Konka announce MicroLED Smart Watch and Sony teases a possible MicroLED display as well

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
thatoneguy

Konka announce MicroLED Smart Watch and Sony teases a possible MicroLED display as well

Post by thatoneguy » 21 Dec 2020, 03:24

https://www.ithome.com/0/525/495.htm
https://www.microled-info.com/konka-ann ... oled-watch

phpBB [video]

https://www.microled-info.com/sony-soon ... technology

elexor

Re: Konka announce MicroLED Smart Watch and Sony teases a possible MicroLED display as well

Post by elexor » 21 Dec 2020, 04:43

Looks like another multi panel huge wall display big $

thatoneguy

Re: Konka announce MicroLED Smart Watch and Sony teases a possible MicroLED display as well

Post by thatoneguy » 22 Dec 2020, 00:02

elexor wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 04:43
Looks like another multi panel huge wall display big $
Samsung's new display was all in one piece so Sony releasing yet another modular display would be counter-intuitive.
Conservative guess would be a traditional huge display, probably a little bigger than Samsung's but still pre-fabbed.
Who knows though, they might surprise us but I wouldn't put it past them to disappoint like they've done in recent years.

A MicroLED Smartwatch coming out this soon is a pretty big deal however.

elexor

Post by elexor » 22 Dec 2020, 10:48

If it's microled on a silicon wafer it will be incredibly expensive to make a monitor with those. My hopes are with qned.

thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy » 22 Dec 2020, 15:31

elexor wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 10:48
If it's microled on a silicon wafer it will be incredibly expensive to make a monitor with those. My hopes are with qned.
Silicon Wafer is not the only backplane you can use with MicroLED, TFT works too(in fact there have been several prototypes). And recently there has also been a movement towards using bigger and cheaper wafers.
https://www.microled-info.com/aledia-pr ... con-wafers

I'm really skeptical about this QNED tech. It came out of nowhere and afaik only Samsung and LG are working on it.
With MicroLED I know there's a ton of companies working on it at least.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Dec 2020, 17:44

MicroLED-on-wafers can go bright enough for projectors

There is a big market for ultrabright high-Hz small MicroLEDs: Projectors!

A heatsinked silicon wafer MicroLED display allows a screen to double as THE projector bulb -- for an ultra-low-lag high-Hz projector -- with proper water cooled heatsink on the rear of a MicroLED wafer display -- these are capable of being driven at huge number of nits, allowing screens to double as the projector bulbs.

Some tests were done at 2 million nits of a monochrome MicroLED-on-wafer screen. That is bright enough (in theory) to produce a usable ~100" image, where 1 inch diagonal MicroLED is projected to a 100" screen (10,000x bigger surface) and gets about 4 orders of magnitude dimmer per square inch as a result; with the 2 million nits becoming 200 nits at the screen surface itself -- plenty bright for a dark room.

I wonder how bright these color MicroLEDs can be overdriven at with a water cooled heat sink on its rear.

In theory, MicroLEDs can be scanned in sync with cable scanout, allowing theoretically lagless operation. Also, theoretically, the individual pixels can be driven at retina refresh rates (>1000fps at >1000Hz), though refresh electronics speed will be tough on the huge number of pixels.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

elexor

Post by elexor » 22 Dec 2020, 18:13

Just get 3 monochrome ones and have it project color channels separately like those old crt projectors.

Futuretech

Post by Futuretech » 23 Dec 2020, 00:23

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 17:44
Also, theoretically, the individual pixels can be driven at retina refresh rates (>1000fps at >1000Hz), though refresh electronics speed will be tough on the huge number of pixels.
I'm sure you know this seeing as your in a higher position than most on said subjects. But it has been tested in the more recent Micro-LED testings of transistor speed changes in some cases surpassing a little over 1:Ghz in speed basically nanosecond blur. OLED has seen some from a few years ago reaching about 100,000:Hz speeds even though current OLED probably isn't actuating near that.

I'm assuming this 'tough on the huge number of pixels" is a factor of calibration, Nits, and other properties found among the heatmap of the display.

Correct? is that what you mean by tough?

thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy » 23 Dec 2020, 03:30

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 17:44
I wonder how bright these color MicroLEDs can be overdriven at with a water cooled heat sink on its rear.
Well on a research paper I've seen the claim that monochrome MLED can do 40 million cd/m2
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... LED_arrays

Could be just me misunderstanding the paper though
Futuretech wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 00:23

I'm sure you know this seeing as your in a higher position than most on said subjects. But it has been tested in the more recent Micro-LED testings of transistor speed changes in some cases surpassing a little over 1:Ghz in speed basically nanosecond blur. OLED has seen some from a few years ago reaching about 100,000:Hz speeds even though current OLED probably isn't actuating near that.
Technically the switching speed of MLED is sub-nanosecond/picosecond-tier as per many research papers.
Whether this is feasible in practice when it comes to larger displays I don't know but the expectation is that it will definitely not be as limited as OLED.