"Eve Spectrum" - 1440p 240hz 1ms IPS Monitor (LG Panel)

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: "Eve Spectrum" - 1440p 240hz 1ms IPS Monitor (LG Panel)

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Aug 2020, 11:39

AddictFPS wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 09:50
Strobing with low crosstalk need fast scanout, 4K 144Hz 6.94ms, QHD 240Hz 4.16ms, 4K is 3ms more crosstalky, take it into account. You trade pixel precision with more crosstalk.
Actually, this is the new "1ms IPS" panel technology.
Even though realworld GtG is slower, they're about ~60-70% less ghosty than yesteryear's "3ms IPS". Unlike on yesterday's overclocked 165 Hz IPS panels, these IPS panels scale in refresh rate better and have far less crosstalk. Strobe crosstalk level on the new 2020-era "1ms IPS" is roughly comparable to TN technology.

Even the red phosphor crosstalk is less bad than the worst TN I've seen. Although not everyone will be happy about it, it's still quite usable strobing for a lot of applications.

Those used to CRT artifacts such as electron gun mis-convergence, can easily tolerate the KSF red phosphor fringing, especially since the 60Hz single-strobe on these panels look better than a 20-year-old aged arcade CRT.

4K is great for MAME HLSL (CRT filters), the color gamut matches a CRT tube except for imperfect blacks, and with 60Hz single-strobe, this should also be a great MAME arcade cabinet panel for fast-action games -- should look kick ass with say, Sega Model 3 games for example. There will be those subtle red ghosts from the red phosphor but they can be forgiven as a CRT phosphor ghosting or electron gun misconvergence for a bit of subtle phosphory realism. You win some, you lose some.

Just because there's red phosphor doesn't mean strobing is 100% useless. It's just less perfect than it would otherwise be, from my experience on other KSF panels (other than Eve).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 12 Sep 2020, 09:31

Update in main post.
Discord | Youtube | Twitch
Steam with a list of monitors & mice I've used/use.

frunction

Post by frunction » 13 Sep 2020, 10:49

This did seem a bit risky. I hope people get their monitors in a reasonable time frame.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jun 2021, 04:42

Crossposting here from viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8718
Chief Blur Buster wrote:As Chief Blur Buster I want to personally confirm that I assisted Eve with strobe tuning. I completed my strobe tuning work this week. Talk about tight timing!

I personally requested that my completion is not pre-announced since this is a first-time gaming monitor vendor that needed to pass through the whole Blur Busters process first. I prefer not seeing terrible strobing happening. I was not sure they were able to achieve it -- but I can confirm that they were able to implement all my strobe-tuning modifications. Now we went through the process and I can trust that my features is now going to be put into the shipping firmware -- I can tell more.

(For new posters, "strobing" is a motion blur reduction feature to allow LCDs to match the motion clarity of impulse-driven displays such as CRTs, plasmas, etc).

So without further ado:

Strobing Works With PC, Consoles and Televisions Sources
No computer is mandatory for strobing -- any HDMI & DP video source can gain motion blur reduction via strobing. Cable, Blu-Ray, PlayStation, X-Box. You will be able to watch sports cable television from a cable TV box connected to an EVE Spectrum, at 60Hz and 120Hz single-strobe

Despite KSF phosphor, less motion blur than a plasma TV
Users here may be familiar with the link I posted earlier -- www.blurbusters.com/red-phosphor -- as Eve has the great wide-gamut color but the KSF phosphor has a (smallish, depending on your POV) con when it comes to strobing. Fortunately I was able to confirm that the Eve 4K Spectrum manages to achieve less motion blur than a plasma TV. The middle of the screen at 60 Hz has almost no strobe crosstalk and fairly little KSF ghosting with most video content. Plasma televisions (even the famous Pioneer Plasma) has a well-known yellow-ghosting issue, and the KSF ghosting with well-tuned strobing is currently less visible than that. Despite KSF, sub-millisecond MPRT is still possible with the Eve Spectrum.

As I already posted before -- due to the impressive color but slow-strobing KSF phosphor, it is unable to pass the criteria required for a Blur Busters Approved logo. However, it went through the whole process for the best-possible that I think a KSF panel can get! However, for a KSF panel, it's not bad. I was able to tune the Eve Spectrum to have significantly less phosphor ghosting than a plasma TV.

But, the important thing at the end of the day -- EVE Spectrum manages to ghosts less than a plasma TV. Not bad for a KSF panel!

Easy Factory Pretuned Modes
The easy factory pretuned strobe refresh rates are are 50Hz, 60Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz and 144Hz.

User Defined Pulse Width
The user defined pulse width is adjustable in the onscreen menu from 1% refresh cycle to 25% refresh cycle, translating to resulting MPRTs between 1% to 25% of the refresh interval. This is a brightness versus motion clarity tradeoff. Metaphorically, it is like adjusting the speed of a CRT phosphor! Dimmer & clearer motion, versus brighter & very slightly softer motion (but still clearer than without strobing). Shorter pulse widths can be great if you use material with ultrafast motion speeds (2000 pixels/second or faster panning motions).

Retro Friendly Low-Hz Strobing
Yes, you emulator users, single-strobe custom Hz including 50 Hz and 60 Hz is supported! So your 60 years of legacy 60fps 60Hz content can be strobed faithfully like a 50-60Hz CRT at both PAL and NTSC strobe frequency. For best ergonomics, keep low-Hz strobe disabled in the bright Windows Desktop (flickers too much), and enable the strobe when you launch your copy of Sega Sonic Hedgehog or anything that demands single strobe CRT emulation! Something NVIDIA strobing (ULMB) cannot do with an external video source!

For Advanced Users: EVE Strobe Utility software package coming
As a service to all manufactures we help strobe-tune, we optionally provide a free skinned/branded versions of optional strobe tuning utilities for users. EVE has opted in. Therefore, I will ship an EVE Strobe Utility software package shortly (0-100% Strobe Phase, 1%-25% Strobe Pulse Width, and 64-Level Overdrive Gain!) for advanced users who want to dive deeper into strobe tuning. Just like professionals sometimes buys a colorimeters to calibrate advanced color, this is for advanced blur reduction users who would like additional optional control above-and-beyond. Any custom strobed Hz from 50Hz to 144Hz can be created via a custom resolution. For example 3840x2160 running at 128Hz with your custom strobe tuning.

Choice For User
Some people gets more LCD motion blur headaches and strobing is the lesser evil for some people. So your mileage will vary. Purely optional -- backlight strobing can be turned ON / OFF. Everybody has different preferences!

_____

For those new to Blur Busters research, feel free to explore [ur=https://blurbusters.com/area51]Blur Busters Area 51[/url]
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!