110 Inch Home Market MicroLED Display revealed by Samsung

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: 110 Inch Home Market MicroLED Display revealed by Samsung

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Dec 2020, 03:47

Thanks for the heads up!

Also, Verge:
https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/9/2216 ... d-features
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 10 Dec 2020, 05:07

Amazing, true next gen. Hope specs are at level of rumors: true black, thousands of nits, nanosecond pixel speed :shock: , bunr-in is not a problem (same as LCD for instance). I think with only these is enought to preview what is cooking here :)

If all go how is spected, these screens will run like a make road roller destroying all at is pass. Interesting CES 2021 and all coming years of MicroLED enhacements.

I suppose than like the 75" prototype showed in CES 2020, than Samsung claim some day also touch market, is made of small modules together. Maybe currently 75" 4K pixel size is a big challenge to manufacture modules 100% issues free.

Module array seems fine for TV, cheaper and aspect ratio and size customizable, with this size and the viewing distance, is espected not see the edges betwhen modules.

But for monitors i think modules is a step back except if user want the modularity feature. At monitor viewing distance seems imposible mission hide the edges completely. Can be very thin, like old CRT aperture grille two horizontal lines, but is dark, and even this microscopic size can be clearily see under fullscreen light colors.

So the module specs alone seems the most interesting from classic monitor viewpoint, size ? resol ? freq ?

Good news than this TV can reach 4K 120Hz to be 100% next gen console ready, is a very good start of MicroLED in consumer market ! Hope they not forget proper BFI implementation like LG Motion Pro, or can't beat OLED in motion blur test. Moreover Samsung need urgently a flagship to fight against LG OLED CX, a mix of both SmartTV and PC monitor, in the True Black HDR fashion.

Last news of LG CX named official Xbox Series X screen sure make Samsung a bit angry. I wouldn't be surprised if they punch the table with MicroLED accelerated plans and size race. The smaller LG MicroLED is currently 163"

Sure price is very high, all screens not mass produced are very expensive, manufacturing process especifically to the prototype. First 8K was the same problem. And place each subpixel one by one mechanicaly without errors is not cheap, pacience until mass production. en.yna.co.kr say US $156,400 :lol:

Main goal accomplished, MicroLED in stores in 3,2,1 ;)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Dec 2020, 05:44

MicroLED lends itself well to future 1000Hz+, given near-zero GtG. Hopefully these vendors add retina refresh rates to the MicroLED displays by the end of this decade -- it is more of a GPU horsepower and display bandwidth issue when it comes to MicroLED displays.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy » 10 Dec 2020, 11:33

AddictFPS wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 05:07

Module array seems fine for TV
Read the articles posted above. This isn't actually using module arrays like their video walls. This is pre-fabricated like traditional home displays meaning it's all in one piece.
Samsung also claimed that they were only able to release this 110 Inch version due to recent innovation in their semiconductor sector. Also one of the articles says that they've been told that there are smaller models coming on the roadmap so here's hoping.

Futuretech

Post by Futuretech » 10 Dec 2020, 17:23

I have a question on the whole Mini-LED/Micro-LED phenomena.

We all know LEDs are somewhat harmful to the eyes depending on the person of course but is harmful in general due to production of UV-Light. Maybe some are more affected then others, some not at all; but in general like I said it affects everyone.

My question is are the glass placed over the Mini-LED/Micro-LED. UV-Shielding?

Are they gonna add UV-protection to avoid LED issues? Or are Mini/Micro LEDs produced in such a way their emission of UV light is lesser if not outright eliminated?

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 11 Dec 2020, 03:58

thatoneguy wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 11:33
Read the articles posted above. This isn't actually using module arrays like their video walls. This is pre-fabricated like traditional home displays meaning it's all in one piece.
I read it before post, but because not say specificaly is made of one piece, only than is prefabricated and user not need worry about, i still have the doubt. Maybe is made of not dismountable modules. Hopefully is one piece ! :)
Futuretech wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 17:23
My question is are the glass placed over the Mini-LED/Micro-LED. UV-Shielding?

Are they gonna add UV-protection to avoid LED issues? Or are Mini/Micro LEDs produced in such a way their emission of UV light is lesser if not outright eliminated?
+1 This should be know. Even should be tested in reviews to confirm is what manufacturer claim.

thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy » 07 Jan 2021, 05:05

So apparently word from CES is that they've announced 99 inch and 88 inch sizes as well alongside the 110 inch version that apparently will be on the market starting this coming March.
Hopefully Samsung delivers this time. 2 years ago they showed a 75 inch version in CES 2019 and CES 2020 but they never actually put it in the market to my knowledge.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Jan 2021, 14:34

Miniaturizing MicroLED is very tough to do when you've got ~100 million discrete LEDs in an 8K display, or ~25M discrete LEDs in a 4K display. I'm counting all subpixels, at 3 LEDs per pixel (R,G,B).

MicroLED is like your indicator LED or the elements of a LED alarm clock. But cramming many millions of them into the same display!

It is possible defect rates were too high at the 75 inch size;

thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy » 09 Jan 2021, 01:40

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 14:34
Miniaturizing MicroLED is very tough to do when you've got ~100 million discrete LEDs in an 8K display, or ~25M discrete LEDs in a 4K display. I'm counting all subpixels, at 3 LEDs per pixel (R,G,B).

MicroLED is like your indicator LED or the elements of a LED alarm clock. But cramming many millions of them into the same display!

It is possible defect rates were too high at the 75 inch size;
Yeah it was a 4K panel 2 years ago so 24 million or so LEDs(7680x4320 would be around 99M and some change).
They're claiming that they are offering 110 and 99 inch sizes(some 3rd party sites reporting 88 inch sizes too) with even smaller displays than that coming by the end of the year.
https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung ... ble-future

If their 99 inch(and especially their 88 inch) claim ends up being true then it's a massive leap forward considering for the last few years they were stuck at ~140 inch range. So if they managed to shrink the size by 50/60 odd inches in such a short amount of time then it's really impressive.

One has to wonder though, it's puzzling how far ahead Samsung seems to be ahead of Sony in the MLED game. Samsung announced an 110 inch 4K panel meanwhile Sony still stuck at 110 inch 1080p.