Samsung QD OLED

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
DrR1pper

Re: Samsung QD OLED

Post by DrR1pper » 23 Mar 2022, 22:49

Been playing csgo all day....this monitor is CRIMINALLY good. The level of motion clarity with the brightness you get for a non BFI monitor is just insane. My Asus XG27AQM 240hz with ELMB got nothing on this. Absolutely nothing. I honestly can't quite believe this thing really exists lol.

Oh and watching HDR content on it is breathtaking.

teo

Post by teo » 24 Mar 2022, 10:39

DrR1pper wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 22:49
Been playing csgo all day....this monitor is CRIMINALLY good. The level of motion clarity with the brightness you get for a non BFI monitor is just insane. My Asus XG27AQM 240hz with ELMB got nothing on this. Absolutely nothing. I honestly can't quite believe this thing really exists lol.

Knowing that it’s all subjective, how else do you find the xg27aqm and Alienware to “feel” different from one another? Does the asus feel better to you at any particular thing (e.g. input lag/responsiveness)?

DrR1pper

Post by DrR1pper » 24 Mar 2022, 11:21

teo wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 10:39
Knowing that it’s all subjective, how else do you find the xg27aqm and Alienware to “feel” different from one another? Does the asus feel better to you at any particular thing (e.g. input lag/responsiveness)?
Nope, lol. Nothing feels better about the Asus than the Alienware. The Alienware feels superior in every regard to me. I think regular IPS is going to become completely dead within 5 years lol (save for mini LED backlighting as that'll still obliterate OLED for sometime in terms of peak brightness for HDR).

Though I would say you should not regret buying the xg27aqm (if you might be starting to feel like so) because it is still an amazing gaming monitor for an LCD panel. But if you if you're short on cash and can return it still to save up for the Alienware, I'd make that sacrifice if I were in your shoes.

ax111

Post by ax111 » 24 Mar 2022, 13:48

DrR1pper wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 22:49

Man I have been trying to hold off but you are really selling me on this thing. Last year I bought the Acer XB273U GX after only ever using TN panels, and while the monitor is mostly great, I learned quickly that IPS glow is a gigantic downside. Games with a lot of dark scenes (Escape from Tarkov) are just ruined sometimes because of the glow. Do you by chance play Tarkov? How is it playing games that have darker settings?

DrR1pper

Post by DrR1pper » 24 Mar 2022, 15:27

ax111 wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 13:48

Man I have been trying to hold off but you are really selling me on this thing. Last year I bought the Acer XB273U GX after only ever using TN panels, and while the monitor is mostly great, I learned quickly that IPS glow is a gigantic downside. Games with a lot of dark scenes (Escape from Tarkov) are just ruined sometimes because of the glow. Do you by chance play Tarkov? How is it playing games that have darker settings?
You will not only not be disappointed.....you will be in AWE. This monitor is practically too good to be true. All the hype you heard from media about this monitor has been understating just how good it is.

Regarding dark scenes. This monitor is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! Zero black crush, near black detail retained with zero soul destryoing ips glow and matte screen Vaseline effect. This really is an end-game product.

I have not played Tarkov but I know what you mean. I have put off playing so many games waiting due to poor black detail retention on IPS. I've waited since 2019 to play Modern Warfare campaign because of it and now I can enjoy it in all its glory.

I'm sure it will wear off eventually and become normal (as all cutting edge tech eventually becomes) but for now, this monitor leaves a lump in my throat level of speechlessness. It really is that mind-bendingly great.

Inco^

Post by Inco^ » 24 Mar 2022, 16:35

DrR1pper,
do you think I would still be an awe if my main concern was competitive shooters (such as csgo)? I mean, I've got the Acer xv252qf 390Hz/BFI right now, would the AW3423DW be an upgrade regarding motion handling? (smoothness, clarity)
PG248QP - XL2566K - XV252Q F - PG259QN - XL2546K - Y27gq-25 - AG251FZ - LaCie Electron 22 Blue IV

ax111

Post by ax111 » 24 Mar 2022, 17:14

DrR1pper wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 15:27
ax111 wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 13:48

You will not only not be disappointed.....you will be in AWE. This monitor is practically too good to be true. All the hype you heard from media about this monitor has been understating just how good it is.

Regarding dark scenes. This monitor is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! Zero black crush, near black detail retained with zero soul destryoing ips glow and matte screen Vaseline effect. This really is an end-game product.

I have not played Tarkov but I know what you mean. I have put off playing so many games waiting due to poor black detail retention on IPS. I've waited since 2019 to play Modern Warfare campaign because of it and now I can enjoy it in all its glory.

