Samsung Odyssey G7 - Global Launch (June

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!

jasswolf

Re: Samsung Odyssey G7 - Global Launch (June

Post by jasswolf » 23 Jun 2020, 06:10

That pursuit camera testing is very, very impressive. That's a huge gauntlet for a VA panel to get through, and it's put up a fight.

Yes it comes at the expense of some contrast and colour space, but Samsung have really set the bar high here. Any 144-240Hz panel using this tech is going to turn heads for casual (and even light competitive) gaming.

At $450 USD, this is going to shake up the entry level and mid-range monitor market, and it's about time.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Jun 2020, 15:31

BlurBoss wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 21:20
This doesn't explain how eye with astigmatism perceives ghosting differently, if there is such thing.
I can confirm that different people perceive ghosting differently -- sometimes more sensitively, sometimes less sensitively.

It's all over the map, similar to stutter sensitivity, tearing sensitivity, and other typical user pickiness about motion.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Amphetamemes

Post by Amphetamemes » 26 Jun 2020, 19:36

Can we get an image of the Virtual Aim Point feature? I'd like to see what it looks like.

elexor

Post by elexor » 12 Jul 2020, 04:10

Interesting samsung is stating 1ms g2g, older 240hz samsung va's are listed as 4ms g2g. I wonder if these new panels are drastically better.

elexor

Post by elexor » 15 Jul 2020, 00:52

Some more pursuit camera tests i found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW0SrjeADl0

jasswolf

Post by jasswolf » 16 Jul 2020, 23:41

phpBB [video]

First English technical review. 2000:1 contrast when calibrated, some black performance and black uniformity issues. Hopefully firmware clears this up from a backlight perspective, but also interesting to hear comments about the panel being used in other models, perhaps sooner rather than later?

240Hz MBR looks good, but 144Hz and lower looked terrible. Variable overdrive seems to be in play, and tests well in the 32" models VRR range (80-240Hz).
Last edited by jasswolf on 17 Jul 2020, 01:02, edited 1 time in total.

Joel D

Samsung Odessy G9 is HERE !

Post by Joel D » 17 Jul 2020, 00:07

Yea I just seen these go up for sale. The G9 is a 32:9 curved screen !! wow. I have no clue what game that'd be good for other than causing waaaay too much eye tracking and getting yourself shot from the side all the time ! haha..

Besides that though, extremely interesting being a newb. I thought these were QLED panels, why are some saying VA here ? What is VA even ?

Another question I got is, I thought 2k @ 240hz was as much as current graphics cards and cables even can spit out ? Now the 49" version is like 5k x 1440 @ 240hz. Exactly what cable can support that and furthermore what graphic card ? I'm lost here.

I thought 4k @ 120hz is the limit right now ?

All that said, looks like technology is moving fast. I really want a 32" 4k monitor 16:9 240hz with 1ms input lag that is OLED or better quality. Seems to be right around the corner folks ! So the question is...again... what cables can support that and what graphics card ?

And is this QLED technology really good ? Does it stand up past IPS ? Seems like a gimmick. The other issue is its proprietary to Samsung only. Definitely sense issues here ! lol

jasswolf

Re: Samsung Odessy G9 is HERE !

Post by jasswolf » 17 Jul 2020, 01:25

Joel D wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 00:07
Yea I just seen these go up for sale. The G9 is a 32:9 curved screen !! wow. I have no clue what game that'd be good for other than causing waaaay too much eye tracking and getting yourself shot from the side all the time ! haha..
Immersiveness, more so for simulator games.
Besides that though, extremely interesting being a newb. I thought these were QLED panels, why are some saying VA here ? What is VA even ?
QLED-based colour filter, VA panel.
Another question I got is, I thought 2k @ 240hz was as much as current graphics cards and cables even can spit out ? Now the 49" version is like 5k x 1440 @ 240hz. Exactly what cable can support that and furthermore what graphic card ? I'm lost here.

I thought 4k @ 120hz is the limit right now ?

All that said, looks like technology is moving fast. I really want a 32" 4k monitor 16:9 240hz with 1ms input lag that is OLED or better quality. Seems to be right around the corner folks ! So the question is...again... what cables can support that and what graphics card ?
No, the 'limit' on GPUs is about 8k120Hz, but this is achieved via DisplayPort 1.4 with the use of Display Stream Compression (DSC), and requires a HBR3 cable (the fastest kind of DisplayPort cable at present).

In time, there will be DisplayPort 2.0 and HDMI 2.1 on graphics cards (some TVs already have the latter) and those both support much high resolutions and refresh rates.

