I couldn't tell FreeSync on and off apart.

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
Luviaz

I couldn't tell FreeSync on and off apart.

Post by Luviaz » 07 Apr 2024, 17:27

Hi ! I'm currently running a 180hz Freesync monitor with HDMI.

I have everything set up nicely. Freesync on, Vsync on and a frame limiter. I usually put 75 cap on more demanding AAA tittles, and 120 on something less intensive.

Problem is, I really cant tell or see Freesync action to the point where I'm doubting that it is working at all.I can see in the monitor OSD that the refresh rate is indeed variates. But other than that, i see absolute no perceived different when Freesync is off ( I deliberately disable it and run only Vsync + frame limit to make a comparison ).

The simulated difference between VRR vs Vsync in the UFO demo is quite drastic. But from what i experienced, the Vsync judder is not that jarring, or not any at all, and Freesync doesn't feel more so magically smooth that i can clearly tell: oh yeah that's freesync. Again, Vsync and Freesync (both with a frame limiter) appear more or less the same to me: Smooth when frame time is consistent, any minor variance in frame time result in a stutter of motion, almost feel like a vibration, very prominent when panning. And any big spike is still nasty, a full hitch or freeze both in motion and input.

Your idea ? I'm wondering if VRR requires games to be conscious of to work ? I'm also super confused about FSE, FSO, Windowed borderless and swapchain model of different APIs and their interaction with VRR.

Luviaz

Re: I couldn't tell FreeSync on and off apart.

Post by Luviaz » 09 Apr 2024, 13:32

Alright I manage to make things a bit clear after some extensive research, may want to put some information out in case someone come across this.

As for Freesync, it was working fine for me the whole time. A good indication is the monitor OSD, if it shows a fluactuating value, Freesync is working. Freesync also works with pretty much every game configuration and DirectX version: Fullscreen Exsclusive, Fullsreen Optimization, Windowed.

For my inability to spot the difference, I think I was over-expecting or imagining Freesync to be something else rather than itself. It sure looks almost magical when comparing with Vsync in tech demos, but in realtime application, system-sided stutters will always shows no matter what. Freesync in fact shows those frametime variants for exactly how they occured, whereas Vsync or no sync will show a much worst and prolonged version of them.

Since I'm on a AMD system, here a some extras that I figured out and think worth sharing.

For Vsync, driver Vsync works for every DirectX games. I know that it were only working with OpenGL but that's for a long long time ago, any driver after Adrenalin 22.5.1 I believe has working driver Vsync. The only time AMD driver Vsync will not work is with DX9 windowed configuration.
I don't notice any difference between in-game and driver Vsync when both work as they should. However there's a number of games with broken in game Vsync like GTA IV, Fallout 4, some does not provide a toggle at all, or old EAsports games with their Vsync effectively halfs in menu or replays. Driver vsync is good for those.

For forcing higher refresh rate, It's a bummer AMD driver does not provide that option like Nvidia, and more games that I know of, especially older games has real quirky forcing of refresh rate, they seems to always opt for 60hz or the lowest possible.
One solution is to use Special K, it has a option to overide refresh rate and works in some games. Still not a catch-all solution since I found Special K compatibility is not that consistent.
Another is Custom Resolution Utility (CRU), If I go ahead and delete all unwated resolution and leave only the desired refresh rate, games would be left with no 60hz resolution and will boot to the high refresh rate resolution. It still higly depend from games to games, those Souls 60hz console port from Fromsoftware will simply crash if they dont run in 60hz.

For having a frame cap, You'll absolutely want to cap your frame with or even without Freesync. The moment frames get queued up, input lag would be very noticeable and it feels horrible just moving your mouse cursor around.
I find in-game limiters to be most reliable, just cap at anything lower than the refresh rate and your set up could run comfortably at.
Only resort to AMD Chill or RTSS if the game does not provide a frame limiter. RTSS will sometimes induce stutter in specific games. I don't really like the idea of having a external app constantly blocking games's cpu draw calls. RTSS's a real handy tool still, it works beautifully when it does.