiddly to use than the little joystick on the back of the PG279Q. Although you usually don't use the OSD that much after the initial setup anyway, it still is a step down from the ASUS monitor in this regard.

Another problem was that Windows did not provide a proper driver for the monitor out of the box and instead detected it as a 'Generic PnP Monitor', which prevented G-Sync from being turned on in the Nvidia control panel. Contrary to the PG279Q, where the usage of G-Sync is shown by the red power LED, with the Y27GQ you have ensure that the the OSD indeed shows 'Nvidia G-SYNC MODE' instead of 'Normal Mode'. However, this was easily fixed by manually installing the official driver from the Lenovo page here.

Game Impressions

After fixing the colors, the first game I tried was Quake Live, and yes, this is a new level of smooth! Playing it at a perfectly capped frame rate close to 240 is just an awesome experience. The PG279Q is already a great monitor, but here you can clearly see the differences in reaction time and refresh rate. Where before on fast turns enemies would turn into a green blur, now they remain crisp and clearly distinguishable from the background. As great as it is, I have to stress though, that for a game with simple visuals, such as Quake, there really is no "magical" experience. If you already have a decent 144hz monitor, you can somewhat extrapolate what you would get with the Y27GQ.

Another game that I was really looking forward to try out was Rainbow Six: Siege. Because I didn't get to upgrade my CPU yet, I have this currently locked to 120 FPS and I was really curious to see how much games benefit from the faster panel when not taking advantage of the 240hz refresh rate. And damn, this is where it is obvious that the quality differences are not just because of the higher refresh rate of the Y27GQ alone. Since there is a lot more graphical detail in Siege compared to Quake, the difference in clarity is much more apparent. Textures, objects and enemies that used to be blurry when running and peeking around corners are now crisp and easy to distinguish from the environment. It is also way easier to follow what is going on when multiple things happen at the same time. Additionally, the game also feels a lot smoother, despite running on the same frame rate as before. Overall, this is a significant improvement both from a visual as well from a gameplay point of view.

I also tested multiple other games, which showed a similar improvement in quality.

Just out of curiosity, I also tried a little bit of Ion Fury. Funnily enough, the modified Build engine of that game has trouble maintaining a stable frame rate above 170 on my system. I want to say that even this kind of game benefits from the screen, because it makes the pixel art style more clear, but to be honest I am not sure without having a direct comparison. But it definitely also looked great.

The Speakers

I didn't pay much attention to the speakers at all before ordering and expected them to be integrated ones, similar to many other monitors. However, the speakers are actually part of a separate module, which has a gap in the middle so it can be assembled to the bottom of the stand. Using the module is entirely optional and the package also includes a cap to close the top opening, so the module can be used as a stand-alone. Contrary to what I assumed, the module does not use the DP or HDMI audio signal, instead it has to be connected to the monitor, which then has to be connected to the PC via USB. This is because the module is actually a dedicated USB sound card, including a headphone jack.

Since the speakers of most monitors, including the ones from the PG279Q, are usually terrible, I was kind of astonished to find out that these ones are actually quite decent and deliver clear audio up to a comparatively high volume, albeit being a little weak on the bass side. This was a very pleasant surprise, since there are some occasions from time to time where I can't or don't want to use headphones. Whether they are really worth what Lenovo charges extra though is hard to say.

The Fan

Finally, I have to somewhat disagree in regards to the noise of the fan, which for me is clearly noticeable and, in my opinion, is the main downside of the Y27GQ. Even though I don't have a silent setup, it definitely exceeds the noise of my PC when on the desktop. If you are a person that is sensitive to noise, this might be a deal breaker for you.

However, when gaming, the noise actually blends in with everything else that is coming from the PC and is much less obvious. Additionally, since the kind of PC that is able to take full advantage of this monitor is difficult to get silent anyway, I think most people interested in it will not be bothered by it too much. Still, I wouldn't might if they were able to mitigate the issue at least a little bit.

Conclusion

I was looking for an upgrade in terms of image clarity and reduction in blurriness, while not losing too much in terms of colors compared to the PG279Q. I also wanted to keep the WQHD resolution, which pretty much ruled out most/all previous monitors in this category, which were usually restricted to 1080p and/or 144hz. In this regard, the Y27GQ is definitely an improvement on all fronts. The fan noise is a bummer, but I think I can live with it considering the benefits of the screen.

Have you had problems with HDR?

I've monitor Y27gq-25 and rtx 2080ti...
But i've i try Call Of Duty MW 2019 whit HDR,
when I change the volume and appears overlay volume the monitor go black...

I've another problem whit Battlefiled V and AC Odyssey: when i play, whit HDR set ON, it's egual to SDR, and when I change the volume and appears overlay volume the image turns into HDR (but with wrong colors)...when overlay go away, the game turn like SDR image

The problem is the Monitor or Windows 10 hdr ?

Thanks

exodus1337

Post by exodus1337 » 15 Feb 2020, 04:06

I've another problem whit Battlefiled V and AC Odyssey: when i play, whit HDR set ON, it's egual to SDR, and when I change the volume and appears overlay volume the image turns into HDR (but with wrong colors)...when overlay go away, the game turn like SDR image

Thanks
Yes essentially all HDR monitor owners have this issue. For some reason I've found a temp fix which is freaking bizarre. Just enable the trail on your mouse in the mouse settings of Windows.. Make the trail as short as possible of course but still not a true fix just a work around... I've even went as far as installing the latest Insider versions of Windows.. Just post on this forum I started and let me know its annoying AF...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 192&auth=1

Fifagi

Post by Fifagi » 15 Feb 2020, 09:46

exodus1337 wrote:
15 Feb 2020, 04:06

Thanks
Yes essentially all HDR monitor owners have this issue. For some reason I've found a temp fix which is freaking bizarre. Just enable the trail on your mouse in the mouse settings of Windows.. Make the trail as short as possible of course but still not a true fix just a work around... I've even went as far as installing the latest Insider versions of Windows.. Just post on this forum I started and let me know its annoying AF...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 192&auth=1
Whit this trick CoD hasn't problem whit Volume Overlay...but has problem whit the "spray wheel" and spray "wheel" of
killing streak :-/

In Battlefiled V the problem remaning whit overlay volume