But in terms of displays, there are already 5k displays and 8k TVs on the market.
And is this QLED technology really good ? Does it stand up past IPS ? Seems like a gimmick. The other issue is its proprietary to Samsung only. Definitely sense issues here ! lol
VA has better contrast (blacks are blacker) but poorer viewing angles, so as a gaming monitor it offers more, if response times are solid (and they are with these). Colour consistency isn't super important if you're not doing colour work on the monitor.

QLED is not inherently proprietary to Samsung, that's just their marketing name for it. You seem to be coming from the click referral driven part of the internet that purports 'IPS is king' and 'colours are amazing on IPS', so I'd suggest you read something like this article to grasp the strengths and weaknesses of each technology.

HDR TVs are almost exclusively VA and OLED, and with good reason. The king for gaming is usually TN, but this new VA tech seems to surpass that. IPS has also caught up, and will be the first 360Hz technology, but ultimately all of these are stopgaps until MicroLED and/or QNED technologies, which deliver OLEDs strengths with almost none of its weaknesses.

In the meantime, this 1440p 240Hz VA technology is definitely the new sweet spot, especially when in the case of the G7 it's been priced under USD $500 in some parts of the world already.

Hoped that help give you a quick primer!

Joel D

Re: Samsung Odessy G9 is HERE !

Post by Joel D » 17 Jul 2020, 02:15

Definitely thanks for the "primer" !
jasswolf wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 01:25
Immersiveness, more so for simulator games.
Yea I could see that. For me, its just too wide. Nothing even spits out a 32:9 image does it ? None of my games do. Never seen that option. No movies I know do. Don't really see the point. Wont non-32:9 content either look stretched or have black bars down the sides ? I just think its a touch ridiculous. I don't even see like that in real life, lol. I think 16:9 is a perfect sweet spot.

That said, if the monitor could do 2 16:9 images (like could I do dual desktop on it ?) then doing dual desktop on 1 monitor would be cool !
jasswolf wrote:
QLED-based colour filter, VA panel.
Ahh, got it. On their website it just says QLED.
jasswolf wrote:
No, the 'limit' on GPUs is about 8k120Hz, but this is achieved via DisplayPort 1.4 with the use of Display Stream Compression (DSC), and requires a HBR3 cable (the fastest kind of DisplayPort cable at present).
Ok, good news. I've been asking this but no one can give me a straight answer. Can I ask you something - So I have a cable like that. I bought it as overkill. BUT it says 8k @ 60hz. But someone else told me to ignore descriptions and just go with speed transmission capabilities. Either way, I got a Vesa Certified DP 1.4 HBR3 cable. And I also got the Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (and processor just as bad ass, brand new computer, windows 10 64, etc..) what are my limits with those things ? 8k @ ?, 4k @ ? 2560x1440 @ ?

Please let me know, as I'd like to know what's the furthest I can go with a monitor as it sits.. Thanks.
jasswolf wrote:
But in terms of displays, there are already 5k displays and 8k TVs on the market.
This I knew, of course. But I was under the impression they were like 60hz.
jasswolf wrote:
VA has better contrast (blacks are blacker) but poorer viewing angles, so as a gaming monitor it offers more, if response times are solid (and they are with these). Colour consistency isn't super important if you're not doing colour work on the monitor.

QLED is not inherently proprietary to Samsung, that's just their marketing name for it. You seem to be coming from the click referral driven part of the internet that purports 'IPS is king' and 'colours are amazing on IPS', so I'd suggest you read something like this article to grasp the strengths and weaknesses of each technology.

HDR TVs are almost exclusively VA and OLED, and with good reason. The king for gaming is usually TN, but this new VA tech seems to surpass that. IPS has also caught up, and will be the first 360Hz technology, but ultimately all of these are stopgaps until MicroLED and/or QNED technologies, which deliver OLEDs strengths with almost none of its weaknesses.
Oh good to know about VA's. But I did read QLED was proprietary guess it was wrong, or its more like the name is Proprietary and the technology under a different name is just technology. ?? But either way, no sir, I definitely don't think IPS is king. I personally like OLED as it looks the best to date to me. Calibrates to true industry standards and is just best right now to me personally. But I did read the article to fill me in on other panels. Thanks for that.

This G7 32" does look interesting to me too. But besides all the specs, the question is, how does it really look in real life and how does it really perform ? I was excited to see it released just cause what it means is more tech is coming soon. This is a exciting day !