OLED and HDM1 2.1 thru Nvidia - wonder when?

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
bigmonitorguy

OLED and HDM1 2.1 thru Nvidia - wonder when?

Post by bigmonitorguy » 05 Apr 2020, 11:31

Anyone have ideas on when Nvidia may finally roll out new GPU cards with HDMI 2.1 support?

I'm at a point where I'm ready to build a new PC, but wanted to wait until I could get gaming going over 60 Hz on a 65" or larger OLED TV with an Nvidia card, and also have the HDMI 2.1 ready to go. I was going to do all my new tech purchases at the same time: build the new PC with the latest Nvidia card, and buy the new OLED TV to hook the new PC up to.

With the global business slow-down due to the viral pandemic I assume Nvidia will be delaying any new GPU products that support HDMI 2.1. Has anyone seen any news postings or rumors when Nvidia may get their new products rolled out again?

Maybe the delay is beneficial for me, at least, as I would be able to get a newer model OLED TV if a manufacturer like LG adds for features to the 2021 line of their OLED TVs.

jasswolf

Re: OLED and HDM1 2.1 thru Nvidia - wonder when?

Post by jasswolf » 06 Apr 2020, 22:04

bigmonitorguy wrote:
05 Apr 2020, 11:31
Anyone have ideas on when Nvidia may finally roll out new GPU cards with HDMI 2.1 support?

I'm at a point where I'm ready to build a new PC, but wanted to wait until I could get gaming going over 60 Hz on a 65" or larger OLED TV with an Nvidia card, and also have the HDMI 2.1 ready to go. I was going to do all my new tech purchases at the same time: build the new PC with the latest Nvidia card, and buy the new OLED TV to hook the new PC up to.

With the global business slow-down due to the viral pandemic I assume Nvidia will be delaying any new GPU products that support HDMI 2.1. Has anyone seen any news postings or rumors when Nvidia may get their new products rolled out again?

Maybe the delay is beneficial for me, at least, as I would be able to get a newer model OLED TV if a manufacturer like LG adds for features to the 2021 line of their OLED TVs.
Next-gen cards, late Q2 at the earliest, but more like Q3 given everything that's happening.

The latest LG CX TVs support 4k 120Hz via HDMI 2.0b, using 4:2:0 chroma-subsampling, but that's good enough for gaming in the mean time, and the same unit also offers AI-based text sharpening, which should correct for a lot of the issues that you'd experience in general desktop usage.

But this isn't really a huge problem for PCs beyond using them with a TV, because DP 1.4 supports all of this via DSC with lossless compression. The demos that they've been showing off a CES for a few years now show that this is a viable single-cable solution.