90hz OLED Laptop Displays

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
life_at_1ms

90hz OLED Laptop Displays

Post by life_at_1ms » 17 Oct 2021, 17:17

These have been reported for a while now - and supposedly will be released in some laptop models soon:
https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/15/2267 ... enovo-asus

Does anyone know how to get their hands on one? I want to see if I can fit it into my laptop :)
Thanks.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: 90hz OLED Laptop Displays

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Oct 2021, 14:06

life_at_1ms wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 17:17
These have been reported for a while now - and supposedly will be released in some laptop models soon:
https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/15/2267 ... enovo-asus

Does anyone know how to get their hands on one? I want to see if I can fit it into my laptop :)
Thanks.
Display development lifecycles from announcement of panels to actual product, tend to be 1 to 4 years.

The generic boilerplate Hardware Development Life Cycle of a typical display industry outfit tends to iterate phases:

EVT = Engineering Validation Test
DVT = Design Validation Test
PVT = Production Validation Test
MP = Mass Production

(google search)

Sometimes retail product is done stealth (Apple) and suddenly announced at last minute, while others are announced far in advance. Sometimes it's iterating phases such as EVT, DVT1, DVT2, [...DTVx], PVT, MP.

Even when a panel component is MP, the retail vendor (nameplate of laptop or monitor) may repeat cycle again for the fully finished retail product, EVT, DVT1, DVT2, PVT, MP.

Often retail product development phases is overlapped / shingled / GANTT'd simultaneously between panel vendor and the manufacturer with a tapedelay between panel vendor and manufacturer of product. A retail manufacturer may be sampling second-generation DVT2 panel prototypes to a shortlist of private beta testers, while the panel vendor is still working on a PVT panel samples. Typically, there is usually at least several months to a year in between the MP maturity of a panel and the MP maturity of finished product.

Having said this, now this is claimed "Mass Production" stage by panel vendor, I'd say 2022 for "Mass Production" stage by finished retail products. I estimate this rule of thumb, based on history of how display industry lifecycles go. Could be sooner or later given the upheavals (shortages / pandemic) shattering many internal schedules by dozens of companies.

Look at CES 2022 for 90Hz OLED showoffs, and then preorders for models hitting market later in 2022. Wider quantities might, for example, not come until 2023+ given the shortages endemic to industry.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!