Samsung QD OLED

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
jorimt

Re: Samsung QD OLED

Post by jorimt » 27 Jan 2022, 10:02

jasswolf wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 22:58
I mean given the reduction in light diffusion through the improved design, wouldn't 200-220 nits SDR deliver a great basic BFI result for most use cases?
Hopefully. We won't know until they're released and tested.
jasswolf wrote:
SDR is mastered for 100 nits.
Indeed, and that's what I calibrate all my displays to, but the average gamer is used to viewing SDR in 200 nits, 300 nits, 400 nits, etc.

I'd be happy with a low duty cycle BFI that reaches 100 nits, and it's possible QD-OLED models could reach this. I'm just saying we already have excellent ~100 nits and sub-100nits strobing on Blur Buster approved displays, and the average gamer doesn't consider it bright enough, so if they want meaningful 200+ strobing on QD-OLED, they should temper their expectations.

For instance, my LG CX OLED with the highest BFI setting engaged can only reach 24 nits full field at 60Hz, and 60 nits full field at 120Hz. And even with that, I think MPRT is still a relatively high 4ms:
viewtopic.php?p=54466#p54466
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

jasswolf

Post by jasswolf » 30 Jan 2022, 22:30

jorimt wrote:
27 Jan 2022, 10:02
jasswolf wrote:
I mean given the reduction in light diffusion through the improved design, wouldn't 200-220 nits SDR deliver a great basic BFI result for most use cases?
Hopefully. We won't know until they're released and tested.
jasswolf wrote:
SDR is mastered for 100 nits.
Indeed, and that's what I calibrate all my displays to, but the average gamer is used to viewing SDR in 200 nits, 300 nits, 400 nits, etc.

I'd be happy with a low duty cycle BFI that reaches 100 nits, and it's possible QD-OLED models could reach this. I'm just saying we already have excellent ~100 nits and sub-100nits strobing on Blur Buster approved displays, and the average gamer doesn't consider it bright enough, so if they want meaningful 200+ strobing on QD-OLED, they should temper their expectations.

For instance, my LG CX OLED with the highest BFI setting engaged can only reach 24 nits full field at 60Hz, and 60 nits full field at 120Hz. And even with that, I think MPRT is still a relatively high 4ms:
viewtopic.php?p=54466#p54466
Fair points, though I think the average gamer tends to be viewing something that operates at 60-80 nits, where as this should deliver 120 nits fine, and with far better contrast to make the image more defined.

For mine, the greatest issue is near-black performance, where we hopefully see an improvement on what OLED technology has delivered before now.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 31 Jan 2022, 10:41

jasswolf wrote:
30 Jan 2022, 22:30
For mine, the greatest issue is near-black performance, where we hopefully see an improvement on what OLED technology has delivered before now.
Future OLED could definitely benefit from better low-end gradiation performance, for sure.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

jasswolf

Post by jasswolf » 13 Feb 2022, 22:24

$1300 USD for the Alienware ultrawide, which puts it at a competitive price point for a genuine HDR ultrawide at that resolution and refresh rate.

Panel glow levels in dark scenes, and power consumption are going to be interesting.

DrR1pper

Post by DrR1pper » 13 Feb 2022, 22:28

jasswolf wrote:
13 Feb 2022, 22:24
$1300 USD for the Alienware ultrawide, which puts it at a competitive price point for a genuine HDR ultrawide at that resolution and refresh rate.

Panel glow levels in dark scenes, and power consumption are going to be interesting.
I was rather pleasantly surprised by the price announcement. Was sure it’d be at least $2k. Going to have to be fast on the buy button whilst stocks last all of 5 minutes after going live for sale.

jasswolf

Post by jasswolf » 13 Feb 2022, 23:52

DrR1pper wrote:
13 Feb 2022, 22:28
jasswolf wrote:
13 Feb 2022, 22:24

I was rather pleasantly surprised by the price announcement. Was sure it’d be at least $2k. Going to have to be fast on the buy button whilst stocks last all of 5 minutes after going live for sale.
The original Samsung G9 goes on sale for around $1000, so it's got strong competition for those interested in motion bur performance with SDR.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Feb 2022, 02:59

The starting price is VERY good! It will go down over time -- probably the 3-figure territory is now finally achievable for OLED computer monitors.

Expensive obviously compared to LCD, but it's a big price drop versus other OLED computer monitors.

It's even cheaper than several G-SYNC Ultimate displays.

My bigger concern is input lag of OLED processing is often worse than LCDs, so that's what I would most pay attention to.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

planart

Post by planart » 15 Feb 2022, 00:59

I was fully expeting +2500$ for early adopters. If this is everything that it's tought out to be, doesn't it kind of make everything else in the high end market obsolete performance wise?

Oled image quality combined with 175Hz with almost perfect pixel response times should be plenty fast. I would think input lag should be tuned aswell as they are Alienware and touting this as gaming monitor.

Waiting for the reviews very excited. This could very well be the end game monitor for me which at the same time destroys this wonderful hobby of tinkering and searching, even writing to these forums which is kind of a shame.

I used to be TV enthusiast up until 2017 I bought my first OLED. It just absolutely reached the point of quality then, where I'm happy with. No need to second guess or look elsewhere. It delievers what I expect in that use case.

alberto91

Post by alberto91 » 15 Feb 2022, 02:13

lossofmercy wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 14:25
https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertai ... -ces-2022/
phpBB [video]

It's not just a research project. Samsung will sell a QD Display TV later this year, and Sony announced its own 2022 QD-OLED models on Tuesday.

I visited Samsung Display's campus in San Jose, California, to see the panels firsthand and compare their performance to two display alternatives, OLED and LCD boosted with local-dimming technology. Even though it was a Samsung-arranged comparison and not an instrumented test of all display quality attributes, I'd say Samsung has a real chance at unseating the image quality leader, OLED.

It'll all come at a cost though. QD OLED displays will occupy a premium segment of the market. If you can't afford an OLED TV from a company like LG or Sony today, you're unlikely to find a QD OLED-based TV any more palatable.

Samsung Display, the division of the South Korean giant that manufactures the new panels, has three QD Display panels: 55-inch and 65-inch options for 4K TVs and a 34-inch option for computer monitors at QHD+ (3,200x1,800-pixel) resolution. It sells them to other companies but didn't reveal in advance which companies will use the panels or whether TV powerhouse Samsung Electronics is on the list.

When it comes to QD OLED, Samsung is the only game in town right now. Even though it's an electronics colossus, expect QD OLED's higher costs to confine the technology to the premium market. And competitor LG has about six times the OLED manufacturing capacity as Samsung's QD OLED production, said Ross Young, founder of Display Supply Chain Consultants.

"Given the low volume, [QD OLED] will be an ever smaller niche" than OLED, Young said. "LCDs will remain the volume and value leader for more than five years."

If you care about image quality and are willing to pay, though, QD OLED will be worth a look.
Looks like a cool tech. It's particularly nice because samsung was the first one to adopt VRR in TVs, so it's likely they will keep that gaming focus for these monitors.
I am getting super exciting. Is it available in the market?

DrR1pper

Post by DrR1pper » 15 Feb 2022, 13:23

alberto91 wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 02:13
March/April.