240Hz VA is here! ...It's a Samsung

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
jasswolf

Re: 240Hz VA is here! ...It's a Samsung

Post by jasswolf » 22 May 2020, 00:55

RedCloudFuneral wrote:
18 May 2020, 12:24
Yep, I'd feel ripped off if I'd bought one of these new VA monitors, I've lost all interest in the upcoming G7. If the company making the panels is willing to stretch the truth to this level it doesn't inspire confidence. I was sincerely hoping for a breakthrough in the tech considering I was burned on a '200hz' VA a few years ago and the improvement I see in my new 165hz panel(Subjectively blurrier than a 60hz IPS/TN monitor but improved enough not to provoke nausea or mask the input lag advantages of a higher framerate.)

I do see some niche scenarios where you'd want this new VA(maybe Fortnite or Rocket League avoid enough of the dark scenes?) but a lot of people are going to walk into this blind and be put off higher refresh much like I was with the old Acer ultrawide. I mean that's why I went 4K for a couple years, before I discovered that VA smear was a known thing I'd concluded that high-refresh = blur = sick and that I needed a lower refresh-rate for comfort. :oops:
I definitely expect this to be horrible at 240Hz, but not as bad as the CRG5, which for all intents and purposes seems to be an older Samsung panel stably overclocked as a prototype of some kind.

I think the G7 and the G9 should hit 165-180Hz comfortably, but the real interest for me is how well-tuned the strobing will be at say 120-144Hz, and what the response times are for the darker transitions with the optimal overdrive for that refresh rate.

Success there would make it a compelling purchase, but it would want to drop from $550 USD very quickly if it isn't a true 240Hz experience.