Photos from DisplayWeek 2019! Not Your Usual CES/E3 Show...

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Photos from DisplayWeek 2019! Not Your Usual CES/E3 Show...

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 May 2019, 20:19

DisplayWeek 2019: Not Your Usual CES or E3 Convention

Last week, I went to DisplayWeek. DisplayWeek is full of engineers and manufacturer suppliers. It is not a media-heavy convention. I have posted an article DisplayWeek 2019 Photo Journal.

DisplayWeek Often Shows Future Display Technologies
- Local Dimming in Future LCD Mobile Phone Screens
- Specialized Colorimeter Cameras
- Multiple 8K 120Hz Displays Actually Displaying 8K 120Hz
- Many Nuts & Bolts Vendors
- Local Dimming for Virtual Reality LCDs
- Shockingly Colorful Desktop OLED Monitors
- Transparent Screens
- Technical Seminars for Display Professionals and Engineers
- New Ultra High Contrast Ratio Stacked LCDs – 500000:1 Per Pixel

Here's a few pictures:

See more photos here.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

sharknice

Re: Photos from DisplayWeek 2019! Not Your Usual CES/E3 Show

Post by sharknice » 20 May 2019, 21:25

How were the viewing angles on the stacked LCDs?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 May 2019, 21:29

sharknice wrote:How were the viewing angles on the stacked LCDs?
Slightly worse than IPS but much better than TN!

Even viewed very off-axis, contrast-ratio remained extremely high, just there was a slight horizontal resolution loss effect because of the parallax. It wasn't noticeable for minor off-axis but noticeable at a 45 degree angle.

The cost of dual stack LCDs are predicted to be lower than flagship OLEDs.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 21 May 2019, 09:01

Could you tell how good the backlight uniformity was?

Also, it sounded like they were saying it's actually each sub pixel being layered, is that correct? Are the layers actually so close together that it's accurate from a typical viewing angle? It seems like you could get some interesting artifacting if they aren't snug and perfectly aligned.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 May 2019, 13:06

As far as I could tell in convention lighting and theater room, uniformity is better than all desktop gaming monitors as far as I could tell.

The layers seemed 2-3 millimeter apart from my guesstimate. It looked fine 10 degree off but I saw (tolerable) artifacts when 45 degrees off. The artifact seemed roughly akin to a halving of horizontal resolution when viewed 45 degrees off -- caused by parallax between the two layers.

Given the relative inefficiency of LCD and dual-stacking affecting this -- power consumption seemed surprisingly low -- most parts of screen were cool-ish or lukewarm -- so I'd guesstimate power consumption of a 65 incher stayed within a 100 watt average envelope or so. More than a single layer LCD, but still less than yesteryear's CCFL LCDs before the LED backlight era.

The panel refresh rate was 120Hz. Strobing, for motion blur reduction, should continue to remain suitable on dual-stack LCDs, assuming pixel response of both layers are sufficient fast. Dual-stack LCDs are theoretically cheaper to build than FALD backlights, though this particular dual-stack LCD was accompanied by a 100+ zone quantum dot backlight that helped keep the power consumption down, and provided what looked like OLED-league blacks.

nick4567

Post by nick4567 » 22 May 2019, 15:12

could i possibly get the ability to pm cheif

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 May 2019, 10:36

nick4567 wrote:could i possibly get the ability to pm cheif
Due to spammer robots abusing the PM feature, I had to disable PMs for new forum members until they have 5 posts.

For Blur Busters business, email me -> [email protected]
(whether paid help + consulting + unusual test stuff + breaking news tips + ideas + etc)

For free technical support, it's preferred to post your questions publicly here in the Forums.
(It's more efficient - one reply can educate a hundred readers, unlike having to replying to 100 separate private emails)

thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy » 31 May 2019, 13:08

Were there any MicroLED displays at this expo?
That's all I'm interested about.

nick4567

Post by nick4567 » 31 May 2019, 16:15

ok thanks for letting me know