I'm sure it will wear off eventually and become normal (as all cutting edge tech eventually becomes) but for now, this monitor leaves a lump in my throat level of speechlessness. It really is that mind-bendingly great.
Damn, that thing sounds awesome. Let's see how long I can resist. Thanks for the feedback.
DrR1pper wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 23:19
at red bull f1 factory on Friday.
Not sure how I missed that statement the first time. But if that is your job, that is awesome. Watch out for Ferrari! And send a Verstappen & Pérez autograph my way 8-)

DrR1pper

Post by DrR1pper » 24 Mar 2022, 18:46

Inco^ wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 16:35
DrR1pper,
do you think I would still be an awe if my main concern was competitive shooters (such as csgo)? I mean, I've got the Acer xv252qf 390Hz/BFI right now, would the AW3423DW be an upgrade regarding motion handling? (smoothness, clarity)
I've not tried that monitor before so I can't be certain of course but I want to say I think you'd also likely find it a welcomed upgrade over BFI on fast IPS. I play competitive csgo too and I love playing it on this monitor in full 3440x1440 ultrawide. Versus the Asus XG27AQM 240hz BFI monitor I was using before, this subjectively feels in terms of motion clarity in game like it's 80% as good as BFI on 240hz fast IPS. The reality though is that vs. BFI on IPS, even though the qd-oled has effectively zero ghosting unlike IPS, motion clarity from pixel persistance is more like 30-40% vs BFI on IPS. But it's as if the zero ghosting boosts the perceived effect in game to 60-70% of BFI on fast IPS and then with the additional doubling in screen brightness making it easier to see clearly, another 10-20% to bring it up to ~80%. I know how unobjective sounding this is but it's the best way I can think of to describe it aside from repeating what Linus also said of his impressions of the monitor, that the motion clarity is almost strobing like. I was already finding myself using my XG27AQM in non BFI mode more often than not in csgo (due to brightness) so it was extremely easy convincing that I'd move to this monitor given how well it performs, like it's taking taking a significant portion of the best of both words (motion clarity of BFI + brightness of non BFI) and mashing them together. And this doesn't even touch on the inky jet blacks, zero ips glow, zero vaseline smear from matte screen surface, etc. To me, this is such a huge improvement in visual eye candy.
Last edited by DrR1pper on 25 Mar 2022, 04:27, edited 1 time in total.

DrR1pper

Post by DrR1pper » 24 Mar 2022, 18:51

ax111 wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 17:14

Damn, that thing sounds awesome. Let's see how long I can resist. Thanks for the feedback.
Most welcome. ;)
ax111 wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 17:14
DrR1pper wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 23:19
at red bull f1 factory on Friday.
Not sure how I missed that statement the first time. But if that is your job, that is awesome. Watch out for Ferrari! And send a Verstappen & Pérez autograph my way 8-)
Haha, unfortunately not. I wish. Just touring it for the day. :)

Inco^

Post by Inco^ » 26 Mar 2022, 05:16

DrR1pper wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 18:46
Inco^ wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 16:35
DrR1pper,
I've not tried that monitor before so I can't be certain of course but I want to say I think you'd also likely find it a welcomed upgrade over BFI on fast IPS. I play competitive csgo too and I love playing it on this monitor in full 3440x1440 ultrawide. Versus the Asus XG27AQM 240hz BFI monitor I was using before, this subjectively feels in terms of motion clarity in game like it's 80% as good as BFI on 240hz fast IPS. The reality though is that vs. BFI on IPS, even though the qd-oled has effectively zero ghosting unlike IPS, motion clarity from pixel persistance is more like 30-40% vs BFI on IPS. But it's as if the zero ghosting boosts the perceived effect in game to 60-70% of BFI on fast IPS and then with the additional doubling in screen brightness making it easier to see clearly, another 10-20% to bring it up to ~80%. I know how unobjective sounding this is but it's the best way I can think of to describe it aside from repeating what Linus also said of his impressions of the monitor, that the motion clarity is almost strobing like. I was already finding myself using my XG27AQM in non BFI mode more often than not in csgo (due to brightness) so it was extremely easy convincing that I'd move to this monitor given how well it performs, like it's taking taking a significant portion of the best of both words (motion clarity of BFI + brightness of non BFI) and mashing them together. And this doesn't even touch on the inky jet blacks, zero ips glow, zero vaseline smear from matte screen surface, etc. To me, this is such a huge improvement in visual eye candy.
Thanks for your detailed answer. So if I understand correctly, you would still place the AW3423DW slightly behind the best fast-IPS monitors in the motion handling (clarity, smoothness) department.
PG248QP - XL2566K - XV252Q F - PG259QN - XL2546K - Y27gq-25 - AG251FZ - LaCie Electron 22 Blue IV